The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail my Maths GCSE..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Diety
Try to get some tutoring/extra lessons to explain things you don't understand. I was in a similar position to you, but I was doing the higher paper; I consistently got sub 50% in tests and was predicted a D, however I got extra tuition in the months leading up to the exam and it made me get the hang of it and begin to believe in myself more. As a result, I ended up with an A grade which shocked everyone (my maths teacher was so amazed he gave me 12 do-nuts as a reward! :biggrin: )

Omg, best Maths teacher ever! And really gratz on your achievement :yy:

On OP's topic, perhaps it's the foundation you don't get. Try not to memorise the method of how to do it but instead understand it. It will be so much more clear. It's difficult at first but take it slow. Keep practising and I guarantee ur hard work will pay off xD Do you use MyMaths? MyMaths is great. Do the revision stuff not the H/W.
Reply 21
Original post by S.R
If you really don't get maths then what I would suggest is just blindly memorising the steps required to solve a certain problem. This will get you through most maths exams. It won't work with science though.

what do you mean, could you give any examples?
Reply 22
Original post by Rikathetika
Wow! :3 That sounds very good, I could try and ask my maths teacher...

That would be good, or it could be beneficial, if you find your teacher's style confusing, to find a different maths teacher, which is what I did; either way I think would help :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by MrJiggly
Omg, best Maths teacher ever! And really gratz on your achievement :yy:

On OP's topic, perhaps it's the foundation you don't get. Try not to memorise the method of how to do it but instead understand it. It will be so much more clear. It's difficult at first but take it slow. Keep practising and I guarantee ur hard work will pay off xD Do you use MyMaths? MyMaths is great. Do the revision stuff not the H/W.

I've actually never heard of Mymaths, I go and give it a shot! thank you!
Reply 24
Don't give up, honestly, I failed Maths and regret it big time (even though I may gain an equivalent qualifcation to it, but it's more work to do in college)
I have a maths exam on Thursday,I'm stupid and I'm doing foundation. I can't possibly do this exam, it's too difficult I have been doing past papers all week and revision as well. I get an average of 60% in my papers, I know I'm not going to pass this exam but I'm so terrified to fail. No matter how hard I try to revise or learn something it takes me ages, I've been revising all week and I don't want to give up, but eventually it's brought me to a point where I want to..

I know Maths is an essential and you must have it, but I'm not academic, I'm not smart enough for this subject..It's not easy, algebra is not bloomin' easy. No matter what I do, I end up getting frustrated and cry about it. I take breaks but when I get back to revision I still get frustrated.

So I ended up considering for Essential skills in tech/college for next year but I feel like a slacker, thinking that everything is going to be alright and easy for me in tech in the future, whilst I sit here blowing my chance to get this GCSE away. But there's a part of me saying "This is your chance" And another part saying "You can't , just wait til college it will be easier"

I don't know what to think anymore, I'm scared and terrified to do this exam..I just can't learn it,I feel like giving up.

Don't give up.Your not Stupid.It does not matter that you are taking the foundation paper.You will be fine!Give it your all.You will do well :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Blazinq
Don't give up, honestly, I failed Maths and regret it big time (even though I may gain an equivalent qualifcation to it, but it's more work to do in college)

Did you do the essential skills one? Is it harder? I heard it was easier...
Reply 27

What she means is to memorise the method instead of understanding how to do it. Simple example: x+2=3
x=1 because you move 2 to the other side and change the sign. This works but you need to understand that it is because you need to add 1 to 2 to make 3.
Just memorising the method should get you through some simpler questions but really it's a risk cuz you might forget it in the exam and if the wording of the question is different, you'll go completely blank. I know this because I used to do this but I'm glad I've grown out of this habit. It is so much easier if you actually understand the method by logic. You'll be prepared for any question they throw at you. Of course some stuff at that level, you just have to memorise :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Beat
I find that part annoying. I never understood it when I first started my Maths GCSE. Is it when it's something like -9 + -3 or -8 - 6?

Yeah and sometimes there's square numbers and wen I look in the aswers tey disappear..?
Honestly, being more positive is a good way to be. Eliminate the stress and put the GCSE in perspective. You understand the majority of information and worrying wont make things better. I know it is not useful advice, but I hope it helps in some way.
Reply 30
I'd really appreciate that thank you. Yes something like that I know how to put them into groups but it's the plus and minuses I'm stuck at.
So let me establish some fundamentals

Say we have -4(-x+9) = 15
-4x-x=4x -4x9=-36

So judging by this we can say A minus multiplied by a minus = a positive

We can also say if -4(x+9) -4 multiplied by x = -4x because a negative multiplied by a positive is always a negative.

Lastly 4x4=16 we can say that a positive number multiplied by a positive number results in a positive.

Things about fractions also

1/2=represents 1 divided by 2 which is 0.5 as a decimal
We can also find an equivalent fraction by doubling the fractions numbers on the top and bottom so 1/2=2/4 and doubling once more 2/4=3/6

When adding a fraction say 4/1+10/9 we need the denominators to be the same before we can add them so when you multiply the bottom by 9 then 4 will also be multiplied by 9
4x9=36 so the new equation is 36/9+10/9=46/9

With fractions we can also multiply them to make them whole numbers so say 3/2 we can multiply it by the denominator to make it 3 on its own(DO NOT FORGET TO MULTIPLY THE WHOLE EQUATION BY 2)

When taking away fractions apply the same rule so lets go for 1/1(which is just 1) -2/5 we multiply 1/1 to become 5/5-2/5 to make 3/5

Similarly if you are struggling with dividing you have a fraction say 2/10 / 6/9
Just flip the second fraction around and multiply so 2/10 x 9/6 = 18/60 divided by 6 = 3/10 in its simplest form.

Square roots may also appear on the paper be aware about the common types to come up
remember a square root has to be of a number that could multiply by itself a common example square root 4 we know that 2x2 = 4 so the square root is 2
again with square root of 9 we know that 3x3=9 so the square root is 3
lastly a more complicated one root 81 well working it out 9x9=81 so square rooting 81 will give you 9.

Any other questions feel free to quote me, also remember to apply BIDMAS/PEDMAS or whatever when you are working out a solution.
Reply 31
Did you do the essential skills one? Is it harder? I heard it was easier...

Key skills (I've not done it yet, I think it's later on in the year or next year) and I did a key skills maths in School, still found the Edexcel GCSE easier though, despite failing it by 10 UMS marks.
Reply 32

For example:

x2 dx=?\int x^2\ dx = ?

Looks fearsome doesn't it?

Here is the theory behind solving this problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_integral

But you don't need to know that! All you need to know is "add one to the power, divide by the new power"

Try it with me

the power is 2 so adding one to that gives 3 and you then divide the whole thing by 3 so the answer to the question is

x3/3 x^3 /3

And you have just solved an A level maths problem. No need to understand what you are doing just blindly add one to the power and then divide by the new power. Works most times. Tbh this is one of the main failings of A level maths in that it doesn't actually give the theory behind the maths and one can pass by just following the rules sort of like how you can pass chemistry practicals by just mixing whatever the book tells you to mix without having a clue why you are mixing it.
Reply 33
DO not listen to SR he is teaching you alevel maths, you will not need to know this please don't take his words in for foundation they will just frustrate you
Reply 34
Original post by S.R
For example:

x2 dx=?\int x^2\ dx = ?

Looks fearsome doesn't it?

Here is the theory behind solving this problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_integral

But you don't need to know that! All you need to know is "add one to the power, divide by the new power"

Try it with me

the power is 2 so adding one to that gives 3 and you then divide the whole thing by 3 so the answer to the question is

x3/3 x^3 /3

And you have just solved an A level maths problem. No need to understand what you are doing just blindly add one to the power and then divide by the new power. Works most times. Tbh this is one of the main failings of A level maths in that it doesn't actually give the theory behind the maths and one can pass by just following the rules sort of like how you can pass chemistry practicals by just mixing whatever the book tells you to mix without having a clue why you are mixing it.
Shes doing GCSE, not alevel a bit irrelevant don't you think? integration isn't until C1 or Add maths
Reply 35
Original post by Robbie242
So let me establish some fundamentals

Say we have -4(-x+9) = 15
-4x-x=4x -4x9=-36

So judging by this we can say A minus multiplied by a minus = a positive

We can also say if -4(x+9) -4 multiplied by x = -4x because a negative multiplied by a positive is always a negative.

Lastly 4x4=16 we can say that a positive number multiplied by a positive number results in a positive.

Things about fractions also

1/2=represents 1 divided by 2 which is 0.5 as a decimal
We can also find an equivalent fraction by doubling the fractions numbers on the top and bottom so 1/2=2/4 and doubling once more 2/4=3/6

When adding a fraction say 4/1+10/9 we need the denominators to be the same before we can add them so when you multiply the bottom by 9 then 4 will also be multiplied by 9
4x9=36 so the new equation is 36/9+10/9=46/9

With fractions we can also multiply them to make them whole numbers so say 3/2 we can multiply it by the denominator to make it 3 on its own(DO NOT FORGET TO MULTIPLY THE WHOLE EQUATION BY 2)

When taking away fractions apply the same rule so lets go for 1/1(which is just 1) -2/5 we multiply 1/1 to become 5/5-2/5 to make 3/5

Similarly if you are struggling with dividing you have a fraction say 2/10 / 6/9
Just flip the second fraction around and multiply so 2/10 x 9/6 = 18/60 divided by 6 = 3/10 in its simplest form.

Square roots may also appear on the paper be aware about the common types to come up
remember a square root has to be of a number that could multiply by itself a common example square root 4 we know that 2x2 = 4 so the square root is 2
again with square root of 9 we know that 3x3=9 so the square root is 3
lastly a more complicated one root 81 well working it out 9x9=81 so square rooting 81 will give you 9.

Any other questions feel free to quote me, also remember to apply BIDMAS/PEDMAS or whatever when you are working out a solution.

So these are basically the basics of fractions..Thank you I never knew about that flipping the fraction around.I'll try and remember these, btw what is a BIDMAS/PEDMAS?
Is that like BODMAS? Brackets, ___,Division,multiply and addition and subtract?
Tbh I've found that people who've been put in for foundation often get a comparable %ge in Higher exams. Remember if you get 60% doing higher, you'll get a C.
Why don't you try a higher paper?
Reply 37
So these are basically the basics of fractions..Thank you I never knew about that flipping the fraction around.I'll try and remember these, btw what is a BIDMAS/PEDMAS?
Is that like BODMAS? Brackets, ___,Division,multiply and addition and subtract?
It's exactly that Brackets indicies (squared etc) division multiplication addition and subtraction, this is probably the only fundamentals for GCSE foundation. btw they might come up with root 100 or root 1 on the paper just remember 1x1 = 1 so root 1 is just 1 and 10x10=100 so root 100 = 10 that might commonly come up. Any other questions on any other topics I am free to help!
(edited 11 years ago)
honestly, i was the same as you- and i walked into every maths exam thinking i would fail and i didnt. i managed to pull out a C.

just try your hardest- thats honestly all you can do.
just keep working. if you go through the text book or your revision guide and try your hardest to learn what you need to youll do ok.
i found CGP revision books really helpfull- especially for maths. it tells you all you need to know and its all easy to understand.
what worked for me was making revision cards on all the key facts and then just keep reading them over and over.

i understand how your feeling- but just try your best.

i agree with the post about trying the higher. i took one of my math exams in higher- and literally guessed half the paper and i still managed a C. it might help you to try this as theoretically it is easier to get a C as when it comes down to it you need fewer marks.
I know I'm not going to pass this exam but I'm so terrified to fail.

[...]

I just can't learn it,I feel like giving up.

You're hardly going to pass with that attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest