The Student Room Group

Studying abroad in Canada from UK

I am a student thinking about study abroad in Canada and possibly in the university of Toronto, i am in 6 th form and doing my a levels at the moment and I was wondering about what details I need to know before I think about it properly,

is studying in Canada expensive?? Isit it difficult?
Reply 1
Original post by Msiva1996
I am a student thinking about study abroad in Canada and possibly in the university of Toronto, i am in 6 th form and doing my a levels at the moment and I was wondering about what details I need to know before I think about it properly,

is studying in Canada expensive?? Isit it difficult?

Hi,

I'm a graduate student at McGill University but did my undergrad in England - I can't be of great help for that reason, but the first thing to check out are the awards/fees/aid pages of the universities' respective websites. Toronto's is here: http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/adm-awards/index.action

International tuition fee in Canada as a whole is much lower than south of the border, but fees vary from province to province. Quebec, the French-speaking province in which I'm located, has the cheapest tuition fee rates, with Ontario (where UofT is) charging (much) higher rates.

The main barrier is the UK government won't fund your study abroad; Student Finance is for UK citizens studying at universities in the UK, so if you're really serious about the move you'll have to do a lot of research into the affordability - unless of course you're a Canadian citizen!

McGill and Toronto offer fee deferrals as well for those struggling to pay tuition fees. McGill also offers a system of merit-based scholarships to undergrad students. Here is a page listing it's requirements, in case I can tempt you over the Quebec-Ontario border!

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/admissionsguide/overseas

There's great merit in wanting to pursue undergraduate studies in Canada; it's a great and very dynamic country. But financially it may be quite draining. You can always look into graduate study when you finish undergrad in the UK; funding systems are more developed at the graduate level!
Good luck.
Reply 2
Dear All,

I have done my 2 year HND Marine Engineering from City Of Glasgow College,Scotland UK. My first priority is to get a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree and then settlement or work permit. But i don't know how Canada accept my UK HND Qualification. Plz help me friends and guide me asap, how can i get top up year in Mechanical Engineering in Canada.

First thing is save time and money.

1- I want to complete my BEng Mechanical Engineering within 1 to 2 years. I am not interested to take admission in 1st year in UNI because in this case i have no benefit of my HND.

2- I think Canada is the best option if they give me credit transfer in any year because there is mostly UNI fees are $10K to $13K as compare to UK and AUS. And also there is benefit to get work permit or settlement.

Why i don't to want go back UK again because there is no benefit of settlement or work permit.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Rana Khan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending