The Student Room Group

Just finished my maths P1 mock

Wohoo. Piece of cake! Everyone said it was pretty hard except a few, the hardest questions were:

2sin x tan x = 3
find all values of x within the range 0 < x < 360

and one part which required to prove that

3&#8730;x + 12/&#8730;x = 9&#8730;2
when x = 8

pretty tricky for P1, but I got it after some manipulation. :biggrin:

ahh, the relief!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you do both of them?
Reply 2
3&#8730;x + 12/&#8730;x = 9&#8730;2

3&#8730;8 = 6*0.5*&#8730;8 = 6*&#8730;0.25&#8730;8 = 6&#8730;2

12/&#8730;8 = 3(4/&#8730;8) = 3(4&#8730;8/8) = 3(2^2*8^(3/2)/2^3) = 3(2^*7/2)/2^3) = 3&#8730;2

6&#8730;2 + 3&#8730;2 = 9&#8730;2
Reply 3
2 sin x tan x = 3
2 sin x (sin x /cos x) = 3
2 sin^2 x = 3 cos x
2(1- cos^2 x) = 3 cos x
2 cos^2 x + 3 cos x - 2 = 0
(2 cos x - 1)(cos x + 2) = 0

cos x = 1/2

x = 60, 300
Reply 4
P1...mock...
Reply 5
oh the joy....not got p1 mock (dont laugh) for a while but done a couple of past papers and....if i dont get 100% will be pretty miffed.
Reply 6
My problem is once ive finished I really have to force myself to check back cos once im done my brain thinks ok now lets go home and watch tv. but I still have 30 mins left so I have to check, argh so boring I hate the mental repetition and I cant stand it :frown:
Reply 7
mik1a
My problem is once ive finished I really have to force myself to check back cos once im done my brain thinks ok now lets go home and watch tv. but I still have 30 mins left so I have to check, argh so boring I hate the mental repetition and I cant stand it :frown:

i know tne feeling...u have to force urself to look back and check answers
Reply 8
I got a U in my first P1 mock, I got 83% in the actual exam though. Mocks mean absolutely nothing.
Reply 9
imasillynarb
I got a U in my first P1 mock, I got 83% in the actual exam though. Mocks mean absolutely nothing.

how did u get a u...did u do it deliberately?
imasillynarb

when i first started a/s maths i was crap,i thought i never will get through this.And now maths is my strongest topic and i want to do it at uni!,just work hard and never give up and u will suceed...............indeed
Reply 11
lgs98jonee
how did u get a u...did u do it deliberately?

No, when I first started maths I was just...rubbish, Id scraped a C at GCSE and begged to be let on the course, my teacher let me do it and everyone thought I shouldnt of been allowed to do it, I was just really determined to prove everyone wrong. Now Im by far the best in the class - determination, hardwork, and I guess a little bit of talent is all you need.
imasillynarb
No, when I first started maths I was just...rubbish, Id scraped a C at GCSE and begged to be let on the course, my teacher let me do it and everyone thought I shouldnt of been allowed to do it, I was just really determined to prove everyone wrong. Now Im by far the best in the class - determination, hardwork, and I guess a little bit of talent is all you need.

Well Done. That is a superb turn around.
Reply 13
Im not looking forward to my maths exams. Although i understand it all, i have an incredible ability to misread questions, mistake plus' for minus' etc. Its very annoying, and costly in terms of marks :mad:
JamesF
Im not looking forward to my maths exams. Although i understand it all, i have an incredible ability to misread questions, mistake plus' for minus' etc. Its very annoying, and costly in terms of marks :mad:

hmmmm i used to have the same problem,i guess when ur in a hurry u make silly little mistakes like that.They way i've got around and still am tryin to get around is 1)by doin LOADS of past qu.Espiecally the 1's in the heinmaan a'levels maths review exercises 2)Read through ur answers 2-3 times and read through them at a pace were u can analyze ur work and still have time to finish
Reply 15
wohoo 97%, not quite prefect but it's a long way off the exams! :biggrin: :biggrin:
mik1a
wohoo 97%, not quite prefect but it's a long way off the exams! :biggrin: :biggrin:

If that is 97% raw, then that would get you 100% UMS. :smile:
Reply 17
What is UMS?

I've heard about this before, and why would it gewt me 100% UMS? :confused:
Reply 18
mik1a
What is UMS?

I've heard about this before, and why would it gewt me 100% UMS? :confused:

You have no need to worry - your gunna rock P1.
UMS is a standardised mark across the whole country - its the method the exam boards use to f*** with your results. You can effectively end up with 100% even if you only get like 90 marks out of 100
Reply 19
oh :s
so when I get back my results in the summer, I'll get the letter and a raw score or UMS? or both? :confused:

Latest