The Student Room Group

essay structure

the question ive been set is 'do artworks of the19th century present a positive or negative image of industrial society in Britain'
The basic answer is 'both' ie. some works are positive some works are negative. However I dont know how would be best to structure this answer. would it be best to show in one half of the essay examples of positive portrayal and in the other examples of negative. or would it be better to organise the essay thematically ie. should i look at the theme of 'work' and show a picture which is positive, and then after it a picture which is negative and then move to the next theme. im stuck any help most welcome cheers
Reply 1
I would do like this:

Write down 'pros' and 'cons' using key words/sentences, then structure your essay by writing a paragraph about each 'pro' and 'con' with constanst reference to various artworks to back up your arguements. Simple, you can't go wrong.

Meh, you wouldn't believe how bored I am at work today.
Reply 2
hhhmmn its just that the essay is about the artworks themselves so i should work from them really rather than as a back up dont you think. also what i really want to know is if i should bunch all the 'pro's' and 'cons' (as you called them) or positive and negative portrayals (as i shall call them) together, eg all pros in first then all cons second or go crazy and mix them all up in a thematic order. ARG im never going to be able to start this essay damn me for leaving it sooo late :mad:
Reply 3
So do it. Use one artwork to represent one good or bad thing about the industrial society, and analyze it thoroughly. Easy. And don't worry about having all the pros first followed by the concs or vice versa, there is nothing wrong with stucturing a history essay like that. At least from my experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending