The Student Room Group

Independent Student, Savings and Maintenance Grant

I'm an independent student well I will be once I start University in September 2013. At the current moment I have a few ISA's and normal Savings which are not ISA's My normal savings total to about £5000. I was told my maintenance loan won't be affected but this will affect my maintenance grant will be. Does anyone know to the extent this might affect my future maintenance grant? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
ermm dont tell them??
Reply 2
Original post by flux5454
ermm dont tell them??

That's fraud.

I know it does ask about savings; but can't find out whether and how your grant will be affected. You'd probably have to have a much bigger amount in savings than what you say you have.
Reply 3
Oh yeah I'll definitely declare my savings. I haven't had a clear answer from student finance though. All they said was that it would possibly affect my maintenance grant. I'd hate for my savings to be wiped out!
Reply 4
Original post by Jay24
I'm an independent student well I will be once I start University in September 2013. At the current moment I have a few ISA's and normal Savings which are not ISA's My normal savings total to about £5000. I was told my maintenance loan won't be affected but this will affect my maintenance grant will be. Does anyone know to the extent this might affect my future maintenance grant? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

As a current student loaner, i can tell you that i had around £2000 in my savings account...i know its not alot....but i didn't tell them a **** about it when applying for SF basically! Me Happy :biggrin:.... Simples :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hello Jay24,

Like OU Student stated previously, not declaring would be classed as fraud.

Just so you are aware, saving are not taking into consideration when assessing your application, so go ahead and declare it all.

Quick Reply

Latest