The Student Room Group

What would happen if someone didn't declare points to their insurance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Emma:-)
Im sure if you looked on the internet, i bet there would be plenty of information on there about it.

I wasn't being lazy, I just find it confusing sometimes, I thought I'd give it a shot on here, sorry
Original post by Emma:-)
If you phoned then up to tell them about the points, they would still insure you for the remainder of the policy. Theres a chance they might put the price up a bit though. Come renewal time, they legally have to give you a renewal quote. What they can do however if they dont really want to insure you (due to points etc) is give you a really high quote that you wont pay which will make you go elsewhere for your insurance.

They don't have to give you a quote. Direct line refused to insure me at the end of my policy after I had a very minor accident (small dent in another car, I contested fault but I think due to my low experience (was driving < 1 year at the time) they settled with me at fault - but claim only cost about £100) - it seems that under a certain age they don't insure anyone who has had a fault accident, regardless of actual cost.

Original post by kookabura
If you get points then you have to inform your insurance company once you have the points - not telling them until you renew your policy could well still invalidate your insurance - it comes under the bit where you agree to tell them of any changes in circumstances. So whether it is points/modifications to your car etc, if you don't notify them and then try to claim on your insurance you risk them invalidating it meaning your insurance is totally worthless.

Equally, when you renew your policy/get quotes from anywhere else you need to tell them, yes it will make it more expensive - but still a damn sight cheaper than being found having no valid insurance would be! Insurance companies will increase your premium - the amount will vary depending on what the points are for, how old you are, how long you have been driving. But it can be a substantial amount, or can be fairly small, depending on those factors. Points are valid in terms of adding up to disqualification etc for 3 years, but they appear on your licence for 5 years and most insurance companies will ask if you have any points within 5 years.

If you get the option of a speed awareness course then you don't have points on your licence and therefore the insurance company won't increase your premium. I've been on one of these courses recently and was told whilst there that we should have informed our insurance company that we have a NIP for speeding, which was pending, as until we have successfully been on/taken part in the course the insurance company should be informed, so again, could try and invalidate insurance. In reality, since none of the paperwork I had been sent said this on it, I would argue that it wasn't explained that we needed to do this - whether than would have worked if there had been a problem, I don't know!

Why would you need to notify the insurance company of a NIP - an NIP by nature isn't bound to a driver, but the car. Once they have sent the letter offering a speed awareness course, if you accept it then the case is closed.

Lying to your insurance, at worst, can result in a Driving Without Insurance (6points, a fine, and a *big* increase if any future insurance you get for 4 years), and you needing to foot any costs relating to an accident you might have (at which point, they find out from the DVLA about the points).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
Why would you need to notify the insurance company of a NIP - an NIP by nature isn't bound to a driver, but the car. Once they have sent the letter offering a speed awareness course, if you accept it then the case is closed.

Just seen this reply to my post - so sorry for the dragging up of it!

I know what you are saying, and that is my understanding. But that is what I was told by the person running the course. That although we have been offered/accepted the offer of the course, until it is actually completed we have the points sort of 'pending'. If you don't turn up/don't book in time/don't participate etc then you would default to points and fine.

Doesnt make sense to me either...but there you go!
Original post by kookabura
Just seen this reply to my post - so sorry for the dragging up of it!

I know what you are saying, and that is my understanding. But that is what I was told by the person running the course. That although we have been offered/accepted the offer of the course, until it is actually completed we have the points sort of 'pending'. If you don't turn up/don't book in time/don't participate etc then you would default to points and fine.

Doesnt make sense to me either...but there you go!

Hmm, I wouldn't worry too much - I think it would be hard for your insurance to be cancelled or the likes on the basis of something like that.
Original post by Short Shortz
I went onto my insurance website and filled out a new quote, I added I have 3 points, it was unable to quote me due to traffic violations, if I rung them up do you think they'd insure me over the phone after explaining it to them?
I'm still insured now but if I do get points and have to inform them, I'm just curious , if it turns out they will refuse to provide me with further insurance then I will keep it quiet

Just a side note - since you've filled out an insurance form for a quote with all your details plus the driving offense, if you don't mention it now you'll likely be questioned about it as they have it on file that you've inquired with that in mind. My mum was shopping around looking for a new insurance policy for me and for some reason filled in that I had a conviction for dangerous driving (I completed a course for driving without due care and attention so I have no points or convictions), paid for a new policy then a week later I got a phone call saying they were cancelling my policy as they had evidence that I was potentially hiding a conviction. Thankfully a quick conference call with the DVLA sorted that out, but it wouldn't help you if you were convicted.

Also if you were doing 7-13mph over the limit I would say it's highly unlikely you'll be offered a course instead of points, depending on what the speed limit was.
Reply 25
Original post by getinthevan
Just a side note - since you've filled out an insurance form for a quote with all your details plus the driving offense, if you don't mention it now you'll likely be questioned about it as they have it on file that you've inquired with that in mind. My mum was shopping around looking for a new insurance policy for me and for some reason filled in that I had a conviction for dangerous driving (I completed a course for driving without due care and attention so I have no points or convictions), paid for a new policy then a week later I got a phone call saying they were cancelling my policy as they had evidence that I was potentially hiding a conviction. Thankfully a quick conference call with the DVLA sorted that out, but it wouldn't help you if you were convicted.

Also if you were doing 7-13mph over the limit I would say it's highly unlikely you'll be offered a course instead of points, depending on what the speed limit was.

I filled out a new quote but under a made up name so they wouldn't know it was me, also it has been 13 days and still haven't heard anything back so fingers crossed
I had an accident 2 weeks ago where someone was speeding and hit the front side of me and writ my car off then 6 days later that person turned up at my house asking if we could deal with things privately as she has speeding points on her licence that she has not notified her insurers about where does his leave me
Is this her claiming liability??
I've never been in accident before in my whole 10years of driving
Original post by Shelly228
I had an accident 2 weeks ago where someone was speeding and hit the front side of me and writ my car off then 6 days later that person turned up at my house asking if we could deal with things privately as she has speeding points on her licence that she has not notified her insurers about where does his leave me
Is this her claiming liability??
I've never been in accident before in my whole 10years of driving

If she'll give you the rough market value of your car (as an insurer usually would in a write off claim) then you're laughing - fix the car or sell it as spares and repairs, and you've still got the money...

If you are involved in a not at fault claim (I.e your car gets hit through no fault of your own), your insurance will rise anyway.

If she's happy to settle it privately and to your satisfaction, you're into a bit of a winner...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending