The Student Room Group

Is just under 2 pages fine for a CV

My CV is around 1 and 3/4 of a page

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old are you? If you're a student or recent graduate you really shouldn't need over a page for your CV.
Reply 2
One page is the universal standard even for experienced employees. Do yourself a favour and cut it down if you don't want to have it binned all the time.
Original post by rowzee
One page is the universal standard even for experienced employees.

There is no universal CV standard.
Reply 4
Ignore those saying 1 page is the universal standard - it really isn't - 2 is very common for graduate employers. I wouldn't have it less than two though, if it's 1 3/4 bring it up to 2.

Avoid empty space like the plague.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
There is no universal CV standard.

Ok, you're right. Maybe the OP could elaborate on what kind of jobs he is hoping to apply for? Lengthwise, however, you will find that one page is standard in most industries and for almost every experience level.

Original post by Reily
Ignore those saying 1 page is the universal standard - it really isn't - 2 is very common for graduate employers. I wouldn't have it less than two though, if it's 1 3/4 bring it up to 2.

Avoid empty space like the plague.

More than one page for recent graduates will in all likelihood make your application look bad. Also, empty space can be good - your CV needs to be readable not just a wall of text (even if formatted smartly). I do agree, however, that the text should fill up the whole page.
Original post by rowzee
Ok, you're right. Maybe the OP could elaborate on what kind of jobs he is hoping to apply for?

Definitely would be helpful.

More than one page for recent graduates will in all likelihood make your application look bad.

Not if a 2 page CV is standard in that industry. Last year a major graduate recruiter - in fact I think they are also one of the biggest companies in the world, too - ran a CV help workshop at my uni, where they were advising a 2 page CV, and I've also had success in the past with a 2 page CV when it came to a graduate job application.

My point is that it depends on the industry as there is no standard CV. So a 2 page CV might automatically be binned in some industries but in others it's fine, and even expected. And as you say, we no-one can make any recommendations to the OP until it is known what it is that they are applying for.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
Not if a 2 page CV is standard in that industry. Last year a major graduate recruiter - in fact I think they are also one of the biggest companies in the world, too - ran a CV help workshop at my uni, where they were advising a 2 page CV, and I've also had success in the past with a 2 page CV when it came to a graduate job application.

Fair enough, it's just that I've been told by nearly everyone (both related and relating to grad and part-time jobs) that it's either one page or you're out..
Reply 8
Mines 1 1/2 pages and it's got me plenty of interviews. I've always been told it should be no more than 2 pages.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
My CV is around 1 and 3/4 of a page

No, it should be one side of A4.
Reply 10
Original post by rowzee

More than one page for recent graduates will in all likelihood make your application look bad. Also, empty space can be good - your CV needs to be readable not just a wall of text (even if formatted smartly). I do agree, however, that the text should fill up the whole page.

That's what I meant, I didn't literally expect every line to be filled. I was advising avoiding long gaps at the end - it looks very unfufilled.

And entirely contrary to your experience I don't even have a one page CV, been advised by graduate recruiters and my university to have a two page CV, and have been successful in submitting that CV to graduate recruiters.
As someone who has read a lot of CVs, I would suggest that 1 page is too short and over 2 pages is too long...
Reply 12
CV is dependent upon experience. No point beefing it out too much because it won't impress. And 2 pages seems to be standard, although mine is two pages with references on the third...
I try to make mine exactly two pages - though I change it for each job I have applied for to make it a bit more relevant to that job.
Original post by barkyface
CV is dependent upon experience. No point beefing it out too much because it won't impress. And 2 pages seems to be standard, although mine is two pages with references on the third...

You do not need references on your CV if you are successful in the interview then afterwards they ask for your references thats what many people have told me apparently
Reply 15
To the people saying "one page ONLY" - I assume you have either very little work experience/employment history, or very few qualifications. If you're 18+ you should have enough of both to the point where you simply can't fit it all on one page without decreasing margins to 0.5cm and having text size set at 9pt (both look ugly and are bad practice!)

I have my current undergrad degree which I am in the process of studying for, my A-Levels and "10 GCSEs grades A - B" on mine (individual subjects are not listed), only two pieces of work experience/employment history and an 8 line personal profile and it's definitely over one page.

To have a CV under one page you either have to have hardly any qualifications/work experience/employment history, or sacrifice readability and aesthetics.

I'd genuinely be worried if I could keep my CV down to one page at age 21!
Reply 16
Original post by Deja Vu
To the people saying "one page ONLY" - I assume you have either very little work experience/employment history, or very few qualifications. If you're 18+ you should have enough of both to the point where you simply can't fit it all on one page without decreasing margins to 0.5cm and having text size set at 9pt (both look ugly and are bad practice!)

I have my current undergrad degree which I am in the process of studying for, my A-Levels and "10 GCSEs grades A - B" on mine (individual subjects are not listed), only two pieces of work experience/employment history and an 8 line personal profile and it's definitely over one page.

To have a CV under one page you either have to have hardly any qualifications/work experience/employment history, or sacrifice readability and aesthetics.

I'd genuinely be worried if I could keep my CV down to one page at age 21!

I beg to differ. You don't have to put everything you've done on a CV (if it really is that much), nobody is going to read your life story stretching over multiple pages. The key thing is thinking of what's relevant and what's not. Even so, I have quite a few qualifications, work experiences and extra-curriculars, it all fits neatly on a single A4 side together with descriptions of each role (formating is important, and yes, it is readable). 8 line personal profile? You must be joking, I would say 4 lines maximum, stressing your competencies for the job in question.

I'd be worried if at age 21 I couldn't keep my CV down to a single side of A4, more than that would just look obnoxious. As I've said, even for people with 40 years of experience one page would be standard for new roles. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and the recruitment advice has really changed drastically from a few years ago. I would, however, stick to concise, smart-looking and ''punchy'', recruiters won't spend more than 30 seconds on a CV.
There are no rules. However, the convention is two pages other than for particular industries like IB. I say this as someone who looks through CVs - usually at the very senior end (where they sometimes go onto 3/4 or even 5 pages).

Those saying one page is the expected norm are wrong. There is no expected norm except for it not to run over two pages.
(edited 11 years ago)
Whilst there are no fixed rules, 1 - 2 pages is fine. I am helping my company with grad recruitment at the moment and that is the norm. Over two pages, particularly at this stage, is probably too long.
Reply 19
A 2 page CV for recent graduates with no or little work experience is just a perfect example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending