The Student Room Group

AQA Lit B - LITB1 Aspects of Narrative Retake 18th January 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thank you :smile: Yup, i understand now. You've been a great help btw. Really need to ace this exam.
Reply 41
Original post by Unsworth
If anyone wants any advice for this exam be it on structure, content, analysis, context, whatever, feel free to PM me - I loved it to bits and got 120/120 ums for it in the summer.

The texts I studied were The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Robert Browning poems.

When you say "Comment on whether the author has purposely created gaps in this chapter or missed out a certain time period" what do you mean by this? :colondollar:
Reply 42
What do you mean when you say "Comment on whether the author has purposely created gaps in this chapter or missed out a certain time period"
Reply 43
Original post by Tdbeeee
When you say "Comment on whether the author has purposely created gaps in this chapter or missed out a certain time period" what do you mean by this? :colondollar:

So if in a chapter the timing has suddenly jumped from say a Friday to a Monday - missing out the weekend.. or say like it does in Gatsby from one season to another (summer), comment on why they may have done this/the significance of this.
Reply 44
What is usually the significance of a narrative gap?!
Reply 45
[QUOTE="lisa96;40898779"]
Original post by Astrid_Bastrid

do u have any good notes for ch7 that u could send me. i find that chapter quite difficult

thanks

It won't come up, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 46
In section B what are the main points to talk about...like what would YOU personally focus on if you were doing this section?!
Reply 47
How many people think the exam will be on chapter 6? If not which chapter do you think?!?!
Reply 48
Original post by niall13
How many people think the exam will be on chapter 6? If not which chapter do you think?!?!

If we are talking Gatsby here then yes I would put money on chapter 6 being the one asked on. However, AQA may be cheeky and ask it on a different chapter, possibly 1 or 2.. but I am pretty sure it will be on 6.
Reply 49
Original post by zakkaz
X

In response to your section B essay.. I think it was quite good. There were points where I felt you perhaps strayed a little from the question, thus losing you AO1 marks, but on the whole you stayed on focus. There was a bit of AO2 discussion which was good. I think what let you down was perhaps your AO3; you included a critic quote, and also different interpretations in the form of a marxist approach, but maybe just develop these a bit more. Your Gatsby paragraphs were very strong here, so were your Ancient Mariner ones. Perhaps try to include a bit of evaluation too of the different views you put forward if you really want to be getting into the top band for an A.

As it stands, I would give that a high B.
Original post by lisa96
im going to be doing the exam in june, what chapter do u think is most likely to come up

Anything besides whatever comes up in jan and probably not 7 cos it came up in june 12, I'd say.
Reply 51
Hey guys!

I'm doing this exam too, and I feel totally unprepared. D:

Texts: The Kite Runner, Dubliners by James Joyce and Browning & Tennyson poetry.

I was just wondering if for the Section A Question 2 would you have to argue the statement/question equally to gain more marks or could you argue one side more than the other?
Original post by whatktdid
Hey guys!

I'm doing this exam too, and I feel totally unprepared. D:

Texts: The Kite Runner, Dubliners by James Joyce and Browning & Tennyson poetry.

I was just wondering if for the Section A Question 2 would you have to argue the statement/question equally to gain more marks or could you argue one side more than the other?

We have been told that as long as you attempt both sides of the argument, you can have some imbalance and argue towards a certain side more, as it is most likely that the question will lean towards a particular response. :smile:
Reply 53
How would you write about form? I know you mention that it's a novel within a novel, a love story and 20th century tragedy but I'm confused on how I would mention them in my exam?
Is anyone else taking this exam for the first time?
I am so so scared, it's my first A-level exam ever and my essay structure is so bad in exam conditions! :frown:

I am doing: The Great Gatsby, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Enduring Love and Frost poetry.

Is anyone else doing Frost???
:smile:
Original post by Tdbeeee
How would you write about form? I know you mention that it's a novel within a novel, a love story and 20th century tragedy but I'm confused on how I would mention them in my exam?

We are told to establish form in our first paragraph, so like: 'In this chapter of Fitzgerald's 20th century American tragic novel...' (for section Aa)

And then later on in the essay I'd do a paragraph about form and how it relates to the story, with lots of language analysis. Here is an example of one I did, it's not been marked so it's open to criticism hehe

Additionally, throughout this chapter elements of the tragic love story are also present, with Gatsby's 'heart in a constant, turbulent riot'. Here, 'constant' represents how his love for Daisy is indestructible and ever-lasting and 'turbulent riot' symbolises how unsettled he is without Daisy. The fact that his 'heart' has this description implies that his emotions are indeed genuine with no aspects of superficiality present, which is more than can be said for Daisy as she continues to purely see Gatsby for no more than his material possessions, rather than his sentimentality.

I hope this helped a little bit :smile:
Reply 56
I'm wondering about the Auden poems, because on the AQA website it says that for 2013 they are replacing some of it with different ones. Does that mean for the January retake we'd have to study those new poems too?
Original post by Unsworth
If anyone wants any advice for this exam be it on structure, content, analysis, context, whatever, feel free to PM me - I loved it to bits and got 120/120 ums for it in the summer.

The texts I studied were The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Robert Browning poems.

Hey :smile: Do you have any sample answers you've done saved on your computer that you wouldnt mind sending me? Thanks a lot :biggrin: xxx
Reply 58
Original post by emilyjcastles
Hey :smile: Do you have any sample answers you've done saved on your computer that you wouldnt mind sending me? Thanks a lot :biggrin: xxx

All I have got is a model answer I made for Section A, Question A. Here it is:
Reply 59
Original post by emilyjcastles

I am attaching a Tennyson section A essay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending