The Student Room Group

How likely is it that a graduate would find work after graduating

What else may be required?

Scroll to see replies

Well considering once the degree has been finished, every student will be up against each other for jobs not to mention other universities and standards of degree. I never went to University and have already held 2 full time jobs (I'm 23) and i probably had to beat some graduates to this post.
(edited 11 years ago)
A piece of paper from uni is not enough for most jobs. Previous part time employment, and/or work experience related to your area is highly recommended.
Original post by Best Of The West
Well considering once the degree has been finished, every student will be up against each other for jobs not to mention other universities and standards of degree. I never went to University and have already held 2 full time jobs (I'm 23) and i probably had to beat some graduates to this post.

What route did you go round?
And do you think its worth doing an apprenticeship to help find decent jobs in the future?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
And do you think its worth doing an apprenticeship to help find decent jobs in the future?

It really depends on what you want to do!
Reply 5
I'm in the creative industry, so a piece of paper counts for little to nothing. It's all about experience and portfolio. I got a graduates job for my portfolio alone, I never went to university.
What tends to happen these days is students use university as a doss around just to get that certificate at the end of it, but didnt learn enough during that time to be of any real use.
even in engineering u need experience

Apprenticeships are only worth doing if it is like a technical NVQ like Engineering, there are some fantastic companies which offer apprenticeships and excellent salaries.
Reply 8
A degree is just a paper. Work experience mostly is everything.
Reply 9
What else may be required?

You need to to think about this differently. There are very few jobs which are actually graduate level and they are mostly vocational (i.e. medicine). Most graduate jobs have simply been inflated for one reason or another. This means that relevant work experience is what matters in almost all cases.
If you don't have any relevant job experience then I wouldn't hold out much hope. Employers are caring less and less about qualifications - more about actual relevant experience, even voluntary experiences that you can relate to the job.
Well after 2 years . . .I am still looking!! I wish I never bothered with uni! I have loads of work experience (paid/unpaid), and I still can't get anything full time!
Original post by DancinBallerina
Well after 2 years . . .I am still looking!! I wish I never bothered with uni! I have loads of work experience (paid/unpaid), and I still can't get anything full time!

Try applying in hospitals they always have full time jobs going! at least the ones here do.
Reply 13
I know people that have landed good jobs with no experience and just a degree - they probably knew someone though.
Reply 14

What degree do you have? Have you considered retail management? Personally I have always said I wouldn't go near it but you can get good money in the retail sector - you don't have to be on the shop floor all day either.
Reply 15
Real 'how long is a piece of string' question.
Don't think there's much doubt that if you spend a good part of your 3 years doing 'the right things' working up a portfolio, getting experience, volunteering or networking you're in a better position than the people who do non of that and don't think about work till they finish the last year 3 exam.
Reply 16

Me neither. I hate looking for crim justice jobs! It's too hard :frown:
Original post by music788
Me neither. I hate looking for crim justice jobs! It's too hard :frown:

Do you have a Criminology and Sociology degree as well??? . . .

Original post by grumbeale
What degree do you have? Have you considered retail management? Personally I have always said I wouldn't go near it but you can get good money in the retail sector - you don't have to be on the shop floor all day either.

I've just my left retail job (August), and I don't want to return to it - hated it!! 5years was enough for me!!! lol

Degree - Criminology and Sociology. Yes, some may say it's a mickey mouse degree, but the career routes into it are pretty good, and that is where my interest is. Although I am starting to look outside the box, and look at other avenues because the government is in no hurry to recruit/inject £££ into the jobs related to the degree, if anything, it's cut backs galore!!! :/

Original post by Best Of The West
Try applying in hospitals they always have full time jobs going! at least the ones here do.

Trying that everytime a job comes up that I feel I am capable of doing, never hear a damn thing though! lol :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Do you have a Criminology and Sociology degree as well??? . . .

Nope, Psychology and Criminology. Finally managed to get a crim justice job this week, although it's low down and the wage is poor. Have you had any luck?
Original post by music788
Nope, Psychology and Criminology. Finally managed to get a crim justice job this week, although it's low down and the wage is poor. Have you had any luck?

Congratulations. How did you manage to get that (hope you don't mind me asking)? Hey, at least you're in the CJS, which is the main thing. You can then gradually work your way up. Nope, still no luck :frown:. I am beginning to think perhaps I am unemployable? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending