The Student Room Group

Question for girls: The pill

I was sort of reluctant to go on the pill because of the horror stories I'd heard about things like random bleeding, weight gain, spots, major mood swings, blood clots etc. But I've been taking Rigevidon (combined) for almost a month now and the only side effect I've had so far is extreme, extreme nausea for the first week or so.

Has anyone else has had any side effects from this, or any of the other contraceptive pills?
How long did the side effects last?
How far into taking the pill did they develop?
Everyone is different in terms of side affects. Personally, I'm lucky I never had any (taking Microgynon). But then you'll always have problems with any medicine. And I can't speak from my experiences but averagely side affects should last a few weeks, if longer maybe an alternative should be looked into.
I'm an implant kind-a gal. Much less to remember, far fewer side affects, much more convenient and less noticeable. If youre set on the pill, remember that horror pill stories are much like oxford interview stories. They happen, but theyre not as common or hellish as people imagine. Try, and if you are unlucky with your side affects, just explore other avenues :smile:
Reply 3
I've been on the pill for.... 6 months now. I was hesitant to go on the pill too (I was put on Microgynon 30 - Combined pill) and I have had no side effects whatsoever, no weight gain at all, no more spots than normal, no bleeding between periods. The only downside that I think I would say is that my periods are heavier because they are more regular than before (so kind of a hidden positive too).
Talk to your doctor if you have any side effects, there's is about 20 (I think) different types of pill they can put you on. I didn't opt for the implant or injection because I can't stand the idea of needles or anything like that. As long as you are likely to remember to take the pill every day and have minimal side effects, they are all as effective. :smile:
Reply 4
For nausea, I find taking mine at night works a trick. I think if you take it on an empty stomach before breakfast it makes you much more nauseous than taking them at night.
Reply 5
I've only suffered from three side effects of the pill, extreme bloating, being too emotionally sensitive and believe it or not, weight LOSS!!!
My stomach was so bloated to the point where I thought I was pregnant hahaha!! And I literally cried everyday because of no major reason! I also dropped from 57kg to 50!
the bloating and crying died down within three months:smile:
I started taking Microgynon 30 on the second of April, and here I am suffering from no side effects at all now!
Hope yours calms down soon!:smile: if it doesn't, then i recommend changing pills!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
i'm on the implant and it hasn't had any serious side effects for me (it did give me hectic periods but i went on the pill as well to sort them out and it worked) i was fine with the pill as well. to be honest i think most people that post online are the people that have bad side effects, you don't really hear about the people that are fine with it. My friend is also on it and it's been absolutely fine for her as well. :smile:
I started taking the pill (belara) last week but got breakthrough bleeding as a side effect so I'm gonna stop (I know it would probably stop after a couple of cycles but since I'm not in a relationship atm and don't necessarily need it I want to stop.)

I was just wondering if someone could say approx how much longer I'll be bleeding? (took last pill last night, and that was my 9th pill) It's been really bad today so do you think it will end by tomorrow? I'm seeing this guy tomorrow and I'll be gutted if we can't have sex for a stupid reason like this :frown:

Also, there's no way my period will start now that I stop taking the pill is there? I mean normally it should start when you stop taking the pill but seeing as I had my last period just last week and I've only taken 9 pills in total it doesn't apply here right?
I chose the coil over the pill because I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting all sorts of artificial hormones through my system and possibly having to change if one didn't work out.

I'm also terrible at remembering to take medication.
ive got the coli, best thing, no periods, no pills and its very reliable.
I take Ovysmen and I have for a year, I'm 16. I get sensitive and my mood changes are horrible. One minute I'm fine and then I snap or go grumpy lol, I have always been like that but the pill made it worse. My periods were a lot lighter, though and I had no period pain. They started during the first pack, I'm now onto my second box because I missed like 3 months worth. They haven't stopped affecting my mood swings.

Ovysmen took away my spots, I lost weight (it did yo-yo a bit) and the only negative was major mood swings.
I've had no negative side effects from taking Microgynon, but have had from others in the past.
I have had no side effects from Mycrogynon, but in the past I've had vomitting and spots from others

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had no obvious side effects from Microgynon. I've been taking it for probably nearly 2 years now.

I first started on the implant and just bled constantly. That one did not work for me at all.
Reply 14
I had horrible side effects with Microgynon. I gained weight, couldn't stop eating actually, sore stomach all the time, horrible headaches. So I asked to get it changed, and now I'm on Gedarel. It's pretty good so far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was on a combined pill (can't remember which one) because my period was never-ending, I'd bleed for like a month have a couple of days off then start again, so after just a few months of starting my period I went on it. It was great and defo sorted out my period! But then I started getting migraines and taking the combined pill with migraines can be really dangerous as it can massively increase the chances of a stroke? I duno, anyway now I'm on the mini pill. It's basically stopped my periods (or they're really light), but I still get migraines.
I didn't get any massively obvious side effects of either, the doctor thought the combined pill could've triggered my migraines but I still get them? I would suggest setting an alarm on your phone to remind you to take them every day- taking them at the same time helps make sure they're more reliable. I take mine at night just before I go to bed!
Original post by Anonymous
I started taking the pill (belara) last week but got breakthrough bleeding as a side effect so I'm gonna stop (I know it would probably stop after a couple of cycles but since I'm not in a relationship atm and don't necessarily need it I want to stop.)

I was just wondering if someone could say approx how much longer I'll be bleeding? (took last pill last night, and that was my 9th pill) It's been really bad today so do you think it will end by tomorrow? I'm seeing this guy tomorrow and I'll be gutted if we can't have sex for a stupid reason like this :frown:

Also, there's no way my period will start now that I stop taking the pill is there? I mean normally it should start when you stop taking the pill but seeing as I had my last period just last week and I've only taken 9 pills in total it doesn't apply here right?

I posted that a few weeks ago. Now my period's a few days late, and I was just wondering if going on the pill and then quickly coming off it has messed up my cycle, or what could be the reason? Is it possible I won't have my period this month at all?

Quick Reply

Latest