The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University?

Hello people!

Basically, I have got four of my others so far. Two of these being from Lancaster and Sussex. Lancaster ranked in the top 10 by both the Guardian and the Times, Whereas Sussex is roughly about 27th.

I really like the look of Sussex and Brighton, Lancaster also looks good.

The only thing which worries me about Lancaster is how much nightlife and things to do are there. I have heard its a very small place and has about 6 clubs.

Anyone who goes to Lancaster care to share their experiences?
Reply 1
Lancaster is our arch rival. But I've heard it's a very good university.

I think on the issue of league tables, they shouldn't be taken as gospel, instead used as a sort of rough guideline. For example Lancaster and Exeter are above Manchester and Birmingham, but I think if you asked lectures around the world, sought opinion etc most people would go for the latter two. So don't read too much into it, just pick the ones that suit you.

It could be argued that Lancaster is significantly better than Brighton. Have you thought about the Sheffield's, the Leeds's, the Nottingham's of this world?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Eboracum
Lancaster is our arch rival. But I've heard it's a very good university.

I think on the issue of league tables, they shouldn't be taken as gospel, instead used as a sort of rough guideline. For example Lancaster and Exeter are above Manchester and Birmingham, but I think if you asked lectures around the world, sought opinion etc most people would go for the latter two. So don't read too much into it, just pick the ones that suit you.

It could be argued that Lancaster is significantly better than Brighton. Have you thought about the Sheffield's, the Leeds's, the Nottingham's of this world?

I have got an offer from Sheffield but unfortunately the course I want to do is Law with Politics and they only offer Law.

I'm just worried about going to a place where the nightlife is a bit dull.
I live in Lancaster, it's not the biggest city, but it has everything you need, plenty of high street shops and supermarkets ect. Lancaster University recently built a new sports hall so there're plenty of activites to do, and I always see students walking around in town, we have a few nightclubs too, not a lot, but they seem to be popular. I imagine the only real problem is the fact its about a 10 mins bus ride away from the city centre, but the university has buses driving through the heart of it all the time, I think. I've been to Lancaster University too for work experience, it seems to have plenty of shops and stuff, it's almost like a town of its own.
Yeah , that does sound good for it's size. So what uni do you go which is Lancaster's arch rival? haha. Thanks for the advice!
So you study Law? Basically, is it interesting and how hard is it? haha.

I enjoy criminal law, as I'm studying it at A2 but what are things like European law, tort law like?
Yeah I would assume there is a lot of reading.

How are the lecturers, are they helpful?

What are you planning to do afterwards LPC or the Bar Course?
Reply 7
You like the look of Sussex :K: Did we look at the same Uni? Sussex looked terrible when I visited it. Lancaster is much better :smile:
Original post by PlopNofear
You like the look of Sussex :K: Did we look at the same Uni? Sussex looked terrible when I visited it. Lancaster is much better :smile:

I have never actually been down there! Haha. I had only looked at pictures and reviews. What did you see what was terrible?
Reply 9
Original post by MonsterMorris
I have never actually been down there! Haha. I had only looked at pictures and reviews. What did you see what was terrible?

It just looked really horrible and run down. Bearing in mind this was 3 years ago so there may be newer buildings but still. the campus is nowhere near as nice as Lancaster's.

Quick Reply

Latest