The Student Room Group

Differentiation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user121
How do I differentiate e^(y+2)

Does the bracket all stay the same and you just add a dy/dx?

I know that e^y is the same differentiated.

Thank you

Your question is rather ambiguous.

Is the equation :

x = e^(y+2)

y = e^(y+2)

Also, what are you differentiating wrt to ?
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Your question is rather ambiguous.

Is the equation :

x = e^(y+2)

y = e^(y+2)

Also, what are you differentiating wrt to ?

There does not need to be an equation, then the OP specified in the next post that it was wrt to x
Reply 42
Original post by TenOfThem
oops :biggrin:

Actually I think that Freudian slip should be the motto of TSR :smile:
An interesting perspective

However "not very good" the teacher is I would generally assume that they know more than a student

Can you explain how a self taught student will develop their understanding

the teacher maybe knows more stuff, but, in particular in the uk, i've experienced how most of the maths teachers just memorize the syllabi, they are not able to expand concepts further. Hence teachers restrict your understanding of mathematics.
Obviously there are exceptions to this (and i hope there are many)

most of the people i know from uk schools had never seen the definition of continuity before coming to uni...

i think with wikipedia + MIT open lectures + various lecture notes around, anyone could teach himself at least the first 2 years of a good undergraduate degree
Original post by moritzplatz
the teacher maybe knows more stuff, but, in particular in the uk, i've experienced how most of the maths teachers just memorize the syllabi, they are not able to expand concepts further. Hence teachers restrict your understanding of mathematics.
Obviously there are exceptions to this (and i hope there are many)

most of the people i know from uk schools had never seen the definition of continuity before coming to uni...

i think with wikipedia + MIT open lectures + various lecture notes around, anyone could teach himself at least the first 2 years of a good undergraduate degree

I accept that there are many poor teachers ... I said so earlier on in this thread

Now that you have expanded your definition of "self teaching" I think you may have a point ... however many people on this site seem to believe that "self teach" means read the text, do the questions, ask for help on here, take the exam
Reply 45

Well there wouldn't actually be much point, since the definition of continuity is something that's taught as part of a Uni analysis course!
I accept that there are many poor teachers ... I said so earlier on in this thread

Now that you have expanded your definition of "self teaching" I think you may have a point ... however many people on this site seem to believe that "self teach" means read the text, do the questions, ask for help on here, take the exam

yeah that's not what i meant by self teaching, in that way, you're right, it's really tough to get a good understanding!
Original post by davros
Well there wouldn't actually be much point, since the definition of continuity is something that's taught as part of a Uni analysis course!

yeah, but it's not an hard concept to grasp, at least in metric spaces.
and if you understand the simple definitions of continuity and differentiability you have the basis to understand all of the maths you need to do before uni.

the uk system is quite biased towards ODE's and calculus in general, i don't really know why to be honest, you give people the info to solve quite complex problems, and they don't even know what the derivatives they use actually are!!
If you want understanding then look no further than khanacademy

[video="youtube;XHBkQW_XuA4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBkQW_XuA4&feature=plcp[/video]
I am tempted to erase all trace of me from this thread

We are going to get soooooooo told off when MrM arrives
Reply 50
yeah, but it's not an hard concept to grasp, at least in metric spaces.
and if you understand the simple definitions of continuity and differentiability you have the basis to understand all of the maths you need to do before uni.

the uk system is quite biased towards ODE's and calculus in general, i don't really know why to be honest, you give people the info to solve quite complex problems, and they don't even know what the derivatives they use actually are!!

Well, once you've defined a metric space, etc etc. The point is that if you're going down the route of formal definitions then there's a lot of baggage to cover first! From what I can see on TSR, A level students are having enough trouble doing formal symbolic manipulation (e.g. fractions) without even worrying about underlying concepts of calculus!
Original post by davros
Well, once you've defined a metric space, etc etc. The point is that if you're going down the route of formal definitions then there's a lot of baggage to cover first! From what I can see on TSR, A level students are having enough trouble doing formal symbolic manipulation (e.g. fractions) without even worrying about underlying concepts of calculus!

not sure, they can still do second order differential equations, oh wait, it's just about remembering 3 cases and applying them mechanically every time... this is NOT maths.

i think the all system in the uk should be renewed.
it's not a coincidence that the worst students at oxford for maths are the english ones.
Reply 52
not sure, they can still do second order differential equations, oh wait, it's just about remembering 3 cases and applying them mechanically every time... this is NOT maths.

i think the all system in the uk should be renewed.
it's not a coincidence that the worst students at oxford for maths are the english ones.

I think you always have to bear in mind the distinction between maths that is applied in some sense (and I include the whole of A level in this definition, including calculus and trig), and maths that involves proof from the starting point of axioms.

I agree that the general standard of maths students in this country is shocking, but I don't believe that starting from axiomatic definitions and proofs at school level is the way to improve things.

I'm seeing people on here doing A level maths who can't even manipulate fractional expressions. That is embarrassing - and it's entirely the fault of the dumbed-down GCSE system which allows people through to A level with insufficient grasp of basic algebra, and society telling people to "do A level maths" because "it's the 'in thing' this year and we need more people doing maths".
Original post by davros
I think you always have to bear in mind the distinction between maths that is applied in some sense (and I include the whole of A level in this definition, including calculus and trig), and maths that involves proof from the starting point of axioms.

I agree that the general standard of maths students in this country is shocking, but I don't believe that starting from axiomatic definitions and proofs at school level is the way to improve things.

I'm seeing people on here doing A level maths who can't even manipulate fractional expressions. That is embarrassing - and it's entirely the fault of the dumbed-down GCSE system which allows people through to A level with insufficient grasp of basic algebra, and society telling people to "do A level maths" because "it's the 'in thing' this year and we need more people doing maths".

yeah but that's what i meant by changing the system, GCSE should be harder as well imho!
yeah but that's what i meant by changing the system, GCSE should be harder as well imho!

and A-Level looks to be far too easy so far, through my self teaching of it.If it was as hard as it should be it should be then it would be impossible to self teach, like most other subjects.
Original post by Dalek1099
and A-Level looks to be far too easy so far, through my self teaching of it.If it was as hard as it should be it should be then it would be impossible to self teach, like most other subjects.

i don't think it is impossible to self teach.

i did self teach pretty much half of my second year of maths at uni
Reply 56
Original post by Dalek1099

Self-teaching is fair enough for something like A level that is basically about problem solving technique - and I had to do a lot of it at school when my Head of Maths went off sick for a year. You couldn't expect typical students to get to grips with underlying concepts like continuity and differentiability by themselves without guidance - undergraduates often find these difficult.

Also, Maths is more amenable to self-tuition than, say, a language where you need someone to correct pronunciation, or a practical science where most students aren't privileged enough to have their own laboratory to do experiments!
I am tempted to erase all trace of me from this thread

We are going to get soooooooo told off when MrM arrives

I can still read your posts after you delete them!
Original post by Mr M
I can still read your posts after you delete them!

I was soooooooooo scared when I saw you had posted

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest