The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Thanks for your response! The email I got said to keep a calculator handy so I think there will be some math questions.

If you don't mind me asking, what was one (or more) of the questions you were interested in exploring after your interdisciplinary training?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by VishnuB
Thanks for your response! The email I got said to keep a calculator handy so I think there will be some math questions.

If you don't mind me asking, what was one (or more) of the questions you were interested in exploring after your interdisciplinary training?

Oh I'm actually an applicant for 2015 entry (still waiting on a reply), so I wouldn't say I have interdisciplinary training :wink: PM me if you want to know more details though! :smile:
Do you get a first or 2.1 or whatever for the whole course or do you get a different grade for your major and your minor?
Original post by sophieandmillie
Do you get a first or 2.1 or whatever for the whole course or do you get a different grade for your major and your minor?

You get a grade for your whole degree- eg Arts and Sciences BASc 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 524
Original post by weepingfox
Just wondering, have you received a reply?

Hi!! Yes - but it was rejection, sadly.

I received an email from an admissions officer stating that although my application to ucl was "very strong", unfortunately the course is oversubscribed and as a result they have to reject many good applicants. So my application was rejected D: they did suggest I transfer my application to another degree (History and Philosophy of Science) from the Science and Tech Studies school because the degree is pretty interdisplinary too, but with a larger focus on science that the BASc.

Unfortunately I am arts/humanities inclined, so I said didn't want to transfer. I am appealing, just so that I know I fought for it. I highly doubt it'll be successful but fingers crossed nonetheless.

Officially on UCAS I have not received a reply tho!

All the best for yours :biggrin:
Original post by gygy
Hi!! Yes - but it was rejection, sadly.

I received an email from an admissions officer stating that although my application to ucl was "very strong", unfortunately the course is oversubscribed and as a result they have to reject many good applicants. So my application was rejected D: they did suggest I transfer my application to another degree (History and Philosophy of Science) from the Science and Tech Studies school because the degree is pretty interdisplinary too, but with a larger focus on science that the BASc.

Unfortunately I am arts/humanities inclined, so I said didn't want to transfer. I am appealing, just so that I know I fought for it. I highly doubt it'll be successful but fingers crossed nonetheless.

Officially on UCAS I have not received a reply tho!

All the best for yours :biggrin:

I received the exact same offer and I said I was interested.

The entry requirements for the Science and Tech courses were AAB-ABB while the Arts and Sciences were AAA*-AAA.

I feel like the one we got offered is some thrown together course, it doesn't seem to stand with the others... I could be wrong, but it just doesn't feel right.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by clawrine
I received the exact same offer and I said I was interested.

The entry requirements for the Science and Tech courses were AAB-ABB while the Arts and Sciences were AAA*-AAA.

I feel like the one we got offered is some thrown together course, it doesn't seem to stand with the others... I could be wrong, but it just doesn't feel right.

Same here.. I accepted because it's UCL, but know I feel like I shouldn't put it as my firm choice! And I 'm also a humanities students and hope that they will enter in adjustment although they said me it's highly unlikely that they will.. Probably going to try for History Politics and Economics as it's a new course ;p :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 527
Conditionally accepted to BASc Sciences and Engineering! Does anyone know how easy/straightforward it is to switch to a Cultures or Societies major if I am so inclined? Would I be better off expressing this preference now or after I firm UCL (if I am to)?
Original post by VishnuB
Conditionally accepted to BASc Sciences and Engineering! Does anyone know how easy/straightforward it is to switch to a Cultures or Societies major if I am so inclined? Would I be better off expressing this preference now or after I firm UCL (if I am to)?

Hey congrats! I also just got my unconditional for Cultures, but am probably switching to Societies if I decide to firm BASc! I think you should email them now, because the conditions for the 'arts' pathways are different from the ones for the science pathways.
Anyone knows about the quality of the econ classes in BASc? I realize they are not taught by the Econ department at UCL, but by SSEES, which I've heard is middling at best. I also hold an offer for BA Philo and Econ, so I'm not sure which to pick.
Anyone knows about the quality of the econ classes in BASc? I realize they are not taught by the Econ department at UCL, but by SSEES, which I've heard is middling at best. I also hold an offer for BA Philo and Econ, so I'm not sure which to pick.

You can study economics with the economics department as part of science and engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by indigoheart
You can study economics with the economics department as part of science and engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm aware but I'm not qualified for the Science / Engineering given my A Level subjects -- any other thoughts?

Hi, I'm not a current student so my advice probably isn't worth taking at all but I went to the open day and they mentioned economics modules and the students weren't overly positive about them so :s-smilie:
Hi, I'm not a current student so my advice probably isn't worth taking at all but I went to the open day and they mentioned economics modules and the students weren't overly positive about them so :s-smilie:

Was this the Economics offered on the Societies or Science pathway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 534
What? So basically, the Economics from Societies is a 'lower' level than the one from Science and Engineering ?? (compared to a normal Economics course at UCL)

Also, if ,hypothetically, after choosing core and major modules, it turns out that you have many modules in your first term and very few in the second one, so you have a lighter term - is it possible to take more modules from you minor ( depending on prerequisites, of course) ?
Original post by teahmih
What? So basically, the Economics from Societies is a 'lower' level than the one from Science and Engineering ?? (compared to a normal Economics course at UCL)

Also, if ,hypothetically, after choosing core and major modules, it turns out that you have many modules in your first term and very few in the second one, so you have a lighter term - is it possible to take more modules from you minor ( depending on prerequisites, of course) ?

Not a lower level, but Sci and engineering economics you need an A in maths a level and in sees maths is reccomenced but not essential, so it depends whether you think more mathsy economics is a higher level.
No you can only take one module in your minor in year 1, no matter what terms they are in - if you have a light term 2 you could audit (attend classes of) another minor module but not officially take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anchorheart
Was this the Economics offered on the Societies or Science pathway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the engineering pathway but I'm not 100% sure
I think the engineering pathway but I'm not 100% sure

Thank you! I'm thinking of taking the Economics offered on the Societies pathway so I'm hoping the modules are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anchorheart
Thank you! I'm thinking of taking the Economics offered on the Societies pathway so I'm hoping the modules are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! Have you applied for this year?
No problem! Have you applied for this year?

I have yes and it's definitely my first choice :smile: Did you apply to start this September too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending