The Student Room Group

Confused about tuition fees classification, PLEASE HELP

One of the universities I have an offer from sent me an email saying I needed to fill in their questionnaire about my nationality because they believed I could be an International student. I can only assume this was because I moved to Spain with my mum when I was 8 and returned to the UK when I was 13 (had to include my school information in UCAS)

I have lived back in the UK now for 4 years (5 by the time I go to university), both my parents are British and I was born in Britain.

After sending all these details to the university and a copy of my passport, the university have classified me as an EU student. Is this correct? Am I not a home student? Any advice please?! I'm a bit confused.
Reply 1
I don't think you should be considered an International student just because you lived abroad for a little while when you were younger, maybe you should contact the Uni and ask why they are classifying you as an EU student when you have a British nationality
Reply 2
I don't understand either! Both my parents are British, I was born in Britain, I have residency in Britain and have done for the majority of my life so I don't understand why they can classify me as an EU student. I think I'll just have to get in touch with them because I don't think an EU student is entitled to the maintenance loan which I really need :frown:
You should contact the university and explain all this to them. I personally don't believe you should be classified as an international student...
Reply 4
I have emailed them with all my information again - I am very concerned because I sent them all the information about living in Spain when I was younger and about having lived in England again now for over 4 years, my passport that shows I'm a British National and my parents details and they've still classified me as an EU student, so I really don't know what more I can say :frown:
Reply 5
Contact the Uni; I don't think you should be classified as a EU student. People who lived here for only five years in total -- and who do not have British nationality -- get classified as home students, so I have no idea why they decided you are not one...

EDIT: Maybe that University has some specific requirements you do not meet? :/
Reply 6
Original post by cuppa
Contact the Uni; I don't think you should be classified as a EU student. People who lived here for only five years in total -- and who do not have British nationality -- get classified as home students, so I have no idea why they decided you are not one...

EDIT: Maybe that University has some specific requirements you do not meet? :/

I thought that too but then when I looked on the fees section of the website it said:

[h="3"]3. Definition of a 'home' student[/h]To be classified as a 'home' student an applicant must meet ALL of the following criteria:
[INDENT]i. the applicant must have 'settled status' in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act (1971) on the 'first day of the first academic year of their course';
[/INDENT]AND
[INDENT]ii. the applicant must have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK and Islands (Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for at least the three years immediately preceding the 'first day of the first academic year of their course';
[/INDENT]AND
[INDENT]iii. the main purpose for residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full time education during any part of the three-year period.
[/INDENT]
Reply 7
Well from those criteria I'd say you're definitely not an EU student. Contact them and ask them why you've been classified as such.
Reply 8
I will do, thank you!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
You're definitely a home student. Even if you still lived in Spain or had just recently returned, you'd still be a home student as you can be resident in the EU/EEA or Switzerland if you're British and still be a home student (as you're just exercising your right of residence).

Often the people dealing with this sort of thing in the uni finance office don't know what they're doing. I had a lot of trouble with my university when I started because I'd lived in Switzerland for the previous few years and someone had clearly seen this without knowing any of the rules and tried to classify me as an overseas student until I filled in a fee questionnaire which I couldn't actually fill in. They had clearly formatted the form for people who did have some reason for their fee status to be in doubt, and it made no sense if you didn't. It was very frustrating trying to get them to understand that, but eventually I got through to someone higher up who said they didn't know why I'd been asked to fill it in either. :rolleyes:

So yeah, keep chasing it up with them, it's definitely a mistake.
What do Student Finance say? I'm with the others on this - you do sound like a home student.
Reply 11
Original post by heidigirl
You're definitely a home student. Even if you still lived in Spain or had just recently returned, you'd still be a home student as you can be resident in the EU/EEA or Switzerland if you're British and still be a home student (as you're just exercising your right of residence).

Often the people dealing with this sort of thing in the uni finance office don't know what they're doing. I had a lot of trouble with my university when I started because I'd lived in Switzerland for the previous few years and someone had clearly seen this without knowing any of the rules and tried to classify me as an overseas student until I filled in a fee questionnaire which I couldn't actually fill in. They had clearly formatted the form for people who did have some reason for their fee status to be in doubt, and it made no sense if you didn't. It was very frustrating trying to get them to understand that, but eventually I got through to someone higher up who said they didn't know why I'd been asked to fill it in either. :rolleyes:

So yeah, keep chasing it up with them, it's definitely a mistake.

Is this university of Liverpool? I was also sent a questionnaire which I couldn't possibly fill in because none of the options applied to me as they were all tailored for overseas students. I then rang someone in the fees department and explained my situation and they told me just to fill in the questionnaire with my details and send in my passport - then I get a letter classifying me as an EU student. I emailed them yesterday but so far they haven't got back to me, so I will ring them tomorrow if I still get no response.

Thank you :smile:

Reply 12
Original post by OU Student
What do Student Finance say? I'm with the others on this - you do sound like a home student.

I'm not sure as I haven't applied for student finance yet :/ but from what I can gather from websites regarding student finance, I fit the classification for a home student

Original post by Icedancer95
I have emailed them with all my information again - I am very concerned because I sent them all the information about living in Spain when I was younger and about having lived in England again now for over 4 years, my passport that shows I'm a British National and my parents details and they've still classified me as an EU student, so I really don't know what more I can say :frown:

You should be classified as a home student due to having lived here for the last 3 years, however what passport you have and your parents nationality is irrelevant. It's your residence that counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending