The Student Room Group

Books with sad endings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joy_to_the_world
I know it sounds weird but i'm into books with sad endings...in my opinion, they're more realistic. I love books by Melvin Burgess (JUNK, Sara's face), Tabitha Suzuma (forbidden, a voice in the darkness ), Malorie Blackman( noughts and crosses), Jodi Piccolt (the pact), Ellen Hopkins(crank), Cat Clarke (entangled), Gabrielle Zevin (elsewhere)

What are you guys fav sad books?

I m a book worm but I hate hate hate sad endings...... Imagine u read a really long fat book and at the end u realize that the main character dies or something ....I just hate it cuz u just wasted ur 4 hours and get to know that the ending is really sad!!!:frown:
It comes at the end of a series, but Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz. I cried for an hour.

My problem with sad endings is that they leave me dissatisfied, like the story hasn't ended properly unless everything works out. (Oblivion didn't leave me like that, the ending was so well crafted! But then, I am a huge fan of all of his works...)
Original post by LostInPanda
It comes at the end of a series, but Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz. I cried for an hour.

My problem with sad endings is that they leave me dissatisfied, like the story hasn't ended properly unless everything works out. (Oblivion didn't leave me like that, the ending was so well crafted! But then, I am a huge fan of all of his works...)

Look that's exactly what I mean ...I have the same feeling!!!!:frown: like the story is not complete!!!
Original post by shahida sulaiman
Look that's exactly what I mean ...I have the same feeling!!!!:frown: like the story is not complete!!!

Real life doesn't end happily, so I feel like stories should... they provide the escapism from the sadness of real life, shouldn't they end happily by default?
I guess it makes them more realistic... and sometimes it's nice to read something a bit different, but, yeah, it just doesn't sit right with me.
Original post by LostInPanda
Real life doesn't end happily, so I feel like stories should... they provide the escapism from the sadness of real life, shouldn't they end happily by default?
I guess it makes them more realistic... and sometimes it's nice to read something a bit different, but, yeah, it just doesn't sit right with me.

No I know there is a lot of realism but afterwards like ur normal life is affected by it!!! Like u think why did he or she died !!!whyyy..... Whyyyy....whyyyyyy...:frown:
@gameofno I cried so much too at all the bright places such an amazing book and also love letters to the dead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georginarowley
I had to analyse Of Mice and Men until it screamed for mercy in my GCSE literature exam; I lost all ability to be emotionally affected by it! (I can appreciate Steinbeck and the emotional impact he created with it though :smile:)

haha I had to analyse it for both my GCSE language and literature exams; I disliked all the analysis at the time but learned to appreciate it later on :biggrin:
1. The Great Gatsby;
2. The Yellow Wallpaper;
3. Dracula;
4. Frankenstein;
5. In my opinion, Maurice by E.M. Forster.
Necroscope
Me before You- Jojo Moyes

Under the Hawthorn Tree- Ai Mi
No ones said the obvious one- 1984

Posted from TSR Mobile
One Day
Me before You by Jojo Moyes but am I the only one who didn't cry at all? :wtf:
Reply 93
Thirteen Reasons Why (it's soo good thou)
Ruth - Elizabeth Gaskell
The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
Bloodline - Mark Billingham
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Original post by Smushy
Atonement by Ian McEwan! :frown: It's so heartbreakingly beautiful :biggrin: ALthough the ending was very sad, the beauty of it made me happy! :biggrin:

I second this!
it's a hard book to find but i have a copy and that's 'how to sell' by clancy martin
it has a rather sad, bittersweet but inspiring ending compared to how it starts
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell kinda made me cry because I became really invested with the characters
Of Mice And Men
Dracula
Wuthering Heights
Yellow Wallpaper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending