The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For men, the advantage of getting a first averages out at 6% higher salary than those without a first. For women there is no apparent advantage in terms of salary.

Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22717579
It would seem obvious to me that a first is better than a 2:1. I won't go to uni for a few years, but it's just common sense. Obviously professional experience is going to be more important, but between two similar candidates, a first is going to be more advantageous.
Personally, I don't think it matters what classification you get in the longer term. Unless you are going to walk around wearing a placard round your neck with it for the rest of your life, no-one is going to know or care what you got.

I guess it's what you make of your life after the course. The degree you may have gained might figure in that or it might not. Although the OP may be right in his assertions, it seems to me that in actual practice and the experience of other students/graduates this is not quite as clear cut.
Original post by ANB1993
For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the last four pages. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

You may think I am just someone who thinks I am superior or whatever. However, I do not hold a First and I did not go to Oxbridge. I am just stating the facts. Facts which a surprising majority of you are too blind to see.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles.
Having said this, a 2:1 is a great achievement and unless you want to go to the very top (which you still can with a 2:1) you will most likely end up doing very well with your life.

Oh the reps you're going to receive for validating my hard work for a year.
so you can stick it in your office and commit yourself to years of vigorous mental masturbation

cant wait to get mine
Reply 85
I was inspired to post a new thread in response to this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2170604

For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the four pages in that thread. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms (and I mean the top) in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

You may think I am just someone who thinks I am superior or whatever. However, I do not hold a First and I did not go to Oxbridge. I am just stating the facts. Facts which a surprising majority of you are too blind to see.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles, and maybe rightly so in the way that I went about it.
Having said this, a 2:1 is a great achievement and unless you want to go to the very top (which you still can with a 2:1) you will most likely end up doing very well with your life.
Reply 86
Original post by ANB1993
I was inspired to post a new thread in response to this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2170604

For a forum that prides itself on being the keen students and the intelligent ones so to speak I am completely in awe of the stupidity being spouted out over the four pages in that thread. Clearly a first is more advantageous than a 2:1. People are saying that a First is just for those who work hard. Nonsense! Exams at university are entirely different to those at school. It is just sheer naivety and inexperience/ignorance if you think it is "those that revise well get firsts".

Another point raised was that a First is only of real value if you go into research. Where did you source this lunacy? If you look at internships at the top firms (and I mean the top) in London, the vast majority of those are filled by those who are either A) Oxbridge Students or B) Have Firsts in their degrees.

Oh the negs I am going to receive for bursting some peoples bubbles, and maybe rightly so in the way that I went about it.

I would wager that graduate employment is far too complex to give a simple yes or not to the answer but that people can exaggerate how much an advantage a first can be.

Invariably of course having a first over a 2:1 is an advantage in academia, especially the arts, as it's often easier to get funding.

In employment there are quite a number of graduate schemes where little to no distinction is made between those with firsts, and those with 2:1s or even 2:2s. The Civil Service fast stream appears to operate this way, for example.

But on the other hand, with the increasing number of graduates, and the market so saturated, I'm sure there are also firms and companies who will show preference to those with firsts. It's quite well known that a predicted first, or at least a 2:1 with consistent marks in the mid to high 60s, is necessary for internships at several law firms.

Again, graduate employment is so vast and complex.
I got a First at university. If I had slipped up and only got a 2:1, I'd probably be in exactly the same position that I'm in now, because the offer for the job I'm doing at the moment was conditional upon me getting at least a 2:1. The fact that I got a First doesn't, so far, seem to have given me anything that I couldn't have got without it.

On the other hand, it's possible that I only received my job offer to begin with because I was on track for a First. It will have certainly strengthened my application a little bit. (Although whether it made the difference between getting an offer and not getting one, I don't know. It's possible.)
Reply 88
I got a first class degree in English back in 2003 from a good university, but it's made no difference to my employment prospects whatsoever. In addition to my degree I also have lots of work experience, gained just before and after I completed my degree. However in 2008, for family reasons, I was forced to re-locate to another area of the UK, and since then I've struggled to find work. I'm unemployed, although, technically, I work for far less than the minimum wage on a self-employed basis. I've had my CV reviewed and honed by professionals and have applied for hundreds of jobs all over the country, but never even get to interview stage. For some reason, I'm being sidelined before a potential employer has even met me.

Back in 2003, I thought getting a first would open doors, but, instead the doors have been firmly shut. I've thought about possible reasons why I'm currently 'unemployable' (I have no criminal record, have never been sacked, or made redundant). What baffles me the most is that employers are rejecting my applications time and time again before they have even met me. I've even contemplated the possibility that my 'first class' honours might be the reason why employers aren't interested. Any thoughts anyone?
Original post by BluePot
I got a first class degree in English back in 2003 from a good university, but it's made no difference to my employment prospects whatsoever. In addition to my degree I also have lots of work experience, gained just before and after I completed my degree. However in 2008, for family reasons, I was forced to re-locate to another area of the UK, and since then I've struggled to find work. I'm unemployed, although, technically, I work for far less than the minimum wage on a self-employed basis. I've had my CV reviewed and honed by professionals and have applied for hundreds of jobs all over the country, but never even get to interview stage. For some reason, I'm being sidelined before a potential employer has even met me.

Back in 2003, I thought getting a first would open doors, but, instead the doors have been firmly shut. I've thought about possible reasons why I'm currently 'unemployable' (I have no criminal record, have never been sacked, or made redundant). What baffles me the most is that employers are rejecting my applications time and time again before they have even met me. I've even contemplated the possibility that my 'first class' honours might be the reason why employers aren't interested. Any thoughts anyone?

Maybe you haven't done enough relevant work for their field? They might want someone with work experience in their field. It could just be that there are just better applicants who have better and more relevant work experience than you. I don't think interviewers are going to be looking at your 1st much now, as its been 12 years since you graduated. I think the fact that you are self-employed might hurt you as they are worried you won't adapt to the workplace as well as someone who has been working at a company their entire lives.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Okorange
Maybe you haven't done enough relevant work for their field? They might want someone with work experience in their field. It could just be that there are just better applicants who have better and more relevant work experience than you. I don't think interviewers are going to be looking at your 1st much now, as its been 12 years since you graduated. I think the fact that you are self-employed might hurt you as they are worried you won't adapt to the workplace as well as someone who has been working at a company their entire lives.

Thanks for your comments.
Well said and congrats on your achievements! I feel inspired by your words to keep working towards a first with my current degree. Thanks!
Original post by Doits
Amidst the loads of debate for the distinction between a 2.1 and a 2.2, how much does everyone think a First class degree has an edge over a 2.1 degree?

Massive advantage for postgraduate places. Some PhDs will require a first or even a high first. A few graduate roles ask for a 1:1, more employers will have a 2:1 as the minimum but favor graduates with a 1:1 nonetheless (all else being equal).
Original post by Alex_Jones
The simple answer is not as big as a difference as between a 2.2 and a 2.1.
However it will probably add a couple points to a job app but experience is going to probably be more important

Several graduate employers are now considering a 2.2 on the basis that they found degree classification has little impact on one's ability to perform the job. Better indicators tend to be cognitive tests. So the gap between perception of a 2.2 & 2.1 may be narrowing.
I cheesed a first and got 69.2% (so by .2%).
Doubt that getting a first makes a considerable difference. It may do at getting your very first job post degree if its not a 'professional' degree, but after that the importance of grades dwindle considerably.
Similarly, post-graduate grades are almost not considered relative to experience and may be considered superfluous 'extras' in a way.

Though a 2.2 can be very detrimental, as it can limit where you can apply to. Only a distinction between that and a 2.1 really. Not a significant difference between a 2.1 and a first. To me, the time investment to get a first rather than a 2.1 probably wouldn't be worth it.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Massive advantage for postgraduate places. Some PhDs will require a first or even a high first. A few graduate roles ask for a 1:1, more employers will have a 2:1 as the minimum but favor graduates with a 1:1 nonetheless (all else being equal).

I would see that as being very poor practice, as you're homogenising your group so dramatically. Maybe only in academia would that be favorable, where ability/performance in that area is a fair primary indicator (as in a PhD). Feel recruiters in industry would be shooting themselves in the foot though.
Original post by Anon07079191
Several graduate employers are now considering a 2.2 on the basis that they found degree classification has little impact on one's ability to perform the job. Better indicators tend to be cognitive tests. So the gap between perception of a 2.2 & 2.1 may be narrowing.

I never really understood the use of cognitive tests in employment.

They don't seem particularly illustrative of ability to do a job well (some people perform badly in cognitive tests for some reason or another, or conversely function better due to their structured nature), and just seems to be an excuse to limit the number of applications to be considered.

Think I remember looking at medical tests employed and scores on those, and a low correlation with medical school success etc.
Original post by hellodave5
I would see that as being very poor practice, as you're homogenising your group so dramatically. Maybe only in academia would that be favorable, where ability/performance in that area is a fair primary indicator (as in a PhD). Feel recruiters in industry would be shooting themselves in the foot though.

For a wide variety of jobs, most jobs in fact, academic performance won't be a very good indicator, but for jobs with professional examinations (actuary, patent attorney) or those that require the ability to pick up complex ideas very quickly it will be advantageous to favor applicants with better grades. It really depends on what the priorities are in hiring your workforce.

They don't seem particularly illustrative of ability to do a job well (some people perform badly in cognitive tests for some reason or another, or conversely function better due to their structured nature), and just seems to be an excuse to limit the number of applications to be considered.

Think I remember looking at medical tests employed and scores on those, and a low correlation with medical school success etc.

And aside from that the cognitive tests used tend to be very basic. I think they just act as a screening stage.

Maybe it's different for medical school but the tests that I took for Big4 jobs have definitely been relevant because the techniques tested in the cognitive tests have shown up a far bit in the ICAS qualification.

In terms of not illustrating the ability to perform a job well, I'm fairly sure (from my own opinion and lots of background reading when applying for grad jobs) that degree classification is not a tremendously fantastic indicator of ability to do a job either.

Latest