The Student Room Group

Finally getting over someone?

Hey,

So my relationship of 3 years ended ages ago, like last december/january, and i've been doing great, not contacted her at all since then since it ended really badly.

I then got another girlfriend which lasted like 3 months, that ended but we're still friends and everything, but I'm back to feeling how I was when the previous one ended and I cant understand it. Whenever I think about how it was/how it ended i get really breathless and upset and it feels like I cant control it at all.

I've not told anyone because frankly its embarassing that I feel this way after so long, and I know contacting her is the worst possible thing I could do, but how do i properly move on and just forget it. I have no idea what to do :frown:
Original post by chegu07
Hey,

So my relationship of 3 years ended ages ago, like last december/january, and i've been doing great, not contacted her at all since then since it ended really badly.

I then got another girlfriend which lasted like 3 months, that ended but we're still friends and everything, but I'm back to feeling how I was when the previous one ended and I cant understand it. Whenever I think about how it was/how it ended i get really breathless and upset and it feels like I cant control it at all.

I've not told anyone because frankly its embarassing that I feel this way after so long, and I know contacting her is the worst possible thing I could do, but how do i properly move on and just forget it. I have no idea what to do :frown:

maybe you still like her...
Ah, the post breakup woes. I remember those.

There's no tried and true method for getting over someone, but I'd like to offer my personal way of dealing with these situations.
It's natural to miss someone who has taken up a large period of your life (Yeah, Three years is a long time) but you're most likely looking at it with rose-tinted glasses. You have to realise that in the end, the relationship wasn't the greatest, otherwise you'd still be with her. S*** happens.

One of the most important things to do is keep busy. Go out, meet friends, make new ones. Do schoolwork, do paid work (If you have a job) and the feeling eventually fades.
As a person who has gone through several breakups and whined like a b**** about each one, I figured out that's the best way to move on.

For me, at least.
I hope I helped!
-Dan
Reply 3
Sounds like you loved her. It gets easier mate. I broke with an ex over 3 years ago and dated various women since but she is always the one i think about. Its the old saying "the one that got away". Ull most probably always think about her, just dont let it get on top of you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I've heard the rule is that it takes about half the length of the original relationship to really get over someone. Which considering a year is about the time you stop finding things of theirs about the place sounds about right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending