The Student Room Group

Don't have a clue what to do!

Hi, this is probably quite a generalised question but I don't know what to do at university and I really want to decide, how do I go about it?

I'm currently in year 12 and studying AS Law, Psychology, Biology and English Language and working at A/B grade in all. I've never really had a passion for what career path I would like in life, but I've always known that I really really want to go to university, so simply saying 'don't go' isn't going to solve this problem.

The trouble is that I don't have a clue what I should do there, and I don't even have a general area I want to work within to start me off! At one point I wanted to be a journalist, then something to do with psychology, then a nurse, then a lawyer and then something to do with sports psychology or psyiotheraphy, so quite random! Without sounding too big headed, I want to do something that will challenge my academic ability as I've always been bright, got good GCSE results, and am working well at college, but something like being a doctor doesn't appeal to me simply because I'm not quite clever enough to get there and I want to enjoy Uni, not struggle through it.

I'm at the point where I want to start looking at different Uni's and looking into the future but it's quite hard when I don't actually know what kind of course to do, so if anyone has any advice that would be great! Thank you :smile:
You're subjects are a bit random and not really focused towards anything. You must have some sort of an idea of what industry you want to be working at in the future.
Have a good detailed look at UCL's BASc in Arts & Sciences:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubbascsing05

It's not just a mix of subjects, because half the course is taught solely to the BASc students. If I were looking for an undergraduate degree I would definitely be going for this!
Reply 3
What are your predicted grades ? It will have a direct impact of which uni. & what course. Have you ever thought about doing English at Uni., it's compatable if you want to be jounalist, lawyer or accountant.
Reply 4
Original post by poony
What are your predicted grades ? It will have a direct impact of which uni. & what course. Have you ever thought about doing English at Uni., it's compatable if you want to be jounalist, lawyer or accountant.

My predicted grades are 3 A's and a B (biology) Yeah I've thought about English and I suppose it'd be good, but again it's one of those things that I'm not over passionate about so it's hard to make a decision.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Have a good detailed look at UCL's BASc in Arts & Sciences:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubbascsing05

It's not just a mix of subjects, because half the course is taught solely to the BASc students. If I were looking for an undergraduate degree I would definitely be going for this!

Thanks, will have a look! :smile:
You know, there are some courses where you can effectively make your own course! I'm applying this year as I'm a year ahead of you. In the past, I've wanted to be a forensic scientist and a lawyer. I've recently become interested in biology and anthropology though I don't want to stop studying maths. I've found courses where I can piece together subjects I'm interested in to get the most out of University :smile:
I've applied for: maths and anthopology - exeter (FCH), maths and law - liverpool (combined honours), arts and sciences - UCL, human sciences - oxford, natural sciences (where I can also study law) - lancaster. Maybe this helps. If you want any more help just message me because I know a lot on interdisciplinary courses :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending