The Student Room Group

AS AQA Weimar establishment

Hey there folks, I wondered if you could give me some guidance - I am writing the course essay "Examine to the extent to which weak political leadership explains growing political extremism in Germany in the years 1919 to 1923", and am not sure what content I should include. What in particular was the weak political leadership, and what other extremism grew out of this apart from the Nazis?
Please help me someone, because I am very confused!
Love
Eilidh x
Reply 1
eilidh.macdonald
Hey there folks, I wondered if you could give me some guidance - I am writing the course essay "Examine to the extent to which weak political leadership explains growing political extremism in Germany in the years 1919 to 1923", and am not sure what content I should include. What in particular was the weak political leadership, and what other extremism grew out of this apart from the Nazis?
Please help me someone, because I am very confused!
Love
Eilidh x

Weimar was founded in Weimar because the politicians fled Berlin. Rather indicative, no?
Ebert is criticised as having overestimated the threat from the left at the expense of allowing the right to infiltrate state institutions.
Spartacists Uprising, Kapp Putsch, political assassinations (Rathenau was assassinated; the assassin was either acquitted or let off lightly; poor leadership?) Flip side is only strong leaders will be assassinated anyway; no need to kill the weak ones.
Weimar financed itself by printing more money (did not want to increase taxes as they would have lost support), ultimately leading to the hyperinflation. It can be argued this is not exactly brilliant leadership; the flip side is raising taxes may have provided the extremes with even more fertile ground - as it was Weimar survived.
The historical legacy also played a part; Germans were used to strong rulers.

Weak political leadership is only a problem in contrast to stronger political leadership. Therefore it is advisable to talk about the leaders of the far left and right.

Also mention the other factors; they were leading a crippled country etc.

1919-1923, Nazis did not really grow a great deal.

Latest

Trending

Trending