The Student Room Group

Essay Help Required - Sovereignty

Hi guys, I've been having a spot of bother with an essay for my Jurisprudence class. The question:

Why is the concept of sovereignty so central to the relation between law and politics?

It's to be 1500-2500 words long, and I'm not entirely sure what sort of things I am meant to be discussing. Also, the reading list for this area of the course is rather lackluster and mainly textbooks. Does anyone know of texts that would particularly useful in answering this question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Rebelde
Hi guys, I've been having a spot of bother with an essay for my Jurisprudence class. The question:

Why is the concept of sovereignty so central to the relation between law and politics?

It's to be 1500-2500 words long, and I'm not entirely sure what sort of things I am meant to be discussing. Also, the reading list for this area of the course is rather lackluster and mainly textbooks. Does anyone know of texts that would particularly useful in answering this question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

I'm no expert when it comes to essays but with hoping to study crim psych 2013 I am currently doing a HE DIP in Public Sector Proffs, essays have taken over my life :l

I find the best way to start an essay of any kind is to get the dictionary out. No, I'm not kidding. We attach various meanings to words according to life expereinces/family influences etc, that are not always correct, so do not always have a thorough understanding of the essay question. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION FULLY!!

For instance, the keywords I would pick out from your question: 'concept' 'sovereignity' 'relation' 'law' 'politics'

Concept- idea, invention
Sovereignity- independent state, supreme and unrestricted power
Relation- the manner (state) in which things are related
Law- a rule, or set of rules enforcable by the courts
Politics- the art and science of directing and administrating states and other political units; government

As somebody with no previous experience in 'Jurisprudence', I would attack the question with:

*research and evidence

Also, I wonder if an example of this may be the ongoing dispute between the European Court of Human Rights and UK Parliament re: prisoners right to vote, mandatory life sentence and the impact this has on society and votes (elections)??? How do sovereign states create and apply law. What historical links/evidence can you find to support this?

Another tip I read somewhere: If you are asked a question, rather than asked to explore a statement, attempt to 'forecast' potential issues/difficulties. This can aid in the investigative and conclusion side of the essay. For example, if politics and the law were in dispute what could happen as a result? This would go a long way in determining exactly why things are the way they are...

The idea of this is to break it down, I find it easier to work through it this way. I find it useful stringing together as many fact based (and referenced) sentences as poss, cutting them into seperate paragraphs and rearranging them once I feel I have enough information.

I could be well off the mark here so not sure if this will be of any help but Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest