The Student Room Group

My first MOT test is on Friday, unsure of the procedure

Hi Friends

This Friday will be the first time I have ever booked in a car for an MOT test so I'm not really sure of the procedure. please help with the following....

. I booked my MOT online, instead of giving me an exact time it just stated I must arrive no later than 10:30 am, does this mean I can just arrive in my car anytime between 9 am to 10:30 am?

. If my car fails on something, lets say it needs new brake discs, if I went away and got the discs replaced and then went back for the free re -test within 10 days, would it then pass or could they then give me a fail for something else?

. Do all MOT's come with a free re -test, even if booked online?

And please if you know of anything else I should be aware of regarding the MOT, please also include that, thank's Ppl
Reply 1
Take your car to the MOT centre any time before 1030. When they're done they'll ring you and tell you if it passed or failed. If it fails and is repaired at the garage conducting the MOT then they will do a partial re-test only on the failure points and there is no charge for the partial re-test. If you take it away and take it back within 10 days they will re-test only the failure points, but they can charge up to half the cost of an MOT. Whether you buy online or in person makes no difference.
Reply 2
Original post by CurlyBen
Take your car to the MOT centre any time before 1030. When they're done they'll ring you and tell you if it passed or failed. If it fails and is repaired at the garage conducting the MOT then they will do a partial re-test only on the failure points and there is no charge for the partial re-test. If you take it away and take it back within 10 days they will re-test only the failure points, but they can charge up to half the cost of an MOT. Whether you buy online or in person makes no difference.

So if it fails an MOT due to the brakes and I take the car AWAY and get a friend to fix them and then take it back for a re test within 10 days then they will ONLY retest the failure points?

I don't want to pay to replace the brake discs and then another more expensive problem arises on the re test and I then have to scrap my car after having the brakes sorted out.

I didn't know they may charge again for MOT if you take the car away?
Original post by Short Shortz
Hi Friends

This Friday will be the first time I have ever booked in a car for an MOT test so I'm not really sure of the procedure. please help with the following....

. I booked my MOT online, instead of giving me an exact time it just stated I must arrive no later than 10:30 am, does this mean I can just arrive in my car anytime between 9 am to 10:30 am?

. If my car fails on something, lets say it needs new brake discs, if I went away and got the discs replaced and then went back for the free re -test within 10 days, would it then pass or could they then give me a fail for something else?

. Do all MOT's come with a free re -test, even if booked online?

And please if you know of anything else I should be aware of regarding the MOT, please also include that, thank's Ppl

You need to get the car to the test centre before 10:30. Dropping it off earlier should not be a problem, but you can always check with the test centre to confirm. If your car does not have a valid MOT or tax currently, you are better off driving the car to the test centre near the time you were told to book it off (you can drive the car to a test centre for a pre-booked appointment without tax or MOT, but the police might think you are going somewhere first / etc, if you are driving around at 8am).

To have your car get a free partial retest, it either needs to be left at the test centre and retested within 10 working days, or taken away from the test centre, and retested by the end of the next working day (this only applies for certain failure items). If you take the vehicle away, and return it within 10 working days for a retest, a partial retest is carried out and a partial re-test fee will be charged (up to half of the VOSA MOT fee).

In the case of a partial re-test, then only items that failed are retested (items which were given advisories can be retested upon request should you have also fixed them).

This rules apply regardless of how you book your test. If you do not have the car retested within 10 working days, then you will need to have a full retest, for which a full test fee will be charged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rmhumphries
You need to get the car to the test centre before 10:30. Dropping it off earlier should not be a problem, but you can always check with the test centre to confirm. If your car does not have a valid MOT or tax currently, you are better off driving the car to the test centre near the time you were told to book it off (you can drive the car to a test centre for a pre-booked appointment without tax or MOT, but the police might think you are going somewhere first / etc, if you are driving around at 8am).

To have your car get a free partial retest, it either needs to be left at the test centre and retested within 10 working days, or taken away from the test centre, and retested by the end of the next working day (this only applies for certain failure items). If you take the vehicle away, and return it within 10 working days for a retest, a partial retest is carried out and a partial re-test fee will be charged (up to half of the VOSA MOT fee).

In the case of a partial re-test, then only items that failed are retested (items which were given advisories can be retested upon request should you have also fixed them).

This rules apply regardless of how you book your test. If you do not have the car retested within 10 working days, then you will need to have a full retest, for which a full test fee will be charged.

Okay thank you

If I poured some oil fortifier ( reduces emissions + smoke) into the engine and the burning oil fault goes undetected, the car passes on the emissions test but fails on the brakes, if I drive the car away for a friend to replace the discs and return within 10 days for the free retest, will the brakes just get re tested and if found appropriate does that mean I'll have a pass or would they check on the emissions again?
Original post by Short Shortz
Okay thank you

If I poured some oil fortifier ( reduces emissions + smoke) into the engine and the burning oil fault goes undetected, the car passes on the emissions test but fails on the brakes, if I drive the car away for a friend to replace the discs and return within 10 days for the free retest, will the brakes just get re tested and if found appropriate does that mean I'll have a pass or would they check on the emissions again?

They shouldn't need to check emissions again.
Reply 6
Original post by rmhumphries
They shouldn't need to check emissions again.

I'd be upset if it were to pass on the emissions test the first time and I spent a fortune on fixing breaks and take it back again only for it to fail on emissions and I end up scrapping it,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending