The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Exit Process

Hi, I have made my mind up, after 2 months at uni and 3 hours travelling each day, and the expectation of the uni to just read presentation slides off the screen and then expect people to teach themselves by reading endless pages (which I don't have enough time for due to the amount of daily travelling), I find lost at uni, lost in lecturers and clueless in seminars and dread each day, so I have talked to my parents and reached a decision where I want to leave uni and look for some sort of an apprenticeship pref accounting/finance related.

Anyways that's the background, what I actually need some help with is whats the exit process like for the uni of Manchester because their website has no info on it so if people could answer some of the below questions then I would be grateful.

1. Who do I see (academic adviser, student services or undergraduate office for the school), to be honest I really do not want to see my adviser as I don't want to look pathetic and partly because she might try to persuade me otherwise despite my mind being made up which will make the process all the longer

2. What is the deal with the fees and loan. Will I have to pay it all back in one go, or when I start earning 21000? plus I think the fee is paid in two installments of 4500 in October then in February, so if I exit before the second semester pref before Christmas Holidays, will I only owe 4500 worth of fees? Plus I haven't really spent much of the loan so if they want it all back straight away, that's not a problem.

3. Will I have to pay the grant for this semester back? if so, straight away and all of it together or when I earn 21000?

4. Does anyone know approximately how long the exit process takes?

Thanks in advance for your help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I withdrew on Wednesday. Phoned up the week before and made an appointment with my academic advisor. She was fine, and quite understanding but thought I had to send a formal letter. I didn't though, they got it wrong. You have to go to student services then and sign a form. The woman there said they would inform student finance within a few days but I'm gonig to phone them anyway. Then I had to fill in an accomodation withdrawal form too.
I phoned student finance to see about the money and the first 25% of your tuition fee has already been paid, so that will just be paid back when you're on over £21,000. Same for any maintenance loan you have had. But any GRANT you have had, she said they will work out how much that you were entitiled to pro rata and the rest will have to be paid back before you can get another student loan, or as soon as possible.
Hope that helps. I withdrew because of my halls, and the fact there were only 6 on my course, and the course wasn't right too, but I am planning on applying for other places next year. Good luck!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by roddyframe
I withdrew on Wednesday. Phoned up the week before and made an appointment with my academic advisor. She was fine, and quite understanding but thought I had to send a formal letter. I didn't though, they got it wrong. You have to go to student services then and sign a form. The woman there said they would inform student finance within a few days but I'm gonig to phone them anyway. Then I had to fill in an accomodation withdrawal form too.
I phoned student finance to see about the money and the first 25% of your tuition fee has already been paid, so that will just be paid back when you're on over £21,000. Same for any maintenance loan you have had. But any GRANT you have had, she said they will work out how much that you were entitiled to pro rata and the rest will have to be paid back before you can get another student loan, or as soon as possible.
Hope that helps. I withdrew because of my halls, and the fact there were only 6 on my course, and the course wasn't right too, but I am planning on applying for other places next year. Good luck!

Oh thank you so much for replying so fast. Out of interest what course were you on?

So from what I gather can I just go straight to student services then? If not, If I have to see my academic adviser, should I let her know in the email or should I just ask for an appointment and tell her when I meet her?

I live at home so I don't have to deal with accommodation but thanks for the info anyways :smile:

In relation to the fees the Student finance letter they sent at the start of semester says that fees to the uni is paid in two installments of 4500 so I'm a little confused but I suppose i can clarify that with student services.

As for the grant, can you pay it off in installments or do you have to pay any outstanding grant back straight away?

Btw I do not want to return to uni any time soon if ever and never full time, tbh I don't know if its just the uni, the people, the course the amount of reading the shoddy teaching or the travelling, I think it is everything and it is too much and I can't deal with it any more.

Hope it all goes well and the course you are on next year works out for you, I don't regret trying out uni but feel a bit of disappointment that uni has not gone well for me in any respect but I know I have to get out of there ASAP because I have no motivation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I think the tuition fees have changed this year. 25% was paid in October, 50% in Jan and the other 25% in April. It said that on one of the letters I received from the Uni, and my mum has checked it out too, and whenn I phoned Student finance they agreed. Apparently it used to be the rule that you had to stay till December for student finance to pay it, otherwise the uni would come after you for the money, but that's not the case this year.

I think the academic advisor definitely needs to sign something ( they did for me) so you will still have to see them at some point. Maybe ask student services first though? and send your advisor an email telling them that is why you want to see them?
From what I've found out the grant can be paid back in instalments. I'm hoping so beacause I've got none left after paying for my accomodation. I was doing a theology and philosophy course, but my halls were awful, no way of meeting friends on my course and I wasn't enjoying the theology bit of it. I wouldn't have liked the travelling you were doing though. Good luck again x
Reply 4
Original post by exitprocess
X

X

What course was you on?
Reply 5
I think the tuition fees have changed this year. 25% was paid in October, 50% in Jan and the other 25% in April. It said that on one of the letters I received from the Uni, and my mum has checked it out too, and whenn I phoned Student finance they agreed. Apparently it used to be the rule that you had to stay till December for student finance to pay it, otherwise the uni would come after you for the money, but that's not the case this year.

I think the academic advisor definitely needs to sign something ( they did for me) so you will still have to see them at some point. Maybe ask student services first though? and send your advisor an email telling them that is why you want to see them?
From what I've found out the grant can be paid back in installments. I'm hoping so because I've got none left after paying for my accommodation. I was doing a theology and philosophy course, but my halls were awful, no way of meeting friends on my course and I wasn't enjoying the theology bit of it. I wouldn't have liked the travelling you were doing though. Good luck again x

Yeh just checked the student finance letter, it is 2250 in October and Feb then 4500 in May, which is a bit of a relief.

I think you are right I will go see student services ask them what I need to do and everything and if they tell me to see my adviser then I will email her.

Thanks again for your help and hope it works out for you next year xx
Reply 6
Original post by franzk
What course was you on?

I am on an accounting course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending