The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If it's illegal then don't do it. Simple. Even if chances are low it won't stop you personally from getting caught.
Reply 2
Original post by Vector5
I know many students work more then 20 hours a week in the UK? so what are the chances of getting caught and deported? even if one is working for the right reasons..

Just don't do it, "right reasons" or not
Reply 3
Original post by Vector5
I know many students work more then 20 hours a week in the UK? so what are the chances of getting caught and deported? even if one is working for the right reasons..

To be honest just work the 20 hours and if you still need more money there are plenty of other opportunities to make extra money
Reply 4
Original post by Bassology
To be honest just work the 20 hours and if you still need more money there are plenty of other opportunities to make extra money
What other opportunities can i get other then working 20 hours a week in shops, bars etc.?
Reply 5
Original post by Vector5
What other opportunities can i get other then working 20 hours a week in shops, bars etc.?

Buy things cheap and sell them on ebay for profit. Do some services local to your area like animal care etc etc
Reply 6
Original post by Bassology
Buy things cheap and sell them on ebay for profit. Do some services local to your area like animal care etc etc
i thought of ebay... and doing local services like u said...does the amount of time it takes counts towards the 20 hours a week work permission.
Reply 7
The Home Office is hot on this at the moment. Tesco recently received a pretty hefty fine for allowing students to work over 20 hours. Any employer worth their salt isn't going to allow you to work over your 20 hours. If you decided to get a 2nd job and do 2x20 hours, then that's your perogative, but I reckon you're asking for trouble and will more than likely get deported for it.
Reply 8
Original post by NathanM
The Home Office is hot on this at the moment. Tesco recently received a pretty hefty fine for allowing students to work over 20 hours. Any employer worth their salt isn't going to allow you to work over your 20 hours. If you decided to get a 2nd job and do 2x20 hours, then that's your perogative, but I reckon you're asking for trouble and will more than likely get deported for it.
well hopefully im not gonna work more then 20 hours and i am not planning to get deported and get banned for a few years..but who knows when u may need some extra money.
Reply 9
You are also prevented from being self employed and therefore the e-bay thing would be very iffy!
Doesn't matter if it's the right reasons, it is illegal. If you get caught you will be deported and not able to get another visa for the UK if that happens.
Original post by Vector5

I know international students who do things like private tuition or work in a tuition centre where it's cash in hand.
It's the safest option - and you are unlikely to get caught.
I totally feel for international students so I do understand the desperation of needing the money.
Original post by thenextchemist
I know international students who do things like private tuition or work in a tuition centre where it's cash in hand.
It's the safest option - and you are unlikely to get caught.
I totally feel for international students so I do understand the desperation of needing the money.

My gf and I are going through a tough situation and our uni even said it would not be a problem if she was a home student. So frustrating.
I do 20hour on cash and 20hour legally
Is there any jobs suitable for girls. Hand cash jobs?
Is working on weekends part of the 20hrs a week

Latest

Trending

Trending