The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
charlie_w
That is absolute rubbish. First of all, no-one 'almost certainly' gets offers from these universities. Four As at AS guarantees absolutely nothing. With Media Studies and Psychology, the LSE will reject you straight away. The other unis might also follow suite. Don't listen to posts like that.

psychology is not on the lse blacklist, so why will they reject?
Is it not? I take that back then. But Media Studies definately is. Plus I think the LSE would definately prefer the traditional subjects. However that is just my opinion. I didn't even apply there so I don't know that much about it.
with the B in GCSE maths thing, take a chance with unis if you really want to go there...with good As grades and A2 predictions they will overlook it.

i only got a C at gcse maths...but am now at Durham (where they demand a B) also Manchester made me an offer (though they did send me a letter, asking if i was sure id be able to cope) despite asking for B grade maths.
Reply 23
yup, media studies is on the blacklist
Reply 24
I only had C GCSE maths and restricted my uni applications to universities where they didnt bother asking for GCSE maths requirements.

Certain courses at Manchester, Northumbria, Aston and some other places I cant remember.

Aston was the best, by a long long way in respect to all courses.

(GCSE: A english lit, B eng lang, C maths 5 other A-B graded, 3 A2 ict(A), business(A), Geography(B))

Hardly exceptional and hardly traditional. Then again, I didn't bother applying to anywhere where this may have been an issue. Aslong as you spread your offers over a range of end scenarios, i.e. dont pin all your hope on one option occuring, then you should be ok, whatever course you decide is best.
Rooftopcowboy
with the B in GCSE maths thing, take a chance with unis if you really want to go there...with good As grades and A2 predictions they will overlook it.

i only got a C at gcse maths...but am now at Durham (where they demand a B) also Manchester made me an offer (though they did send me a letter, asking if i was sure id be able to cope) despite asking for B grade maths.

What course you doing at Durham?
charlie_w
What course you doing at Durham?

Business, though as the other 2 courses at this campus (Durham has a campus in Stockton) Accounting and Business Finance...all have the same first year...

I can answer questions on all 3, if needed.

IIRC the entry requirement is BBC and B at GCSE maths, though they do 'adapt' your offer to your potential...ie I got predicted ABB, so Durham made me get ABB...they say its to stop potential students getting lazy in their final A level year.

Latest

Trending

Trending