The Student Room Group

Colorado First State To Legalize Marijuana

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Washington legalised it a few days ago as well. I don't know why there hasn't been a bigger reaction from people about this fantastic news - not only has it been decriminized it's been fully legalised and not only is it for medical use but also for recreational use.

It will be good for the world to learn from Colorado and Washington to see what a properly regulated cannabis system looks like and the great economical effects it will have.

This is the start of the end of the drug war (I believe 2 other states are also closing in on passing the Bill) and the first time states have ever gone so rebelliously against federal law. Mass change in America (alongside recent change in Mexico to decriminilise it) will have a ripple effect throughout the next 10 years.

Very, very significant and good news to anyone who's known for years it's a travesty that cannabis, one of the safest drugs known to man, can result in a prison sentence and thus a criminal record by consuming it. Hopefully within the next 10 years we see the same sanity in Britain and the EU that is currently in Washington and Colorado.
Reply 41
Original post by glousck
Washington legalised it a few days ago as well. I don't know why there hasn't been a bigger reaction from people about this fantastic news - not only has it been decriminized it's been fully legalised and not only is it for medical use but also for recreational use.

It will be good for the world to learn from Colorado and Washington to see what a properly regulated cannabis system looks like and the great economical effects it will have.

This is the start of the end of the drug war (I believe 2 other states are also closing in on passing the Bill) and the first time states have ever gone so rebelliously against federal law. Mass change in America (alongside recent change in Mexico to decriminilise it) will have a ripple effect throughout the next 10 years.

Very, very significant and good news to anyone who's known for years it's a travesty that cannabis, one of the safest drugs known to man, can result in a prison sentence and thus a criminal record by consuming it. Hopefully within the next 10 years we see the same sanity in Britain and the EU that is currently in Washington and Colorado.

Yeah they are probably in shock, especially daily mail
Reply 42
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Its not legal for youngsters, the gateway theory is a load of crap, the cartels who supply drugs already sell coke aswell as weed, isnt it a good thing if they cant make money off something.

What are the long term socio-economic effects caused by this?

It's simple business.

When the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 come on the market, Apple brought out the iPad Mini to avoid losing the market share. If the government legalise marijuana then the simple fact is that criminal organisations will lose their market share. Will they be happy with profits down? Maybe they'll take the hit but most of them I suspect will not be happy so it will either cause more competition between gangs trying to own a larger part of the city to expand their customer base thus gang issues will go through the roof. The other option is to start creating newer party cocktail drugs with things mixed in to sell and try and plug the gap made. No drug dealer is just going to sit back and be happy with this. They will think of new and improved methods of doing things just as cybercriminals do every time the feds or politicians try to stop them. The criminals are a move ahead.
Original post by UKIPLAD
It's simple business.

When the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 come on the market, Apple brought out the iPad Mini to avoid losing the market share. If the government legalise marijuana then the simple fact is that criminal organisations will lose their market share. Will they be happy with profits down? Maybe they'll take the hit but most of them I suspect will not be happy so it will either cause more competition between gangs trying to own a larger part of the city to expand their customer base thus gang issues will go through the roof. The other option is to start creating newer party cocktail drugs with things mixed in to sell and try and plug the gap made. No drug dealer is just going to sit back and be happy with this. They will think of new and improved methods of doing things just as cybercriminals do every time the feds or politicians try to stop them. The criminals are a move ahead.

I dont think the gang issue can get any worse really, in mexico. When they lose a source of revenue (drugs) it could have a severe impact on their ability to operate. Look what happened to alot of the prohibition era gangs, im sure they didnt like the fact that they couldnt make money off alcohol.

One of the only arguments i've heard against legalisation is that the drug organisations may move on to other things. But is that really a good enough reason to NOT deprive them of their main source of revenue which has made them so powerful in the first place? They may move on, they may not. I mean Pablo Escobar's cartel crumbled into obscurity after he died (even though it was arguably the single most powerful drug trafficking organisation the world has ever seen) it just ceased to exist, im sure several high ranking members would have loved to have carried on the organisation.

There are other reasons for legalisation unrelated to the drug cartels: the war on drugs has become a catastrophic failure that has accomplished virtually nothing, all it has done has created a black market for these criminal elements to thrive, wasted billions of dollars in taxpayers money, cost the lives of thousands of people and created a new class of criminal who aren't really criminals in the first place.

All though i don't agree with that argument i completely understand where you guys are coming from, but ultimately i think legalisation may be the only viable option mexico has to combat the drug cartels. I mean they have tried something most people thought would have worked: an all out military offensive (myself included). But ultimately it has back fired horribly and turned the northern Mexican states into warzones.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending