The Student Room Group

The BBC cant be trusted.....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tubby Isaacs
He's got the wrong man, it seems. I don't think anyone's yet accused him of making up that he was abused.

Unless you know different, "attention seeking idiot" is a disgraceful things to say.

You don't think that accusing someone of molesting you, and that accusation subsequently turning out to be entirely false, isn't a comment on his honesty and integrity in general? I'm fairly certain you would remember the person who molested you; if there was a certain element of doubt (as must have been the case here), perhaps he shouldn't come out and say such things?

Until someone is proven guilty of molesting him, he wasn't molested by any individual figure.
Original post by Frube
The difference being, nobody is forced to buy the mail. Where as if I want to enjoy any TV. I'm forced to fund the BBC.

The BBC should also apologise to the numerous other Tories who where subject to abuse because of them. I hope somebody sues them big time. Schofield too.

The other thread got locked. You were talking rubbish on there too. Something about "poor whites" being disadvantaged because we were paying for Tower Hamletsan (oh my sides). You put up this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12175480

The secondary schools list is topped by Tower Hamlets (£8,058 on average per pupil), followed by Hackney (£7,962) and Lambeth (£7,207). Knowsley in Merseyside receives the lowest, (with £3,790), followed by Solihull (£4,445) and Swindon (£4,563).

At primary level, the Isles of Scilly (£8,736), City of London (£7,401), and Tower Hamlets (£5,967) top the table, with South Gloucestershire (£3,328), Central Bedfordshire (£3,354) and Solihull (£3,432) at the bottom.

So poor whites in South Gloucestershire, Solihull, Central Bedforshire, Swindon?

Did you notice this as well?

A proportion of local authority funding is held back from most schools to provide services - for example support for children with special educational needs - at local authority level. But academies get access to their own share of this money, which can push their budgets up by 1% to 15%. Therefore, if a local authority has a lot of academies, it may spend more on its schools than the data suggests.

Tower Hamlets had zero academies till this year.

How about costs being much higher in Central London than elsewhere? Or more children on free school meals? Choices made by councils on what to fund?

Actually, don't bother.
Original post by MattKneale
You don't think that accusing someone of molesting you, and that accusation subsequently turning out to be entirely false, isn't a comment on his honesty and integrity in general? I'm fairly certain you would remember the person who molested you; if there was a certain element of doubt (as must have been the case here), perhaps he shouldn't come out and say such things?

Until someone is proven guilty of molesting him, he wasn't molested by any individual figure.

It might be that he's made it up cynically, but you've got nowhere near enough information to write him off like you did. He says he was shown a picture of his abuser 20 years ago by the police and told it was Lord McAlpine. I don't think it's strange he might be genuinely mixed up.

He was nowhere near reliable enough for the BBC to run the story though.
It might be that he's made it up cynically, but you've got nowhere near enough information to write him off like you did. He says he was shown a picture of his abuser 20 years ago by the police and told it was Lord McAlpine. I don't think it's strange he might be genuinely mixed up.

The Police would not have told him it was Lord McAlpine if there were any shred of doubt, which again, there must have been.
Original post by dj1015
At least the mail / express are honest in the ambitions.

The BBC has lied consistently to protect its self.

I only complain, because it does this at the public expense. Hence why it should be beyond reproach.

What? The Mail and Express don't lie? Dacre was lying even at Leveson. Have a look at here if you genuinely don't know:

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/

The BBC are deliberately in trouble for this story. Is it worse than the constant attacks on the McCann's? How about Chris Jeffreys? How quick was the apology from the media over those? Hillsborough? That took 23 years.

One of the most ridiculous sights so far was a Tory MP complaining the BBC had broken the OFCOM code. His party are saying that in spite of Leveson you can't have an equivalent of OFCOM for newspapers because it would be censorship.

You couldn't make it up.

Talk me through the "it's public, needs to be beyond reproach" argument. Even if it's better than privately owned media, it has to be privatised anyway?
(edited 11 years ago)
The Police would not have told him it was Lord McAlpine if there were any shred of doubt, which again, there must have been.

The police could have made a mistake, or he could be making a mistake in remembering what happened. Or making it up, as you say. But we don't know yet.

But the investigation doesn't seem to have been very good. The Tory Minister for Wales at the time, Rod Richards, thinks he saw evidence that Sir Peter Morrison was linked to it. That seems to have gone nowhere.
The police could have made a mistake, or he could be making a mistake in remembering what happened. Or making it up, as you say. But we don't know yet.

But the investigation doesn't seem to have been very good. The Tory Minister for Wales at the time, Rod Richards, thinks he saw evidence that Sir Peter Morrison was linked to it. That seems to have gone nowhere.

I'm just very wary at conjecture and hearsay; a formal meta-review of all cases needs to happen for any conclusions to be made from the whole fiasco. I wouldn't take anybody's word as conclusive proof of anything.
Original post by victoriajackson
I completely agree, it's horrible to think that the money everybody with a tv pays for tv licencing had been used to cover up for a peadophille ring. I think people should be able to opt out for paying for the BBC I hardly watch it anyway and don't think the money people pay should be used for such disgusting purposes.

What cover up? In the seventies and eighties? Are we going back that far with everyone else? There doesn't seem to have been a cover up, just a lot of complacency and isolated accusations made to different people.

You did notice he's accused of abuse at Stoke Mandeville, Leeds General and Broadmoor?I haven't noticed Jeremy Hunt being hauled over the coals and accused of a cover up.
I'm just very wary at conjecture and hearsay; a formal meta-review of all cases needs to happen for any conclusions to be made from the whole fiasco. I wouldn't take anybody's word as conclusive proof of anything.

Absolutely right.

I find it hard to believe that in those 20+ years since, the 'victim' hasn't ever googled a picture or watched TV footage of McAlpine to have realised the error before today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
I find it hard to believe that in those 20+ years since, the 'victim' hasn't ever Googled a picture or watched TV footage of McAlpine to have realised the error before today.

Yes, I thought that. I think it should have been clear he wasn't reliable. He also contradicted what he said at the enquiry. I can see why he might be genuinely messed up- I was just objecting to the implication he was just seeking attention.

Christopher Mayer talking drivel:

What is this Bureau of Investigative Journalism (sounds almost Soviet)? Sir David Bell, chief adviser to Leveson, a trustee. Hmm.

So Christopher Mayer, who used to chair the woeful PCC, takes a pop at Leveson. The same Christopher Mayer with a show on Sky, owned by Rupert Murdoch. Hmmm.
Yes, I thought that. I think it should have been clear he wasn't reliable. He also contradicted what he said at the enquiry. I can see why he might be genuinely messed up- I was just objecting to the implication he was just seeking attention.

Many will see the BBC now as having a pop at the Tories when they are supposed to be independent, it will further justify their label as left wing.

Christopher Mayer talking drivel:

So Christopher Mayer, who used to chair the woeful PCC, takes a pop at Leveson. The same Christopher Mayer with a show on Sky, owned by Rupert Murdoch. Hmmm.

Leveson is expected to recommend a statutory body to dictate what the press can and cannot report on.

All because the left wing are blinkered by their hatred of all things Murdoch, and refuse to get over the Sun telling its readers to vote Tory.

I wonder how it's going to work with the Huffington Post?
Original post by dj1015
At least the mail / express are honest in the ambitions.

Ah yes, Daily Express, the most reliable meteorologists in the UK, probably THE WORLD!
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357253/Hold-tight-for-roller-coaster-storms
BRITAIN faces a month-long weather “roller coaster” starting with a freezing blast from Iceland today.
Reply 33
Get over yourself mate. The BBC is no more left wing than Sky News is right wing.
Reply 34
Original post by Eboracum
Get over yourself mate. The BBC is no more left wing than Sky News is right wing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/10/bbc-newsnight-crisis-live

Jokes on you...

Its game over for the BBC.
Reply 35

A quick like for like replacement and the show roles on, what's the issue?
Original post by Redolent
Breaking News: Massive media corporation with tens of thousands of staff makes many mistakes over the period of many years

If we're getting rid of media corporations with an unfortunate knack for spouting constant bull**** we should at least have the decency to start with the Daily Mail or the Daily Express

Or Sky...or Fox...

(hell, you could justify dismantling Sky based solely on the quality of it's programming...)
Reply 37
A quick like for like replacement and the show roles on, what's the issue?

The Beeb is falling apart.

And yet it continues to receive public money. No government official has ever survived this much scandal and disgrace.

You might not believe it, but it really is the end of a very sad story for the BBC.
Reply 38
Original post by dj1015
The Beeb is falling apart.

And yet it continues to receive public money. No government official has ever survived this much scandal and disgrace.

You might not believe it, but it really is the end of a very sad story for the BBC.

Ok. What happens next? Does the BBC close down?
Reply 39
Ok. What happens next? Does the BBC close down?

Who knows.

I am guess that many staff will be cut and services massively reduced while it is decided how funds will be produced. Advertising I presume.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending