What is Nottingham like as a city? Thinking of studying there
Reply 1
Awesome.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Good parts/bad partys about it? I've heard it can be kinda rough..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
It is a good city to be a student
Reply 4
City is great, loads of pubs and clubs for the entertainment, fair bit of industry in various sectors for the work experience / employment side. Every city has its rough parts, but there really isn't any reason to be in them so its not a problem.
Reply 5
It's one of my favourite cities, unlike other places I've lived (such as Leeds and Reading) I think it's got real personality. However, it's always best to visit a place first to experience it yourself and see if you enjoy it!
Reply 6
It's great, most of the clubs are pretty sick (but, word of advice, if you do end up coming here, avoid the toilets in Ocean; some of the things I've seen in there, Christ).
Reply 7
I've lived in Nottingham all my life and although it has a bad reputation at times I've never had any bother.

Transport links are good, lots of buses, trams and trains.. Also fast buses to derby if you wanna go elsewhere

Great social life with the bars and clubs, capital arena and rock city gets lots of high profile names play here.

Although we don't have one central shopping centre like meadow hall or giant Westfield the shops Victoria centre is still great and there's lots of restaurants etc and cineworld in the city centre.
Just the same as other big cities I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It is a great city and a great university. Son is now in his 4th year there and has never had a problem. And he is out a lot. He just avoids the few bad areas.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone. Been for an open day and I really liked it. Got a conditional offer from there too which I'm going to firmly accept.
I'll admit to not being the most optimistic about Nottingham as a city before I arrived, but after 3.5 years my perceptions have changed to no end!

Always something on in Market Square from gaming competitions to Christmas markets, international markets to inflatables.

Nightlife?
Brilliant theatre and playhouse with fantastic performances.
A number of cinemas with the Savoy Cinema between town and University Park where students pay £3.80 (£1.90 on Orange Wednesdays..).
Plenty of real ale pubs.
Buzzing clubbing scene with students nights on almost every night.
Variety is brilliant - couple of excellent blues/jazz bars for the odd cocktail, the regular club nights, 80s/90s/00s, lots of alternative venues and events.
Loads of sports venues as expected.
Capital FM arena in the centre of town.
Great range of comedy clubs.

Culture?
Wollaton Hall and its deer park right next to University Park is lovely, with its natural history museum.
Nottingham Castle which I think is 50p entry for Nottingham students.
Newton Abbey - lovely place!
Art galleries from Lakeside Arts Centre on University Park to Nottingham Contemporary in the centre of town.
Recitals in the Djanogly Recital Hall on campus at lunchtimes and regular evening performances.
Range of museums in and around town and the county.

Shopping?
The Victoria Centre is a great mall (similar to Arndale in Manchester) with student shopper nights where it's open later and you get extra discount.
City streets have a great mix of major retailers and independent shops (so many cute hidden shops and pop-up shops!)
Supermarkets everywhere. There's a free bus from campus to a huge ASDA now, along with the regular 24/7 Tesco, Sainsbury's, all the late-opening branches etc.

Nature?
A number of nature reserves, lots of wonderful parks, around campuses and in town.
Geology-wise, there's a lot of history around Nottingham sandstone and what makes it different from gritstone you'll find in say the Peaks.
The city is also built on caves. Broadmarsh bus and shopping centre has an attraction which is fun. If you ask certain shopkeepers nicely enough, they'll let you go into the caves from their shops and you can walk right under the city centre (you'll have to PM me for contacts).
The University's campuses themselves are absolutely amazing. They win awards every single year, are under continuous development and landscaping, and you have everything from a boating lake to dozens of gardens to choose from.

Food?
Anything you'd expect from a city here - major chains to Michelin-star restaurants, fast food to quaint tea and coffee shops, volunteer cafes to independent brasseries.
Some fantastic green grocers. I get a veg box delivered from one in Wollaton (few mins walk from uni campuses) for cheaper than a supermarket and far better quality.
Not so many butchers to choose from, but Beeston, a short walk from University Park, has a great butchers with well-hanged meat.
On campus there's loads to choose from - University-run cafes to Starbucks, the Students' Union bar to a chinese takeaway.

Have a meeting soon. Generally, endless events and activities, stacks to do, and a city which is huge but feels very homely :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Emma-
I've lived in Nottingham all my life and although it has a bad reputation at times I've never had any bother.

Transport links are good, lots of buses, trams and trains.. Also fast buses to derby if you wanna go elsewhere

Great social life with the bars and clubs, capital arena and rock city gets lots of high profile names play here.

Although we don't have one central shopping centre like meadow hall or giant Westfield the shops Victoria centre is still great and there's lots of restaurants etc and cineworld in the city centre.
Just the same as other big cities I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you at uni there or anything?
Reply 12
No I'm not I'm afraid, ive studied at a college in the city centre though
I just live in Nottingham (got bored one day so looked what people were saying about notts unis)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh right I see, well thanks for the help anyway
Reply 14
hey, i live in nottingham..
and went to loads of the fresher events..
nottingham is good honestly.

there is something for everyone!!
i went to malia with my mates in the summer and everyone was like 'o youre from shottingham' but its just a horrible stereotype. the outskirts have some rough areas, but the center is lovely! its honestly really pretty, and its pedestrianised. there are pubs, clubs, cafes, shops, art gallerys, cinemas... you name it really?
and at night there are loads of police around, though they normally just chill haha. think just having them around keeps people calm or something?

ive found there are two types of accents the 'posh nottingham' and the 'rough nottingham' dont judge the people by how they talk! everyones more or less lovely (:

in my 5 years of going out here, i havent had any trouble at all. and i still love it!!

i have loads of friends going to uni in nottingham too, so it must be good if everyone is staying haha.

(:
Reply 15
Original post by Cloud(:

i went to malia with my mates in the summer and everyone was like 'o youre from shottingham' but its just a horrible stereotype. the outskirts have some rough areas, but the center is lovely! its honestly really pretty, and its pedestrianised. there are pubs, clubs, cafes, shops, art gallerys, cinemas... you name it really?
and at night there are loads of police around, though they normally just chill haha. think just having them around keeps people calm or something?

ive found there are two types of accents the 'posh nottingham' and the 'rough nottingham' dont judge the people by how they talk! everyones more or less lovely (:

in my 5 years of going out here, i havent had any trouble at all. and i still love it!!

i have loads of friends going to uni in nottingham too, so it must be good if everyone is staying haha.

(:

Good point there. I know several people who are palnning to stay there after they graduate
Reply 16
Original post by Cloud(:

(:

Yeah I've heard the shottingham thing and areas like St. Annes (which I think my uncle lives haha) when I told people I wanted to go to uni there but I've never actually heard of anyone being shot there?!

I went there for an open day and really liked it, I was quite amazed by the trams as I'd never seen them before and how you can just walk across the tracks. Looks like a great place to be. Are you at uni there?:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by mvwalker1
Yeah I've heard the shottingham thing and areas like St. Annes (which I think my uncle lives haha) when I told people I wanted to go to uni there but I've never actually heard of anyone being shot there?!

I went there for an open day and really liked it, I was quite amazed by the trams as I'd never seen them before and how you can just walk across the tracks. Looks like a great place to be. Are you at uni there?:smile:

no, loads of my friends are at uni here, and i live here and went to college here i attend the uni events sometimes hehe, but yeah one guy was shot a long while ago..
yeah st annes has an awful reputation but i really dont think its that bad?
honestly its an amazing city for students i really do rate it (:
Reply 18
Ohh I see :smile: well thanks anyway!x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending