The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Heather11
From my experience those who get firsts are generally no harder workers than those who get 2,1s or 2,2s as there is little real difference between them beyond marginal grading brackets.
The established rule is in fact that 1sts are obtained by those who 'do well in exams' (often a little weird), and they are often the type that are least competent generally, just the type that can pass exams. It certainly shows little else.
I read a good article once that 2.2s reflect a more rounded student who actually balanced themselves and their life better at University.

Now though in this age of Universities popping up all over the place and cashing in on the limitless horde of often vacant-minded students, it's more relevant WHEN you studied, as everyone knows what a conveyor belt process getting GCSEs, ALevels, and Degrees became after the mid-1990s.

The best employers look beyond the always subjective exam grade, so as long as a student gets their degree and builds their experience from ground level, they should be looked at as favourably as anyone who happens to have got a first.
I've known many students choose the easiest degree modules in order to get a higher grade, so it can really be meaningless.
Trust me

Id agree with you, i returned to education at 43 and studied part time, 1st with the OU. then a local Uni. for my degree while running a business and family stuff, I got a 2:2 which i set out to get bearing in mind my other commitments.
I have a lot of life experiences and have traveled the World, I come from a trade background and my Lecturers and employers said i would be very much considered by future employers as they see me as well rounded.
I'm still running my business and i teach in an independent school as a TA part time, gaining experience and getting paid, it was my maturity and worldliness and the fact that i had my degree that got me into the school, I know people with 2:1 who have done a PGCE and still cant get in schools and 1st students who cant find employment.
My next decision is do i go and train fully as a teacher on a graduate teacher training programme or stay as i am and enjoy two careers I'm presently doing a TA courses to strengthen my employ ability and possible Teacher career, the best advice id give is get the best degree you can but don't get hung up on a 1st, 2:1 or 2:2, develop your personality, your people skills and get loads of experience, think human nature too would you like to work with a very clever person who has no social skills and could communicate with a fish or a student with a 3rd who can sell snow to the Eskimos.
That's life in a nutshell.
Reply 61
From my experience those who get firsts are generally no harder workers than those who get 2,1s or 2,2s as there is little real difference between them beyond marginal grading brackets.
The established rule is in fact that 1sts are obtained by those who 'do well in exams' (often a little weird), and they are often the type that are least competent generally, just the type that can pass exams. It certainly shows little else.
I read a good article once that 2.2s reflect a more rounded student who actually balanced themselves and their life better at University.

Now though in this age of Universities popping up all over the place and cashing in on the limitless horde of often vacant-minded students, it's more relevant WHEN you studied, as everyone knows what a conveyor belt process getting GCSEs, ALevels, and Degrees became after the mid-1990s.

The best employers look beyond the always subjective exam grade, so as long as a student gets their degree and builds their experience from ground level, they should be looked at as favourably as anyone who happens to have got a first.
I've known many students choose the easiest degree modules in order to get a higher grade, so it can really be meaningless.
Trust me

Well, no offence, but, dumbest post ever.

"From my experience those who get firsts are generally no harder workers than those who get 2,1s or 2,2s as there is little real difference between them beyond marginal grading brackets."

Marginal? You need a 70% average for a 1st, and only a 50% average for a 2:2 - that's a big "margin". Maybe getting a first is easy if you do a bullcrap media degree at Bolton University. Getting a first in Economics/Physics etc isn't just a measure of effort, you need to be very intelligent to achieve that level, and present some pretty original thinking to your lecturers. To do an MPhil Finance at Cambridge for instance, you must have a first class degree, non-negotiable.

Getting a 2:2 is bleeding easy. 50%? What a waste of money £30,000-50,000! Minimal revision and effort will get it. A first takes dedicated effort and earns real respect from your peers. Peer respect is invaluable in getting jobs down the line.

"The established rule is in fact that 1sts are obtained by those who 'do well in exams' (often a little weird), and they are often the type that are least competent generally, just the type that can pass exams. It certainly shows little else."

Established by who? You? "In fact?" "The least competent?" Ha! Stop making stuff up! So bitter sounding. Again, classes are awarded by MARK boundaries - it doesn't matter how you get those marks. There are several modules at good uni's that are all coursework based. If you fail those, you don't get the first/second etc if it pulls your AVERAGE down.

"The best employers look beyond the always subjective exam grade"

Who are these so called best employers? If you apply to a scheme with, say, Shell or BP with a 1st in a science/eng subject, they WILL notice, and your starting salary will be close to £40,000. My cousin got a 1st in Economics from LSE and at age 22 got a starting salary of £48,000(!) from Bank of America. One other person in her year got a first. And an exam grade is not "always subjective" in a subject like Maths where the answers are not so open ended. A 1st in science from Oxbridge, and many places, is not "subjective". You don't "interpret" the laws of physics or mathematical rules. If you get a 1st, you grasped the subject better.

"I read a good article once that 2.2s reflect a more rounded student who actually balanced themselves and their life better at University."

Read where? The Sun? What were these students doing besides study that was so essential? Charity work? I doubt it! Every 2:2 I met simply spent too much time at the bar and sleeping through classes. Responsibilities during an undergrad degree are minimal. Email any recruiter of a FTSE 500 company with this "article" and see what they say. They'll laugh at you. There's nothing impressive about a 2:2 - it just means you turned up most days, and were most likely getting pissed the others.

"it's more relevant WHEN you studied, as everyone knows what a conveyor belt process getting GCSEs, ALevels, and Degrees became after the mid-1990s."

No, it's more relevant WHERE and WHAT you studied. Look at the graduate profiles of top employers in Finance, Energy, IT, etc. They all went to good universities and did academically rigorous subjects. No 2:2's or "film studies" in sight.

Posts like yours are encouraging a culture of being average and unambitious in the UK. It is bad news. If you're a student reading this and you want to be one of the best, you better work as hard as you can NOW. You can do plenty other things at uni like sport etc and do very well academically too. An initial HR automated screening process may not sort between degree classifications, but someone somewhere WILL. Everyone I know with a 1st class is doing significantly better (paywise) than everyone else. As if you could be negatively looked upon for working harder! Like someone else said, you sound like a bitter 2:2 grad trying to justify in hindsight. Bad advice.
Reply 62
Original post by ArtGoblin
It depends what grade you get within the boundary. Someone with 67-69% is of a similar standard to someone with a first but there is a considerable difference between someone with 60% and someone with 70%. A 60% is below average in terms of grading considering most people get 2:1s, whereas someone with a first is at least in the top 20% in their year, and probably higher.

It's bigger than it seems because realistically your degree is marked out of 70, at least for arts/social science students. To get a first, you have to pretty much consistently get 70 because any less will drop your average whereas a 2:1 student has much more room to manoeuvre. Also, if you take these figures, the difference between each grade boundary is more than 10% because it's not out of 100.

Excellent post.

Trust me

What about people who balance their lives with their degrees and obtain top grades? Or is your head so firmly planted in a retarded bubble that you don't think people like that exist?
Reply 64
Lol after seeing this thread I had to post. This area is not that complex and posts by Heather and Albert are deluded and ridiculous. I make the following points:

1) The difference between a 1st and 2.1 is massive if you want to do a masters at top uni like LSE,Cambridge,Warwick for courses such as MSC Finance.

2) In terms of graduate schemes I can say from experiences of applying this year and getting offers it doesn't matter much if you have 1st or 2.1 really it just matters you are going to get a 2.1 or better. Also you need to remember that when most people start to apply they are in their last year and haven't got their degree classification yet. Banks could not care less they do not look at your grades they don't ask for your grades they just ask your predicted a 2.1 or better. Whilst Accountancy just want to see solid grades. From experiences it may look better to have 1st class grades for small firms who will look at you more indivdaully. Where as big firms just say 2.1 as prerequisite and then they have their own process to judge you which they value much higher than your studies and grades. At the end of the day it comes down to how you perform in their tests and in their assessment days etc..

3) Albert says don't worry about your degree classification that is ridiculous. You must get a 2.1, I repeat you must get a 2.1 or you are screwed unless your from oxford or maybe Lse where courses are much harder. You can still do something with a 2.2 but your % chance of getting your desired job goes down significantly.

4) A lot of people do say that those who get 1st are socially awkward and lack personality etc and those who get 2.2 are stupid and lazy. The fact is yes some will fit into that description. But because the demand for grad jobs outstrips the supply of jobs there is without doubt plenty of people who have the whole package i.e. 1st class or high 2.1 + socially good +internship etc.

5) Lol also 2.2 students aren't more balanced you retard. i just finished my degree and killed myself studying in library everyday. It does not take a genius to work out those who were in library working all the time are going to get the 1st and 2.1 degrees and those who do little work get what they deserve.

6) The point on subjective exam grades what do you think markers are doing its not like me or you doing a movie review. Even if subject is not pure maths and is more subjective say what I do Economics which is maths but also is essay writing. You have to use theory and academic papers to back up your claims and your work is marked by experts.

Overall people who get a 1st or 2.1 do better than those who get lower grades which is fair and to be expected. Students should just try their best and work hard and then they should achieve a good result. Also you must get involved with clubs and society and be class rep etc so you fill up your cv and will help you to get an internship which is vital know a days. As when applying for internships it is really the only time you don't get nailed for not having pacific work experiences. Then this internship will look good and you will get so many more interviews for graduate jobs. I guess my main point is be balanced- have a good degree, good degree classification, an internship and hobbies. Lol I say all this without knowing my degree classification which I will know in the next 2 weeks!!
It depends what grade you get within the boundary. Someone with 67-69% is of a similar standard to someone with a first but there is a considerable difference between someone with 60% and someone with 70%.

Assuming those with firsts are just squeaking into that top bracket. Although that is common in arts/social sciences there are exceptional students who do manage averages in the high 70's or even low 80's. I wouldn't put 2:1 students on a par with them.
Original post by ChemistBoy
Assuming those with firsts are just squeaking into that top bracket. Although that is common in arts/social sciences there are exceptional students who do manage averages in the high 70's or even low 80's. I wouldn't put 2:1 students on a par with them.

Yeah, that's why I said those with 70% rather than those with firsts. The highest mark I ever heard anyone get on my course was 80 and that was in a module meant for students in the year below. Although marks given vary between courses and universities, I would be very surprised to see an arts student with an 80% average.
Yeah, that's why I said those with 70% rather than those with firsts. The highest mark I ever heard anyone get on my course was 80 and that was in a module meant for students in the year below. Although marks given vary between courses and universities, I would be very surprised to see an arts student with an 80% average.

So would I, but I know it happens (have a friend and an ex-gf who both managed it in history and art history respectively).
Reply 68
:cool:
I have just got my results back and finished my degree with a high 1st. I averaged 80%, but it's not like I'll get any more credit than someone who got 70%, (even though a 10% difference is practically a degree classification in any other case).

It's had its perks so far, I am entitled to a £9000 bursary on my PGCE, but I can't imagine it will be noticed once I've gained that qualification. I've never really believed that grades define a persons success or opportunities and I still think that's the case. The highest grade I got at GCSE level was C and that bare minimum allowed me to get to college, get a job and then go to uni (where I've probably outperformed people on my course that got As at GCSE and A Level).

grades don't really mean anything, they are a lazy aid created for employers to make a quick judgement on a person.
Reply 70
I think in terms of job prospects, it really depends what your degree is, not whether you've gotten a first or 2:1
Reply 71
I have been thinking how to answer this precisely, but seriously do not know how to because in reality the only two advantages over 1st and 2.1 is that 1st students are more of an A student in their undergraduates, while 2.1 are B students meaning they are good applying more into their degree then the 2.1 students. Second thing is that 1st students will have a priority over 2.1 students in doing a masters if lets say strictly only one space was available in a masters course and both a 1st and 2.1 student wanted to apply for this one space, but in saying that, both have the opportunity to apply for a good postgraduate. Complicated question.
Original post by FrostyLemon
I have just got my results back and finished my degree with a high 1st. I averaged 80%, but it's not like I'll get any more credit than someone who got 70%, (even though a 10% difference is practically a degree classification in any other case).

It's had its perks so far, I am entitled to a £9000 bursary on my PGCE, but I can't imagine it will be noticed once I've gained that qualification. I've never really believed that grades define a persons success or opportunities and I still think that's the case. The highest grade I got at GCSE level was C and that bare minimum allowed me to get to college, get a job and then go to uni (where I've probably outperformed people on my course that got As at GCSE and A Level).

grades don't really mean anything, they are a lazy aid created for employers to make a quick judgement on a person.

Congratulations :smile: good luck with the PGCE, its really tough but worth it in the end! What subject are you going to be teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the last four pages. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

You may think I am just someone who thinks I am superior or whatever. However, I do not hold a First and I did not go to Oxbridge. I am just stating the facts. Facts which a surprising majority of you are too blind to see.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles.
Having said this, a 2:1 is a great achievement and unless you want to go to the very top (which you still can with a 2:1) you will most likely end up doing very well with your life.
Reply 74
I was inspired to post a new thread in response to this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2170604

For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the four pages in that thread. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms (and I mean the top) in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

You may think I am just someone who thinks I am superior or whatever. However, I do not hold a First and I did not go to Oxbridge. I am just stating the facts. Facts which a surprising majority of you are too blind to see.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles, and maybe rightly so in the way that I went about it.
Having said this, a 2:1 is a great achievement and unless you want to go to the very top (which you still can with a 2:1) you will most likely end up doing very well with your life.
Original post by ANB1993
I am just stating the facts. Facts which a surprising majority of you are too blind to see.

What "facts" are you stating? I didn't see any. I only see you calling people "naive" - people who have in many cases already graduated and been through the graduate milkround... and thus have direct experience of the differences in value between different degree classifications, of which you don't.
Reply 76
Original post by Smack
What "facts" are you stating? I didn't see any. I only see you calling people "naive" - people who have in many cases already graduated and been through the graduate milkround... and thus have direct experience of the differences in value between different degree classifications, of which you don't.

How would you be aware of what experiences I have had?
I believe have a First is much more advantageous than having a 2.1.

Firstly, when it comes to the majority of graduate jobs, you need a 2.1. This means that the majority of the candidates will have a 2.1, so if you have a First you'll be 'better' than those candidates who only achieved a 2.1.

I am studying Law and it is very difficult to gain a first in that. In Exeter only 7% of students get a First. Only 15% got a First in Law from Cambridge. At least with getting a First, you'll be within the top bunch of students.

It is utter rubbish that a 2.2 student is more 'well-rounded'. What a load of tosh. It is entirely possible to graduate with a First, as well as having good EC's and social life, as well as some good work experience too.
Original post by ANB1993
I was inspired to post a new thread in response to this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2170604

For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the four pages in that thread. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms (and I mean the top) in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles, and maybe rightly so in the way that I went about it.

Totally agree.
I think it depends what uni you went to anyway, I'd rather have a 2.1 from my uni then a First from an ex-poly. Not going to change my mind on that.

And yeah a first is better than a 2.1 but I don't think it gives you a huge bonus. It's like getting an A* at A level - sure, it's good, but the majority of the time an A would've sufficed. Getting a First might get you a foot in the door for an interview but if your personality equates to that of a wet mop and you haven't done anything else with your time, what's the point? 2.1 with extras is better than a First without. Loads of people on my course with a 2.1 or First got rejected for vac schemes when it was all they had going for them, it's not enough.

Getting a First with lots of other stuff you've done and a social life is obviously the best. Just don't know how many people actually do that. I bet it's not the majority of those with a First who do..so yeah, your opinion is valid, but there's nothing "factual" about it because Firsts and grades in general are so subjective. What uni you went to, how hard you had to work etc all play a huge part in it so I don't think you can ever make an objective statement about it, tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending