The Student Room Group

different attitudes to Love

some people believe love is a many splendoured thing , that it's the be all and end all and is a rare and beautiful thing, and it is a high ideal..
would you choose love over reason, or love over doing technically the right thing - i.e. if you were with someone and then fell in love with another leave them for this as you have to pursue this ideal if you find it. is this the way it should be? are people who treat others unfairly in the game of love bad people? what do you think?
Thats tricky. Depends how bad, as sometimes love can be confused with lust or physical attraction.

I hate hypothetical questions!
Love is the selfish persuit of our own interest through another.
Reply 3
it all depends. i would only choose love over the right thing if i felt that my love was strong enough, that the person felt the same about me and if the person i might end up hurting was someone that either deserved it (ie treated her really badly in the past or had done something really bad to me). otherwise i think that i would choose the right thing.
if i was with someone and fell in love with someone else it would depend on how my feelings for the girl that i was with were and if i knew for a fact that i might have a better relationship if i left who i was with for someone else. of course, she had to have feelings for me as well. it all just depends on the situation
love vs reason? I'd pick reason. I'm weird like that. :P
like if I fancy a guy and I know that another girl fancies the same guy, I let her have him. I rather not put him through the rollercoaster and eventually making him choose who he wants to be with (and if it isn't me, it'll kill me) that sort of thing. better just let her have him and like someone else
Reply 5
strawberry
love vs reason? I'd pick reason. I'm weird like that. :P
like if I fancy a guy and I know that another girl fancies the same guy, I let her have him. I rather not put him through the rollercoaster and eventually making him choose who he wants to be with (and if it isn't me, it'll kill me) that sort of thing. better just let her have him and like someone else

That's not really love though is it?

I think the OP means stuff like would you give up a great job for love, die for love etcetc. Answer, I think so, but who knows?
Reply 6
I think that is how you view love. Some people think its this great power that takes hold of you, but to me, i mean there is no 'heart' involved. it's all in your mind...like that A1 lyric 'u said that love was just a state of mind...' haha love them...anyway...but yeah--when you are in love its more you training yourself to be less selfish and think of another person. I hate when people say 'follow ur heart not ur mind'...my heart just pumps blood--all your emotions including love are in your brain and thats why people do 'illogical' things when in love like give up jobs because they have trained themsleves to think a certain way. would I give up a job or something? It really depends on the circumstance.
kizer
That's not really love though is it?

I think the OP means stuff like would you give up a great job for love, die for love etcetc. Answer, I think so, but who knows?

true. but I loved my ex...and still do. I would do anything for him...that is anything that wouldn't ruin my life.
keenya2006
I think that is how you view love. Some people think its this great power that takes hold of you, but to me, i mean there is no 'heart' involved. it's all in your mind...like that A1 lyric 'u said that love was just a state of mind...' haha love them...anyway...but yeah--when you are in love its more you training yourself to be less selfish and think of another person. I hate when people say 'follow ur heart not ur mind'...my heart just pumps blood--all your emotions including love are in your brain and thats why people do 'illogical' things when in love like give up jobs because they have trained themsleves to think a certain way. would I give up a job or something? It really depends on the circumstance.

I would say that just shows you've never really fallen in love. I've felt lust, affection, etc for people and thought I was in love with them, but I really did fall in love this year and I finally realise that it really does feel like the most important thing in the world. I was so sceptical when people said things like 'You'll care more about their happiness than your own', etc - seemed completely incomprehensible to me - but it's true...

*switches slush off* :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending