The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out of a good course at uni

I am currently studying Dentistry but I want to drop out - not because of the course itself but everything else.

I don't fit in at all with any of my coursemates and I'll be spending the rest of my time (5 years!) with them. I had spoken to a lot of people and they're nice but in their cliqe, and KNOW I don't fit in with them - it's just like a repeat in my history. Even if I was in a clique I know I won't fit. I'm not being negative just painfully truthful.

I don't want to force myself to stay and be miserable for a considerable period of my life. I know I should look at the bigger picture i.e. getting through this degree (which is so difficult to get) and being able to have a really good career.

I haven't met anyone who I get along with outside of my course either, and the ones I do are not students - or people in older years that will be gone soon!

I'm seriously considering quitting the course because I feel so low and depressed, I feel if I stay I'll just drift in and out of life. Ever since coming to uni, I've been apathetic, depressed and generally bitter.

I want to transfer to another school - fresh start (and plus I have friends there who I am close to for support), and would be willing to re-start year 1 if need be. But how do I go about changing? It was so difficult getting in in the first place!

Thanks for advice!
Reply 1
Cant you just change university to a place CLOSER to home than be 'independent' and 'aspirational' and fling yourself out at a uni somewhere in the sticks. Maybe you might have a clique you could meld into much easier.
I would - but with Dentistry you can't just transfer. You have to re-start...but if I apply through UCAS and have to re-interview I might loose my current place at uni doing Dentistry (say if I don't get in)! So it's risky...

I'm having such a bad time - I just want to DROP DENTISTRY and do something completely different - even though it's not actually the course that I hate. My negative experiences of uni has skewed my perspective on my course.
You will working till you are 60+ Don't let this rough patch get to you; do you really care about being friends with the people on your course?

If you want to be a dentist, stick it out, if you don't, drop out. Simples.
^^ i disagree with this guy (no offence). If you're not happy, change, this is an important part of your life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending