The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels & Sixth Form

Hi everyone,

For my A-Levels I'd like to take:
-English Literature
-History
-Maths (???)
-Pyschology (???)

I'm certain that I'd like to take English Lit & History at an A-Level standard but I'm less sure about Maths and Pyschology. I'd like to study law at university but I'd also like to keep my options open by doing two other A-Levels which would allow me to access other area's at a degree level if necessary.

Plus I'm not choosing to take Maths of my own accord my parents are pressuring me into taking it and if neccessary dropping English Lit or History in my second year (which I really don't want to do):frown:

Moving on to sixth forms I can't decide whether to stay at my current comprehnesive school's sixth form or leave and go to a grammer sixth form.:confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated and are welcome:smile:
Reply 1
Don't take Maths just because you're being pressured into it; if you don't enjoy it, you won't have any motivation and chances are you'll end up with a terrible grade.
Reply 2
Original post by AbathaZoe
Don't take Maths just because you're being pressured into it; if you don't enjoy it, you won't have any motivation and chances are you'll end up with a terrible grade.

Thanks for the answer. I've decided to do Maths because although I don't enjoy it as a whole, there are some aspects I do. If I really end up hating Maths I'll drop it after the first year
Reply 3
Maths can be useful in whatever career you decide to go into, so i think its good that youve started off with taking maths. but if you seriously begin to dislike it, my advice would be to drop it as soon as possible. you dont want to do a lot of maths work and consequently lower the grades you are getting in other subjects
Reply 4
English Lit, History and Maths are all traditional, rigorous (to an extent) A-levels that Universities love.
Psychology however, is not. It is deemed a 'soft' subject in most higher educational establishments.

I would recommend you continue with English Lit, History and Maths, but also consider taking Biology? How are you with the sciences?
What about A-level Law even?

It seems you know what the perfect A-levels are for a career in Law though :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jay-Dee

Psychology however, is not. It is deemed a 'soft' subject in most higher educational establishments.

So if I didn't want to pick a science would a foreign language like French be better or government and politics?
Reply 6
Languages are considered a lot better, but obviously they are a lot harder! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest