The Student Room Group

Medicine 2013 rejection thread

Scroll to see replies

Got my rejection from Barts yesterday, it was my 4th choice but still a bit annoying to see the rejection.
Original post by meisadam
Hi!
I got a rejection from Barts yesterday.
My ukcat mean is 738, lowest score 680 and got an interview from Oxford so far. Haven't heard from other choices - St Georges and King's, altough quite a lot of people already had interviews with them.
When I logged into Track after reading the "app status notification" email, I had to answer two questions, am I an EU national and is my parent/spouse/etc an EU national. As far as I remember, there was something related to fees as the reason for asking these. I answered both positively and then could see the rejection :biggrin: Do you think it could have been a situation that the uni's decision was based on those questions? (I'm not from the UK)

I'm a UK student and I had the same thing + a Barts rejection, it's because we 'didn't meet the general selection critirea' :frown:
I'm really sorry for all those with rejections, but your applications all sound AMAZING! Good luck to everyone! I really hope I get in... not heard ANYTHING!!!
Got rejected from Oxford st Anne's few days ago
Rejected from hyms
Waiting for Nottingham
Got offers for pharmacology from kings and Aberdeen but would take a gap year I think if Nottingham rejects me :frown:
It does feel pretty bad :'(

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Sazam your predicted grade was really good! I thought a high predicted grade would compensate for the ukcat. Good luck on the other unis :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 145
Original post by AtomicMan
Sorry about manchester :frown:

When did you get a rejection? Im trying to figure out if they have finished rejecting or not, since Ive yet to hear back from them.

I got mine 3 weeks ago, and then another rejections were sent out 1-2 week ago, so I guess they are pretty much done with it..?

It's okay! :wink:after a rejection from manchester I got invitations from 2 other uni! It has brought me luck!

:goodluck:
Original post by lmy1106
I got mine 3 weeks ago, and then another rejections were sent out 1-2 week ago, so I guess they are pretty much done with it..?

It's okay! :wink:after a rejection from manchester I got invitations from 2 other uni! It has brought me luck!

Super congrats! Which two other uni and good lick!
Original post by lmy1106

Sorry, I mean good luck!
Original post by lmy1106

Hope that'd happen to me as well... :rolleyes:
Original post by callummj6747
I'm a UK student and I had the same thing + a Barts rejection, it's because we 'didn't meet the general selection critirea' :frown:

This probably refers to the UCAS Tarriff cutoff of 460UCAS points.
Original post by Pronk
WAT

THATS NOT BAD AT ALL

The average was 3A! only 0.5 off in the essay! You did excellently! You'd even have got an interview if you applied to Oxbridge with that, I know somebody who got 5, 5.5, 3C and got interviewed at Cambridge. I'm sure that's good enough for UCL, don't worry!

some colleges at cambridge interview everyone.
My friend did really bad and got an interview (then she told us everyone is interviewed there aha)
Original post by lmy1106

ahhh well done wuith the two invitations -where from? :smile:
Original post by iozsan
Well as a safety I got Kings conditional offer but for biomed sciences. Do you think its better attending that plus grad med or gap year plus undergrad med?

As someone who is currently on a gap year after receiving four rejections last year, I'd definitely say gap year.
That said, I didn't even apply for a back-up last year. If you feel you'd enjoy biomedical sciences and don't mind grad entry medicine, then feel free - but a gap year gives you so many opportunities. Get some experience, raise a bit of money, go travelling, whatever - so long as you don't laze around all year I'd say it's actually a bit of a blessing in disguise!

Having said that, I have two friends who failed to get the grades for Medicine and are currently studying biomed and are thoroughly enjoying it. It's each to their own really, but I've decided not to commit myself to a degree I don't want to study before trying at least once more.
I agree with TattyBoJangles. Last year I also got 4 rejections (2 interviews) but I really wanted to do medicine so I decided to take a dreaded gap year and reapply. 5 of my friends were meant to take a gap year too but didnt get the grades and are enjoying biomed. I've managed to get 3 interviews as I've seen where I went wrong in my application and I've got the opportunity to work and travel. As well as take a bit of a breather between school and universities. I'd say take a gap year (if you have to) but don't bother if you don't get the grades because getting in as a resitter is very unlikely unless you have an extraordinary UKCAT (740 plus).
Reply 154
Got rejected from KCL yesterday. Three rejections. Sort of wouldn't mind if Barts reject me too because at least I'd be able to have a second shot at applying to unis I'd prefer to go to, and I'd get to plan a gap year.... Feeling pretty **** at the moment though
Reply 155
Original post by Pronk
Got rejected from KCL yesterday. Three rejections. Sort of wouldn't mind if Barts reject me too because at least I'd be able to have a second shot at applying to unis I'd prefer to go to, and I'd get to plan a gap year.... Feeling pretty **** at the moment though

I know exactly what you mean, when I applied again this year it felt AMAZING to have a clean slate, with track completely clean and no unsightly "unsuccsessfull" messages in sight. The pain of rejections really, really hurt, but that fades when you realise you know have a year to strengthen your application, giving you an advantage over your average yr 13 applicant (average as in the common applicant, not that yr 13's average :tongue: )
Reply 156
Original post by j.t-Jack
I know exactly what you mean, when I applied again this year it felt AMAZING to have a clean slate, with track completely clean and no unsightly "unsuccsessfull" messages in sight. The pain of rejections really, really hurt, but that fades when you realise you know have a year to strengthen your application, giving you an advantage over your average yr 13 applicant (average as in the common applicant, not that yr 13's average :tongue: )

Did you get straight rejections in year 13 then? What did you get for A-Levels and where are you applying now? And what are you doing in the gap year if you don't mind me asking all of that haha? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to know what I could do if Barts reject me
Reply 157
Original post by Pronk
Did you get straight rejections in year 13 then? What did you get for A-Levels and where are you applying now? And what are you doing in the gap year if you don't mind me asking all of that haha? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to know what I could do if Barts reject me

I dont mind :tongue:
Yes I got straight rejections in yr 13, ironically my last rejection was from Barts. for A-levels I got A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology, maths and physics respectively. I applied to UCL, Imperial, Nottingham and Aberdeen this year. Right now Im funding my gap year travel plans to New York, Backpacking in South America and a 2 week trip to Japan by working in a hotel but I am also training for St Jhon Ambulance and doing voluntary work in a hospice on my days off. I have also been jogging, swimming and weightlifting. I hated the thought of a gap year last year, but Im actually kind of happy about it, it gives me the time to do all the things I have ever wanted to do and my application is A MILLION times sronger than it was last year
Reply 158
Yes I got straight rejections in yr 13, ironically my last rejection was from Barts. for A-levels I got A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology, maths and physics respectively. I applied to UCL, Imperial, Nottingham and Aberdeen this year. Right now Im funding my gap year travel plans to New York, Backpacking in South America and a 2 week trip to Japan by working in a hotel but I am also training for St Jhon Ambulance and doing voluntary work in a hospice on my days off. I have also been jogging, swimming and weightlifting. I hated the thought of a gap year last year, but Im actually kind of happy about it, it gives me the time to do all the things I have ever wanted to do and my application is A MILLION times sronger than it was last year

Whoaaa amazing grades! Well done! How did you revise?? You're obviously very smart so do you know why you got rejections in year 13? Where did you apply back then?
And that gap year sounds INCREDIBLE, I bet you'll enjoy that!! Best of luck with your current application :smile:

Did you have any help funding your gap year from relatives etc? It's because I know I won't get any help. if I have to be honest i can't stand the thought of a gap year now and I can see myself kinda working most of the year at somewhere I don't want to be, funding a two week trip to India ors something :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending