The Student Room Group

What degree would help me achieve my career goal?

1. History from either Edinburgh/Bristol/York/Manchester/UEA
2. Politics and International Relations from either Bristol/York/Sheffield/Manchester/UEA
3. Philosophy and Politics from either LSE/Durham/Edinburgh/Manchester/UEA
4. History with a Year Abroad from either UCL/Exeter (Cornwall)/UEA/Essex/Kent
5. History and American Studies with a Year Abroad from either Nottingham/Sussex/Birmingham/Kent/Leicester

Rank the three options in order of suitability/likelihood of getting onto a grad scheme at a national newspaper :smile:

thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Also, is it experience over academia or vice versa in the j industry?
I'd go with Politics and Philosophy! Politics keeps you up to date with current affairs and philosophy will teach you how to think... Great skills for any budding journalist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Northern_Ireland
I'd go with Politics and Philosophy! Politics keeps you up to date with current affairs and philosophy will teach you how to think... Great skills for any budding journalist.

Would it matter what uni I studied Phi & Pol at?
Any of those degrees are very well suited to journalism. What will be important though is writing for the student newspaper, perhaps editing it in later years, being published in local newspapers and work experience with the big national papers.
Reply 5
Original post by Phil Dunphy
Would it matter what uni I studied Phi & Pol at?

It does matter a bit. Employers are not really interested in degrees achieved from Universities ranking 30th onward, because their first class degree, sometimes, is equal to a 2:2 degree in a top Uni.
So when applying, make sure you go for the top ~25 Unis.
Reply 6
Original post by cuppa
It does matter a bit. Employers are not really interested in degrees achieved from Universities ranking 30th onward, because their first class degree, sometimes, is equal to a 2:2 degree in a top Uni.
So when applying, make sure you go for the top ~25 Unis.

Is UEA?
Reply 7
History with a Year Abroad is a good degree for journalism. Politics with a Year Abroad would be better though.
Reply 8
Is UEA?

From what I heard, it's not a bad University to study at. But you should do some research into it. You not only have to make sure the University is 'good' -- you also have to like it. You will spend three years there, after all.
Reply 9
Original post by cuppa
From what I heard, it's not a bad University to study at. But you should do some research into it. You not only have to make sure the University is 'good' -- you also have to like it. You will spend three years there, after all.

Yeah, it looks a VERY nice university!
All of the options there are great and perfect for it, however; I'd suggest under-going some working experience. Do some voluntary work within that field: write for the University newspaper; get some work published/edited; maybe even try and do a voluntary placement/internship at a big named Newspaper. After a few years, gather all of your work in one giant portfolio to show off when applying/interviewing.
Reply 11
Original post by Himynameskiefer
All of the options there are great and perfect for it, however; I'd suggest under-going some working experience. Do some voluntary work within that field: write for the University newspaper; get some work published/edited; maybe even try and do a voluntary placement/internship at a big named Newspaper. After a few years, gather all of your work in one giant portfolio to show off when applying/interviewing.

I will :smile: Is American Studies and Hist a good choice or no? I've heard its a doss degree
Reply 12
I will :smile: Is American Studies and Hist a good choice or no? I've heard its a doss degree

Original post by Himynameskiefer

Cheers, see above post
!

Not quite sure with the American Studies part, however; History is a fantastic degree - so maybe just stick with History with possibly the year abroad? It depends what you would enjoy though. If you'd enjoy American Studies then by all means go for it.

Just make sure you do as much as you can to get experience. If you left University with just the piece of paper, you'd just be another person in the working world fighting for employment. If you left University with more than just that piece of paper, i.e. as much versatile experience, portfolios, external projects with companies, good references from those companies and so fourth, you'll be high up already.

Basically do as much as you can to get the job you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending