The Student Room Group

Mr M's GCSE Maths Linear Higher Tier 1MA0 Paper 1 Answers November 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by GrammarSchoolKid
From this mark scheme I think I got 80 ish... Do you think that scraped an A* or should I try extra hard in the calculator to ensure I get that A*?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well shouldnt you try hard anyway if 80 is good or bad? I know i got over 90 and im definitely going to try hard anyway!
Reply 61
Mr m Can you tell me the specific question for 5? Thanks, much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chris097
Well shouldnt you try hard anyway if 80 is good or bad? I know i got over 90 and im definitely going to try hard anyway!

Oooohhh well done! Yep, of course I will!

Reply 63
5. Estimate

600 (3 marks)

^for this question i got 620 because i left it as 31 instead of 30, is that ok.

9. Prism

380 (3 marks)

^for this answer wat was the question.

14. Bearings

230 degrees (2 marks)

^for this question i got 222 degrees is that close enough

17. Linear inequalities

Mark points (4, 3) (4, 4) (4, 5) (5, 4) with crosses (3 marks)

^for this answer wat was the question

c) 20 (or an answer close to this) (2 marks)

^for this question i got 21.5 is that close enough

Thanks for the answers :biggrin:
Original post by zed963
Can anyone explain how the sides are 12

-To answer this question we need to find out the interior angle of the larger polygon.

-To do this we must subtract 60 from 360 degrees as angles in a circle=360 degrees (we cans see from the equilateral triangle that the triangle angle must be 60 degrees)

Therefore each angle is 300/2
=150

The equation for number of sides compared to the interior angle is

Interior Angle=(n-2)180/n

(n=number of sides)

The interior angle of the large polygon is 150 degrees
Using n as 12:

150=(12-2)180/12

150=10x180/12

150=1800/12

150=150

-Therefore we have proved that the answer is 12

I hope this proved helful, It took me some time too yesterday.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for this Mr M.
Any predictions from anyone what will be on the calculator paper?
Thanks.
Original post by zed963
Would you be able to post a diagram for this question?

Ask me this evening and I will.
Original post by Chris097
Hi Mr M,
Thank you so much for the answers! It really boosted my confidence in what i think i should get. I just had a question that i hope you can answer:
-For question 26a, I put the answer as 2.5squareroot3, is that still correct?

If you mean 2.5 squareroot 2 then yes.
Original post by Kaiden
Mr m Can you tell me the specific question for 5? Thanks, much appreciated.

Work out an estimate for 31×9.870.509\frac{31 \times 9.87}{0.509}
Can you please write the specific question for q7. please?
Original post by aadil.shahab
So are we definetly wrong then ? Alot of people got 310!!

bearing is 50 the first point north
the next point, draw another line north, the angles inside these three lines adds up to 180, so 180-50=130
the bearing back to the first point is 360-130=230 (not 360-50=310)
hope that clears up that question
What are the predictions for calculator paper tommorow what topics are most likely to come up?
Original post by aadil.shahab
Can you please write the specific question for q7. please?

There is a trapezium with parallel sides 12m and 18m and the distance between them is 9m.

Grass seed costs £4.99 per bag and 1 bag covers 20 square metres.

What is least cost of seeding the whole trapezium shaped garden?
MathsWatch revision list for the calculator paper can be found here.

Click Higher link at the top of the page.
hey guys im doing the calculator paper for edexcel gcse maths 1mao/h tomorrow any suggestions on what will come up?
im doing the calculator paper tomorrow and im really stressing out :frown:
Reply 76
In question 25- similar shapes I got both answers wrong however I showed working of k squared and k cubed for the surface area and volume, do you think I will pick up any marks for this? Also on the cumulative frequency part c I put 24, even though I got the answer wrong do you think I will get a mark for drawing a line onto my graph to show how I was trying to work it out?
Hi guys, im upset about the first paper. I didnt expect it to be like this and I found it difficult everything my maths teachers told me to revise, wasn't really there... I got like between 30-40 or maybe 40-45 if im lucky for my working out..
I really want an A, i was going to go for A* but i cant now...is it possible for me to still get an A...if i get 60 or 70 marks on the calculator paper?

the things that didnt come up on the first paper, i revised for the second paper should come up i hope...so..yeah..i hope i can still achieve an A
Reply 78
Original post by GrammarSchoolKid
Oooohhh well done! Yep, of course I will!

Well then stop asking stupid questions in the first place! Being sarcastic to me!
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Hi guys, im upset about the first paper. I didnt expect it to be like this and I found it difficult everything my maths teachers told me to revise, wasn't really there... I got like between 30-40 or maybe 40-45 if im lucky for my working out..
I really want an A, i was going to go for A* but i cant now...is it possible for me to still get an A...if i get 60 or 70 marks on the calculator paper?

the things that didnt come up on the first paper, i revised for the second paper should come up i hope...so..yeah..i hope i can still achieve an A

It depends on the grade boundaries which we won't know until the papers have been marked. Going on last year's grade boundaries, you needed:

Say if you got 40 marks in the non-calculator paper and the grade boundaries are the same/similar to last year, you would need 88 marks in the calculator for an A and 50 marks in the calculator paper for a B.

This is just on last year's grade boundaries but obviously they could change for this year as many people have said the paper was very hard.

Also, you may have picked up some unexpected method marks so don't lose hope yet! Just try as hard as you can for tomorrow's paper & good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending