The Student Room Group

Computer Games Development Queens vs Plymouth

Hello,

I am currently studying A-levels in Northern Ireland and I am thinking about applying to both Queens University in Belfast and Plymouth University. I tried to do some research about games development courses on both of these unis but I wasnt able to find anything constructive or informative. I was wondering if there is anyone with the similiar problem or someone that could perhaps guide me in the right direction. Another question I wanted to ask is the difference between computer science/software development and games. Would you be able to work in the software industry with a degree in games and vice-versa? I heard a lot of people say that games development is harder and makes you a superior programmer.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
bump...

anyone?
Reply 2
bump again
The course instructor for my college course says that a generic computer science course is better if you haven't got a field of expertise that you are planning on going in to and it will keep more options available. That being said, each computer games course may be different from each other so you would have to look in to them separately. Going to an open day would be best, or emailing the universities if funds are tight.

I think you would be able to work in the software industry even with a degree in games as it will show the possible employers to skills you have. Also a major thing to note, my course instructor says that after the first job, the degree you have got kinda gets outweighed by job experience. He has worked at universities and big companies before if you would like to know.

I hope that has helped a bit, because I am looking in to a games course as well.
To say it makes you a "superior programmer" is a little silly. It really depends on whether or not students work on their coding skills outside of education.

You'd be better off just doing Computer Science, as quite a lot of regular software development companies will require a degree in either Computer Science or Software Engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by overskrill
To say it makes you a "superior programmer" is a little silly. It really depends on whether or not students work on their coding skills outside of education.

You'd be better off just doing Computer Science, as quite a lot of regular software development companies will require a degree in either Computer Science or Software Engineering.

So you are saying that with computer games development degree, you have less chances of finding a programming job outside the games industry?
Original post by masqurin
So you are saying that with computer games development degree, you have less chances of finding a programming job outside the games industry?

For many graduate jobs, definitely. Getting into the games industry is difficult enough. A computer science degree will give you the educational requirement to get into the games industry as well as plain 'ole software development, networking, database administration, consultancy, etc, whereas a games development degree will just give you the educational requirement to get into games development. The gaming industry is ludicrously competitive career-wise, on top of the degree you need to be able to show that you are capable of what they're asking for (usually by creating your own small 3D game). I'd suggest going with computer science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
For many graduate jobs, definitely. Getting into the games industry is difficult enough. A computer science degree will give you the educational requirement to get into the games industry as well as plain 'ole software development, networking, database administration, consultancy, etc, whereas a games development degree will just give you the educational requirement to get into games development. The gaming industry is ludicrously competitive career-wise, on top of the degree you need to be able to show that you are capable of what they're asking for (usually by creating your own small 3D game). I'd suggest going with computer science.

Everything you've just said (apart from the fact that games industry is highly competitive) is the complete opposite of what ive been told. We had quite a lot of workshops and talks with people from the software industry (including open days at queens) and all of the companies said that they would welcome student with a games degree in any software job. Im assuming that you are thinking about creative side of games designing live level designing, story line etc. The courses Im thinking about are programming only. And from what I've been told by programmers working in the games industry, programming software and games is more less the same even at the highest level with games including a lot of physics(thats why many people consider it being harder).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by masqurin
Everything you've just said (apart from the fact that games industry is highly competitive) is the complete opposite of what ive been told. We had quite a lot of workshops and talks with people from the software industry (including open days at queens) and all of the companies said that they would welcome student with a games degree in any software job. Im assuming that you are thinking about creative side of games designing live level designing, story line etc. The courses Im thinking about are programming only. And from what I've been told by programmers working in the games industry, programming software and games is more less the same even at the highest level with games including a lot of physics(thats why many people consider it being harder).

I just told you that a lot of graduate jobs (a lot..) just in software development require degrees in either computer science, software engineering or electrical and/or electronic engineering.

Having a degree in Computer Games Development will not allow you to even apply for these jobs. Of course there will be some vacancies that just require a software-related degree, or an IT-related degree, in which case Computer Games Development would be fine, but in the long run you'd be far better off with a degree in Computer Science.

Like I said, CompSci opens up a lot of doors, whereas Games Development leaves you with the games industry and SOME software engineering vacancies.

I'm not saying you won't get a job once you graduate, Queen's is a reputable university (although their computing-related degrees aren't quite up to par) and you definitely still have chances of breaking into the industry after graduation, but you'll definitely need to try and stand out.

TL;DR: CompSci > Games Development in the long run.
Reply 9
Queen's is a reputable university (although their computing-related degrees aren't quite up to par)

What do you think about university of Plymouth and their computer related courses?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending