The Student Room Group

coefficient of restitution problem

Dear TSR!

I am trying to solve a problem involving the coefficient of restitution. I thought I understood it perfectly fine, but after finding this question I don’t. DOH!
The idea is..
Two balls are dropped. One large, one small. The small back is on top of the larger ball. There are two events to calculate. The impact of the larger ball with the ground. And the impact between the smaller ball and the larger ball.

You can see it better in the video link here 0 10 secs
[video="youtube;wF6pBViU6ws"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF6pBViU6ws&feature=rela ted[/video]

I already know the following (via experimental results)
1) E1 (CoR with the large ball and the ground) = 0.6
2) E2 (CoR with the two balls together) = 0.5
3) Initial height of the two balls = 1m
4) Mass of large ball = 0.5kg
5) Mass of small ball = 0.05kg
6) After the second impact the larger ball reaches a high of 0.05m above the ground.

Also postive indicates downwards travel, negative indicates upwards.

First event… (pretty sure this is right)

Ball 1 hits the ground at 4.42 m/s
It rebounds at -2.66 m/s, because 4.42*0.6 = 2.66

Second event… (think something has gone wrong here)

Ball 1 is traveling at -2.66 m/s
Ball 2 is traveling at 4.42 m/s
Therefore approach speed is 7.08 m/s because 4.42 + 2.66 = 7.08
APP speed x E2 = 7.08*0.5 = 3.54 m/s separation speed.
Ball 1 (larger ball) reaches 0.05m above the ground after this. So (2*g*0.05)^0.5 = new speed v1 = -1m/s
There for Ball 2 must be traveling at –v2 = app speed + v1 = - 4.54 m/s

This is where I become confused…

During the experiment the smaller ball went flying off. Much faster than the -4.54 m/s I found above. Where am I making an error? Am I missing some events? Something wrong with my algebra? Have I not considered something else?

Also how can I do this with Conservation of momentum? What would be the correct formula for the COR/COM for these two events?
Original post by got-it-wrong

If that's you in the video, I'd query the experiemental data. The larger ball seemed to rise ~0.25m, which makes a significant difference to your calculation, which is correct in principle, as best I can tell.

If it's not you, I'd still query the data.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
If that's you in the video, I'd query the experiemental data. The larger ball seemed to rise ~0.25m, which makes a significant difference to your calculation, which are correct in principle, as best I can tell.

Looks like I need to find a new party trick. :mad:

I use a rubber duck and a football.
Reply 3
If that's you in the video, I'd query the experiemental data. The larger ball seemed to rise ~0.25m, which makes a significant difference to your calculation, which is correct in principle, as best I can tell.

The video was just an example I found online....

Do you think the calculations I have done are correct, and my data may be wrong?
The video was just an example I found online....

Do you think the calculations I have done are correct, and my data may be wrong?

Yes. It's possible that the final velocity is sensitive to one of the items of data that is difficult to measure, and that a small variation may produce a large change in the result.

The theoretical maximum height is 9 times the original, with a velocity of 3 times the velocity with which the larger ball hits the ground, if it's a perfectly elastic collision.
Reply 5
Yes. It's possible that the final velocity is sensitive to one of the items of data that is difficult to measure, and that a small variation may produce a large change in the result.

The theoretical maximum height is 9 times the original, with a velocity of 3 times the velocity with which the larger ball hits the ground, if it's a perfectly elastic collision.

I read about the 9h, 3v in another place. However I was wondering if that is affected by the masses of the 2 balls relative to each other?
I read about the 9h, 3v in another place. However I was wondering if that is affected by the masses of the 2 balls relative to each other?

Yes, it is.

There are a few articles on the web.
Reply 7
Yes, it is.

There are a few articles on the web.

Thanks for your help.

Think my e2 number is way off. Should be around 0.75 - 0.8.

Thanks for the help.

+rep

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Interesting question.

Quick Reply

Latest