The Student Room Group

Almost hit a pedestrian today (at speed)

So, I was driving along at about 25mph, and the amber lights came on as I was about 2-3 metres from the line so I went though, didn't accelerate or anything, so I went though the first one into a 4-way junction, then just after there's another the crossing, and this light just turned amber.

I know the amber light is on about 3-4 seconds, and I'm certain that there is no way on Earth the pedestrian crossing light would turn green before the red lights came on, and I saw a woman on the crossing, then she looked to the left and stepped onto the road JUST as I was going past her. I'd already moved to the right and slowed down a little when I saw her at the crossing (not on the road) but I couldn't believe it

What if I hadn't, or she'd taken a further step? I might have seriously injured her at 20-25mph :frown:

Am I right in thinking the pedestrian light turns green a couple seconds after red on the main set of lights?

I feel really bad now :frown: I once almost walked in front of a bus while not paying attention (looked right, then left, then put a foot into the road, then right again and saw the bus) and I understood that it was stupid of me, and it was my fault if it would have hit me, but I just can't help but feel bad :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
So, I was driving along at about 25mph, and the amber lights came on as I was about 2-3 metres from the line so I went though, didn't accelerate or anything, so I went though the first one into a 4-way junction, then just after there's another the crossing, and this light just turned amber.

I know the amber light is on about 3-4 seconds, and I'm certain that there is no way on Earth the pedestrian crossing light would turn green before the red lights came on, and I saw a woman on the crossing, then she looked to the left and stepped onto the road JUST as I was going past her. I'd already moved to the right and slowed down a little when I saw her at the crossing (not on the road) but I couldn't believe it

What if I hadn't, or she'd taken a further step? I might have seriously injured her at 20-25mph :frown:

Am I right in thinking the pedestrian light turns green a couple seconds after red on the main set of lights?

I feel really bad now :frown: I once almost walked in front of a bus while not paying attention (looked right, then left, then put a foot into the road, then right again and saw the bus) and I understood that it was stupid of me, and it was my fault if it would have hit me, but I just can't help but feel bad :s-smilie:

unfortunately if car hits a pedestrian it will never be the pedestrians fault. just the way it is. i know you were right to go through but some pedestrians think that they rule the roads.
Original post by naman
unfortunately if car hits a pedestrian it will never be the pedestrians fault. just the way it is. i know you were right to go through but some pedestrians think that they rule the roads.

Original post by Umairy363
I second this.

Unfortunately, the pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way, and no matter how right the driver is, the driver is always the one that people will blame :frown:

This is correct assuming the OP was driving in the UK. And since the pedestrian is most vulnerable, it makes sense for the car to be responsible for not driving into the pedestrian.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by naman

I second this.

Unfortunately, the pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way, and no matter how right the driver is, the driver is always the one that people will blame :frown:
Reply 4
Irrelevant to you as a driver. The pedestrian does not have to obey the lights.
it is the duty of the driver to take care of more vulnerable traffic at a junction.
Of course, more vulnerable traffic have a duty of care towards other traffic also.
Reply 5
Thing that enrages me the most about pedestrians is when they cross the road regardless (no traffic or crossing) and expect the driver to break for them...
Reply 6
Original post by naman

Unless the pedestrian is crossing the road at a non designated crossing (especially if there is a crossing is just down the road).

I watched an episode of Judge Judy :cool:
Reply 7
Original post by Callidus
Unless the pedestrian is crossing the road at a non designated crossing (especially if there is a crossing is just down the road).

I watched an episode of Judge Judy :cool:

That might just be an american law though, aka jaywalking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

Personally I wouldn't be too worried, firstly you didn't hit them. I know many mates who foolishly are fine with walking out before a car pass's and time it so they just brush the car as it pass's. Yes technically you would be in the wrong if you hit them, however if someone walks out straight in front of you then they would have a hard time trying to say you were dangerous driving.
Reply 8
Not sure where this idea the driver is automatically at fault has come from. If you're driving with due care and attention and someone steps out in front of your car that's their problem. You have a duty of care towards other road users; you don't have a duty to protect then from their own stupidity.
Reply 9
Original post by CurlyBen
Not sure where this idea the driver is automatically at fault has come from. If you're driving with due care and attention and someone steps out in front of your car that's their problem.
Well yes and no. Blame can be apportioned - 60% car 40% pedestrian for example. But the motorist is assumed more to blame because he holds licenses to drive/keep a vehicle on the highway.
A pedestrian has a right of way on the highway without any licence. They may be a young child, partially sighted or hearing person and yes mentally impaired. Is your defence in court going to be
you don't have a duty to protect them from their own stupidity
It is the motorists responsibility to take care when pedestrians are about, just in case
someone steps out in front of your car
Reply 10
Original post by mphysical
Well yes and no. Blame can be apportioned - 60% car 40% pedestrian for example. But the motorist is assumed more to blame because he holds licenses to drive/keep a vehicle on the highway.
A pedestrian has a right of way on the highway without any licence. They may be a young child, partially sighted or hearing person and yes mentally impaired. Is your defence in court going to be It is the motorists responsibility to take care when pedestrians are about, just in case

Not quite. A driver has a higher duty of care than a pedestrian as they are capable of doing more damage (it's nothing to do with licences - a cyclist has a duty of care somewhere in between but is unlicensed). That just means they have to be more careful, not that there is an assumption of blame in the event of an accident. Of course, if both are adequately careful the accident should never happen. If it does, as you say the blame may be shared but it's not automatically the driver's fault. There was an attempt to have that assumption made (article) but it wasn't implemented.
Reply 11
I know of a taxi driver who hit a pedestrian head on because the pedestrian just stood there in the centre of the road. But the taxi driver got away with it because the pedestrian was "doing agrivating behaviour towards the driver and trying to cause a fight" or something b/s. If a pedestrian "plays chicken" then the driver SHOULD NOT be held liable because you can't help it if they just randomly run across the road.

And that article CurlyBen is shocking... Can't believe the government proposed that.
Reply 12
If the light wasn't green for the pedestrian, and they just guessed that you would slow and stop anyway, or just didn't look properly, it would still be your fault.

I never ever cross if a car is moving, just in case they decide to throw themselves forwards. Even if its on green for me, I must know all traffic is slowing down.
Reply 13
Original post by Kage
If the light wasn't green for the pedestrian, and they just guessed that you would slow and stop anyway, or just didn't look properly, it would still be your fault.

Seriously, where has this idea come from? Can you show me any piece of legislation that says a pedestrian has no responsibility for their actions?

BTW michaelj that idea wasn't proposed by the government, it was some nutcase MAMIL.
Reply 14
Original post by CurlyBen
Seriously, where has this idea come from? Can you show me any piece of legislation that says a pedestrian has no responsibility for their actions?

BTW michaelj that idea wasn't proposed by the government, it was some nutcase MAMIL.

Of course they have responsibility, but asure me that if you knocked over one, and hospitalised or even seriously hurt one, the blame would be on you, however cautious you were being
Reply 15
Original post by Kage
Of course they have responsibility, but asure me that if you knocked over one, and hospitalised or even seriously hurt one, the blame would be on you, however cautious you were being

Have you got any kind of evidence for that?
I know anecdotes aren't great for reliability, but a kid played chicken and hit my dad's car. He had to talk to the Police so they could determine exactly what had happened, and when they established it was entirely the kid's fault no further action was taken. There's a thread somewhere on PistonHeads with more anecdotes along similar lines.
Actual Case Law
Neutral Citation Number: [2011] EWCA Civ 623
Case No: B3/2010/2697

Between:
WALDEMAR BELKA
Appellant
- and -

JOSEPH LAWRENCE PROSPERINI
Respondent

Hearing date: 17th May 2011

Lord Justice Hooper :
At the conclusion of the hearing we announced our decision that the appeal was dismissed.

The appellant/claimant was injured when hit by a taxi driven by the respondent/defendant. Following a trial on the issue of liability, HHJ Walton in a carefully reasoned judgment held that the appellant was two thirds to blame and the respondent one third to blame. There is no challenge to the judge's findings of fact.

The appellant was struck by the front of the taxi and thrown up on to its bonnet breaking the windscreen. The collision took place in the early hours of the morning whilst the appellant was on an unregulated crossing on a dual carriageway, the A193 Byker bypass in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Whilst pedestrians may cross at this point, they do not, as the judge found, have precedence over vehicles.

The appellant, dressed in denim, was on his way home accompanied by Mr Lanik after they had been being in a public house where, on the evidence, they had drunk about four pints of beer.

The respondent was tested for alcohol. The reading "was below zero".

The A193 Byker bypass is one of five roads leading into and out of a roundabout. The respondent entered the roundabout from a road (Millers Road) almost opposite the entrance to the bypass. For the respondent the bypass was his third exit. The accident occurred on what was for the respondent the nearside lane of the bypass. Just before the impact the respondent's speed was about 25 to 30 mph and therefore within the speed limit.

The appellant and Mr Lanik had crossed the two lanes of the bypass which led into the roundabout and reached the "refuge" half way across it.

The judge found that the respondent should have seen the two men on the refuge at least when the respondent was about 30 metres away from the refuge. At that point the respondent would have been crossing the entrance of what was for him the second exit.

The judge found that it was likely that Mr Lanik deliberately waited for the taxi to pass, whereas the appellant decided to run across the road. In the words of the judge the appellant "took a risk setting off when, unless the driver took some avoiding action, an accident was likely". Implicit in this finding is a finding that the appellant deliberately took the risk of trying to cross the road in front of the taxi.

The respondent gave evidence that he saw from about 25 to 50 metres away only one person on the refuge, who must have been Mr Lanik. He first saw the appellant at the last moment in a position on the offside front of his car. He braked and swerved to the right but was unable to avoid a collision.

The judge found that the respondent should at about the 30 metre mark have seen both men on the refuge. Even on the respondent's account of seeing only Mr Lanik, the respondent should have taken his foot off the accelerator as a precaution against any untoward movement by the pedestrian. The judge concluded that "with a better look out, and a slight easing of speed I am satisfied that the accident would have been avoided" because the appellant would then have crossed the road in front of the taxi.

It is submitted by Mr Taylor QC on behalf of the appellant that the judge should have found the respondent's degree of blameworthiness was "very high" and certainly more than that of the appellant. I cannot agree. The fault of the respondent was not to ease off on the accelerator in anticipation of the risk that the pedestrian, whom he had seen or ought to have seen, might decide to cross the road in an untoward way. The fault of the appellant was to take a deliberate risk of an accident in running across the road in front of the taxi which had the right of way. In my view the appellant was far more to blame than the respondent.

It is further submitted by Mr Taylor that the judge failed properly to approach the issue of causative potency. As to that the judge said:

24. In terms of causative potency the apportionment is equal in the sense that both the action of the pedestrian and the driver's failures as already identified contributed equally to the collision.

Mr Taylor criticises this conclusion.

Section 1 of the Law Reform (Contributory Negligence) Act 1945 provides:

Where any person suffers damage as the result partly of his own fault and partly of the fault of any other person or persons, a claim in respect of that damage shall not be defeated by reason of the fault of the person suffering the damage, but the damages recoverable in respect thereof shall be reduced to such extent as the court thinks just and equitable having regard to the claimant's share in the responsibility for the damage ... (emphasis added).

A convenient description of what is known as causative potency is to be found in a passage in the speech of Lord Reid in Stapley v Gypsum Mines [1953] AC 663, at page 681 to which we were referred by Mr Lynagh QC.

A court must deal broadly with the problem of apportionment and in considering what is just and equitable must have regard to the blameworthiness of each party, but the claimant's share in the responsibility for the damage cannot, I think, be assessed without considering the relative importance of his acts in causing the damage apart from his blameworthiness.

In that case Stapley was working in an underground "stope" when the roof collapsed and killed him. He and a fellow employee, Dale, had tried to make the roof safe but, having failed to do so, both continued to carry on their normal work of breaking up gypsum rock. Dale was working a very short distance away in an area where the roof was not dangerous and did not collapse. Stapley succeeded against his employer because of Dale's failure to take steps to prevent the accident. Lord Reid continued:

"It may be said that in this case Dale was not much less to blame than Stapley, but Stapley's conduct in entering the stope contributed more immediately to the accident than anything that Dale did or failed to do. I agree with your Lordships that in all the circumstances it is proper in this case to reduce the damages by 80 per cent, and to award 20 per cent of the damages to the appellant.

Mr Taylor submits that the judge failed to take into account in deciding causative potency for the damage the fact that the respondent was driving what has been described as "potentially a dangerous weapon" (Latham LJ in Lunt v Khelifa [2002] EWCA Civ 801, para. 20). Mr Taylor referred us to Eagle v Chambers [2003] EWCA Civ 1107. Hale LJ, as she then was (and with whom the other members of the court agreed), said (in para. 15) that the "potential 'destructive disparity' between [a pedestrian and a car driver] can readily be taken into account as an aspect of blameworthiness." Indeed Hale LJ said (in para. 16) that: "It is rare indeed for a pedestrian to be found more responsible than a driver unless the pedestrian has suddenly moved into the path of an oncoming vehicle".

In my view this is a case where, on the judge's findings, the pedestrian "has suddenly moved into the path of an oncoming vehicle". Or, to use the words of Lord Reid, this is a case where the appellant's conduct in deliberately taking the risk of trying to cross the road in front of the taxi contributed more immediately to the accident than anything that the respondent did or failed to do.

Furthermore, it is said, that the judge should have taken into account, in resolving the issue of causative potency, that even if the appellant had been crossing the road non-negligently, the accident would still have happened. Mr Taylor points to Eagle v Chambers. In that case Hale LJ considering the issue of causative potency said (in para. 17) "that the defendant would have failed to see and have failed to avoid any pedestrian, including one whose conduct could not be criticised." In that case, so it was held, the defendant driver had had ample opportunity to see the claimant pedestrian dressed in light coloured clothing walking along the road in an area where people could, without criticism, be walking along the offside edge of the road looking for their parked cars. That, in my view, is not this case. It is very difficult to imagine how the respondent would have collided with the appellant if the appellant had been crossing the road non-negligently rather than running across the road in the path of the oncoming taxi.

As we have seen, the judge apportioned the causative potency equally "in the sense that both the action of the pedestrian and the driver's failures as already identified contributed equally to the collision." The use of the word "collision" in paragraph 24 could be criticised but, apart from that, it cannot, in my view, be said that the judge was "plainly wrong" in his apportionment.

For these reasons I would dismiss the appeal.
Reply 17

This is why we have speed limits in town. Don't worry about it, no one was hurt, sometimes people do stupid things.

When you're driving sometimes all you need is a bit of luck. Unfortunately the old guy who said that to me 10 years ago is dead now, god rest his soul.
Reply 18
Original post by mphysical
Actual Case Law

You've clearly missed the point. The judge ruled against the driver because he considered that if he had been driving with due care and attention the accident could have been avoided because he should have seen the man running across the road. We're talking about cases in which the driver is using all due care and attention but through the stupidity of a pedestrian, an accident occurs anyway.

eg: you're driving along attentively and at the speed limit and someone literally jumps out in front of your car from behind a bush and bounces off your windshield. There is literally nothing you could have done to avert the collision. n this case: 100% of the blame is on the pedestrian.
Reply 19

It's pretty common for pedestrians to start crossing just as a car goes past. She was probably looking to left to check that there were no cars behind you. Considering she didn't actually get hit she probably knew what she was doing and you're worrying over nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending