The Student Room Group

Upper Second Or First?

Just wanted to know, although the minimum requirement to work at an investment bank is a upper second (2:1), do most people at investment banks (particularly IBD) have a first class?

Do I stand a chance, in this competitive recruiting environment, with a 2:1 for IBD jobs at BBs/elite MMs?

Is it even worse to get a 2:1 in finance because its means your not 'very good' at Finance? Is it better to swap to maths or something and get a upper second or a first?

I reckon I'm going to get a 2:1 (given my grades) and I'm a finance major so am pretty worried. If I'm getting a 2:1 in a finance major, then am I too dumb to be in IBD/pursue finance as a career? (serious question)

This has made me scared: http://www.resumerebrand.com/grademyresume.asp
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dude, I'm gonna ask you a serious question: you been on this forum for 4 years and you go to LSE - how are you still so clueless about everything?

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/3342704/img/rozne/faceplam.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zweihander
Dude, I'm gonna ask you a serious question: you been on this forum for 4 years and you go to LSE - how are you still so clueless about everything?

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/3342704/img/rozne/faceplam.jpg

long story....
do you know the answer to the above please (it is a serious post)?
Reply 3
Original post by charles-perry
long story....
do you know the answer to the above please (it is a serious post)?

In no way does your post merit a serious answer. It belongs on 4chan or Reddit or some sh*t like that, but I'll bite.

The difference between the 2:1 and a 1st for the sake of banking job apps is negligible. Assuming you get at least a 2:1 the only reason your degree class might matter, would be if assuming ceteris paribus they were deciding between two candidates on whom to give an offer. But nobody's exactly the same on paper, and neither will how they perform in interview be, so a situation like that is unlikely.

No one is going think you are an idiot for getting a 2:1 in Finance, and then applying for finance jobs. What you study is more or less irrelevant as long as you get a 2:1.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zweihander
In no way does your post merit a serious answer. It belongs on 4chan or Reddit or some sh*t like that, but I'll bite.

The difference between the 2:1 and a 1st for the sake of banking job apps is negligble. Assuming you get at lest a 2:1 the only reason your degree class might matter, would be if assuming ceteris paribus they were deciding between two candidates on whom to give an offer. But nobody's exactly the same on paper, and neither will how they perform in interview be, so a situation like that is unlikely.

No one is going think you are an idiot for getting a 2:1 in Finance, and then applying for finance jobs. What you study is irrelevant as long as you get a 2:1.

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I just keep seeing on LinkedIn etc that people who get firsts (from all disciplines) tend to get into these roles, and the finance people who get in usually are the 'top of their class' or something. If you are studying finance for 3 years and get a 2:1 from a target uni vs someone who studied say Law at a target and got a 1st - employers may see that the law grad has more potential. This is why I was a bit worried.

I was also thinking that a lot of the good schools want a first class for a Master's course/MBA so getting a 2:1 now may get me into IBD but I may be unable to move to PE or something because I will look less clever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Why the negs hahaha!!!
Reply 6
Just wanted to know, although the minimum requirement to work at an investment bank is a upper second (2:1), do most people at investment banks (particularly IBD) have a first class?

Do I stand a chance, in this competitive recruiting environment, with a 2:1 for IBD jobs at BBs/elite MMs?

Is it even worse to get a 2:1 in finance because its means your not 'very good' at Finance? Is it better to swap to maths or something and get a upper second or a first?

I reckon I'm going to get a 2:1 (given my grades) and I'm a finance major so am pretty worried. If I'm getting a 2:1 in a finance major, then am I too dumb to be in IBD/pursue finance as a career? (serious question)

My condolences, looks like it'll be HSBC and AT Kearney for you mate
Reply 7

2:1 fine, First better.

Personally, if I was interviewing somebody not on a 1st I'd ask them directly why this was but most couldnt really care...
Reply 8
Original post by Zürich
2:1 fine, First better.

Personally, if I was interviewing somebody not on a 1st I'd ask them directly why this was but most couldnt really care...

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I asked this was because one interviewer asked me for all my modules/grades so far, compared it to his grades while at the same uni I was at (and made me feel s**t about my grades lol) and basically questioned whether I could manage the IBD workload with a 2:1. I'm sure it was a test but asking for all the modules/grades seemed a bit far fetched...
Reply 9
Thanks for the reply.

The reason I asked this was because one interviewer asked me for all my modules/grades so far, compared it to his grades while at the same uni I was at (and made me feel s**t about my grades lol) and basically questioned whether I could manage the IBD workload with a 2:1. I'm sure it was a test but asking for all the modules/grades seemed a bit far fetched...

Its a legit question tbh. 'feeling like ****' is neither here nor there.
Original post by Zürich
Its a legit question tbh. 'feeling like ****' is neither here nor there.

Yea I didn't mind - except for his tone haha.
Hopefully I convinced him enough to push me to the next round.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Yea I didn't mind - except for his tone haha.
Hopefully I convinced him enough to push me to the next round.

Which bank was this?
Original post by dd4tt
Which bank was this?

A top BB
Reply 13

Ha. If true, that's quite pathetic on his part. No doubt relaying his own insecurities. Unless you were actually giving him a reaction in which case his trolling was justified. But you do get a lot of these bankers pretending what they do is very difficult! Obviously the issue is not whether you're capable of doing the job, it's whether there are another 100 people that can offer (at least) what you can.
Reply 14
Wait, you had an interview here a banker questioned your "ability to handle the banking workload" because of your 2:1?

lolz, there are people who are braindead vegetables hooked up to tubes in a ICU that are smarter than at least 10% of the graduate classes at some of these top banks
Original post by V.K
Ha. If true, that's quite pathetic on his part. No doubt relaying his own insecurities. Unless you were actually giving him a reaction in which case his trolling was justified. But you do get a lot of these bankers pretending what they do is very difficult! Obviously the issue is not whether you're capable of doing the job, it's whether there are another 100 people that can offer (at least) what you can.

He got a first from the same uni I went to and called it 'easy'. I stood my ground and explained the situation... not sure if he bought it though. I was pretty solid in my response and haven't been dinged yet so I guess I'll see what happens.
I agree with 'what bankers do isn't very difficult' which is why I was a bit surprised regarding the grades grilling. But there we go...
Original post by MAINE.
Wait, you had an interview here a banker questioned your "ability to handle the banking workload" because of your 2:1?

lolz, there are people who are braindead vegetables hooked up to tubes in a ICU that are smarter than at least 10% of the graduate classes at some of these top banks

Yup - on a telephone interview as well. lol
Reply 17
A 2:1 is the same thing as a Upper Second. It's just a different way of righting it.

You will have a good chance at a job in Finance/Investment Banking if you get a 2:1. Not that many people get First's. As long as you get a 2:1, you'll be able to apply for all the jobs. The idea that anyone getting a 2:1 from a university like LSE is "not very good" or "dumb" is laughable.

2:1 from a Top 20 University. World is your Oyster. Law, Investment banking, Masters at Oxford, you can apply for the lot. Best of luck. I'm surprised at your lack of knowledge on this given your university.
Original post by Eboracum
A 2:1 is the same thing as a Upper Second. It's just a different way of righting it.

You will have a good chance at a job in Finance/Investment Banking if you get a 2:1. Not that many people get First's. As long as you get a 2:1, you'll be able to apply for all the jobs. The idea that anyone getting a 2:1 from a university like LSE is "not very good" or "dumb" is laughable.

2:1 from a Top 20 University. World is your Oyster. Law, Investment banking, Masters at Oxford, you can apply for the lot. Best of luck. I'm surprised at your lack of knowledge on this given your university.

I always thought a 2:1 was a good grade but for most masters courses at Oxford (for example) you need a first (e.g. maths/finance etc) and I keep hearing that people with firsts get into law/banking etc vs people with 2:1's (esp now given the level of competition). Thats why I was a little worried.
Reply 19
I always thought a 2:1 was a good grade but for most masters courses at Oxford (for example) you need a first (e.g. maths/finance etc) and I keep hearing that people with firsts get into law/banking etc vs people with 2:1's (esp now given the level of competition). Thats why I was a little worried.

Most people that go to university will get a 2:1 or a 2:2. That's why those that do get Firsts, stand out, as particularly the better universities, it is very difficult to get a First. So you will have an advantage if you get a First. But a 2:1 from a Top 20 university (such as your LSE) is a very good degree, and you'll have a decent shout at a Masters/Job at a top company. I think for a Masters at Oxford you need a 2:1, but probably for funding you would need a First, or a very good 2:1 with lots of other stuff. But for any of the top universities, a 2:1 would give you a chance at a Masters.

I'm at York, we've had Magic Circle Law firms, Accountancy Firms and Investment Banks here recruiting, and the requirement for them all is 2:1.

So if you don't get a First and do get a 2:1, still apply, put in a really good application, you'll have a great chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending