The Student Room Group

[URGENT] BBC Production Talent Pool Training and University Degree

Hey,

I want to get into Media / Production. It is interesting for me to research on ideas for shows, or doing research as a job that contributes to a TV show or something. Working on-set and meeting people is something I really want to do.

I am doing a personal statement in a week, and I think I will be doing Marketing at Aston (If I manage to get AAB in my A-Levels). Is this the right course for me if I want to eventually get a place in BBC's training program (or Channel4's equivalent) or just to simply work in production-related (telivision) roles ?

PS. I have heard Media Studies is pointless , so I dont think I will go through this route.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated, I have one week to make, effectively, the biggest decision of my life.. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by billy06
Hey,

I want to get into Media / Production. It is interesting for me to research on ideas for shows, or doing research as a job that contributes to a TV show or something. Working on-set and meeting people is something I really want to do.

I am doing a personal statement in a week, and I think I will be doing Marketing at Aston (If I manage to get AAB in my A-Levels). Is this the right course for me if I want to eventually get a place in BBC's training program (or Channel4's equivalent) or just to simply work in production-related (telivision) roles ?

PS. I have heard Media Studies is pointless , so I dont think I will go through this route.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated, I have one week to make, effectively, the biggest decision of my life.. :smile:

Hi billy, a Marketing degree won't particularly help in terms of making a career in production but a degree in anything is worth having in general terms. Graduating in Media Studies doesn't put you at any kind of advantage over any other degree but the critical thing is what else you do with your time in terms of gathering experience, contacts and generally making your CV more interesting. In general I would say you should go to the "best" University you can (Russell Group and 94 Group), to study the best academic course you can (English, Maths, History, French etc) and will enjoy.

Do not set your sights only on these highly competitive training schemes, they are by no means the only way to get into the business. And decide fairly soon what you mean by getting into the "media"; the numerous branches are very different from each other in terms of getting in and working experiences.
Reply 2
Original post by TV man
Hi billy, a Marketing degree won't particularly help in terms of making a career in production but a degree in anything is worth having in general terms. Graduating in Media Studies doesn't put you at any kind of advantage over any other degree but the critical thing is what else you do with your time in terms of gathering experience, contacts and generally making your CV more interesting. In general I would say you should go to the "best" University you can (Russell Group and 94 Group), to study the best academic course you can (English, Maths, History, French etc) and will enjoy.

Do not set your sights only on these highly competitive training schemes, they are by no means the only way to get into the business. And decide fairly soon what you mean by getting into the "media"; the numerous branches are very different from each other in terms of getting in and working experiences.

Thanks TV Man. I see where you are getting at- basically, gaining worthwhile experience will help 'spice up' my CV , and this will attract Media co-operations to me at a higher level than a simple media studies degree would.

Would Marketing count as a good academic course? I plan to study it at Aston, and I find it very interesting.

Maybe while I am at University I will join some sort of Production club, or make a YouTube account and write sketches? The truth is , I would find these things really enjoyable, and if they can help me swivel my way into a job in Production that would be awesome.

I actually met a Producer from the BBC, he really liked me, and told me to pursue something in the Television career. A huge regret of mine is not giving him my mobile number :/
Reply 3
Original post by billy06
Thanks TV Man. I see where you are getting at- basically, gaining worthwhile experience will help 'spice up' my CV , and this will attract Media co-operations to me at a higher level than a simple media studies degree would.

Would Marketing count as a good academic course? I plan to study it at Aston, and I find it very interesting.

Maybe while I am at University I will join some sort of Production club, or make a YouTube account and write sketches? The truth is , I would find these things really enjoyable, and if they can help me swivel my way into a job in Production that would be awesome.

I actually met a Producer from the BBC, he really liked me, and told me to pursue something in the Television career. A huge regret of mine is not giving him my mobile number :/

I don't really know what marketing is like. I imagine it is what people do to get into a career in marketing; if that's your fallback position then maybe that would be appropriate for you, or if it is something you have a articular interest in then why not?

Joining a production club, making short films, learning to drive, looking for experience in the industry, definitely writing - these are all good things to do, all will start moving you forward. You know it's competitive in the industry so anything you can do to improve the way you look on those the 2 sides of paper of your CV, then go for it!

And keep an eye on these sites, for when you start to think about applying:

The Unit List
TV Watercooler
So you want to work in TV
Production Base

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending