The Student Room Group

Can you live off 17k a year?

I have a bit of a problem. I've been asked to go to an interview next week for a job in the career area I want to pursue, and would therefore be an awesome chance to get my foot in the door. However, as this job is low down it only pays 17k. With taxes, i'd only take home 14k. Moreover, this job is up north which is around 4/5 hours drive from where I live now. So living at home is definitely not an option, i'd have to rent a room in a house.

Should I go to the interview or not? :confused: I already have a part time retail job to tie me over, and a few (better paid) full time jobs have come up here at home (although the closing dates for them aren't until December). But this would be the foot in the door that I need to work my way up, and I think i'd really enjoy the job. Plus it's only a 6 month fixed term contract. However, another option is to carry on with my retail job and wait until stuff comes up closer to home.

Any thoughts? :frown:
Yes. You are unlikely to get anything to pay you more without experience.

You will need to relocate. Be aware due to low income you will be able to get housing benefits (maybe even council tax reduction depending on their limits).

Just make sure you live within a budget so you don't start piling up debts with credit cards and the like.
Reply 2
£14k take home pay is EASILY enough to live on. I've lived on take home pay of around £10.5k for the last five years, and have managed fine
Reply 3
That is plenty, especially up north! I was perfectly happy living on £16k in Surrey (and have worked for less!).

It's unlikely you will be able to afford your own place though, you may be looking at a house share, if you want to have any spending money.

It's amazing how much money one wastes when living at home with your parents. I can't imagine your retail job pays any more than that anyway?
Reply 4
Thanks for all your help. It's easy to loose sight of things when all your friends seem to have started on 25/30k!

Original post by Jd1982
It's amazing how much money one wastes when living at home with your parents. I can't imagine your retail job pays any more than that anyway?

It doesn't. However, my problem is that jobs that are quite relevant (but not AS relevant) to what I want to do have come up in my area that pay more, but the deadline isn't for a while. I would be in a pickle if I got both jobs and had to pick between them. However, with the higher paid and closer to home jobs, i've done very similar things before and thus probably wouldnt be adding much to my CV at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
The vast majority of students manage to live on less than that. That's one good thing about university - it teaches you how to live frugally.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
The vast majority of students manage to live on less than that. That's one good thing about university - it teaches you how to live frugally.

I guess. After tax and rent/bills it would still be tight though as the area is quite expensive by the looks. I'd probably have somewhere between 100 and 150 to live off a week.
Original post by music788
I guess. After tax and rent/bills it would still be tight though as the area is quite expensive by the looks. I'd probably have somewhere between 100 and 150 to live off a week.

17k salary is no problem if you are happy to continue living with a student attitude to money (housesharing, no luxury clothes etc)

I've had two jobs that have paid less than that wage (in the north and south!) and its been fine. Even managed to save a bit each month.
Reply 8
Sure, why not. Just shoplift anything that's out of your price range.
Yes, you'll be fine :smile: Just be sensible in finding a place where you can afford rent
Reply 10
Original post by happydinosaur
17k salary is no problem if you are happy to continue living with a student attitude to money (housesharing, no luxury clothes etc)

I've had two jobs that have paid less than that wage (in the north and south!) and its been fine. Even managed to save a bit each month.

Thanks :smile: I'm a bit worried as I have a huge overdraft, so will need to save in order to bail myself out of it. But sounds do-able!
After being an uni and living of less than half £17k p.a. I now earn £19k a year which is more than enough to live off, I can't afford a place on my own but house sharing for a fixed price all in a month is a god send. My friends earn less than me (between £10k and £14k a year each) and they share a flat and both have cars and seem to do just fine. It's all about being frugal with your money, food shopping for own-store not branded goods, aim for a low mobile phone contract etc etc. All of this depends on getting the job though so if you go to the interview unsure you may not come off as your best. It's a whole life change so make sure it's what you really want before you dedicate yourself to the move and the bills etc. Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
If you're not a spoiled one that chases Calvin Klein, Gucci, Prada etc than you should be fine.
Reply 13
Shouldn't be too much of a problem, the north is probably on average a similar cost of living to herefordshire, though I haven't rented a place in hereford so can't comment on the prices there. In most of the north you can get a flat for £400/month without too much difficulty, which would give you about £200 per week to live off.
Reply 14
Of course it's possible - you're just going to have to live in a shared house to keep things cheap.

£1175/month after tax.

Find a shared accommodation including bills for about £350, maybe less.

That leaves you £825/month to spend on food and whatever else you may want.
Reply 15

If you're frugal, you could easily live off 150 a MONTH

To echo what others say, being a student really teaches you how to be smart with spending!
The one thing I've realised since going back to Uni is that essentially, whatever I earn, I will spend, but when the amount to spend is reduced, I don't really have a problem. So I now earn £400 per month less on my stipend than I did when I was working, but I don't really notice it. I live on the same amount you would be on your job, and it just means that I can't buy clothes like I used to, I don't get the expensive haircuts, and I think twice before I go out for dinner. It's not such a tiny amount to live off that I struggle, even remotely.
Reply 17

100 to 150 a week after tax/rent/bills is plenty to live on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
im actually living on about 4200 a year so yes it is possible. Would love to have 17K.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending