The Student Room Group

What are you choosing for A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm most probably doing Psychology, Biology, History and Philosophy & Ethics. I'm quite nervous about History and Biology because they're probably going to be quite difficult, but I'm really excited about the other two!

Original post by Alexandra's Box
I'm doing AS Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Politics if you've got any questions :smile:

Will I struggle a lot with Biology if I find all the key words and stuff difficult to remember at GCSE? Also, is it possible to get an A if I work hard enough, because I think I'm currently working at a high B/low A (even though I got an A* in the core Bio exam last year, but I still think that was a miracle :P ) so I'm worried that if I take Biology I won't be able to get the grades I need for uni, but I won't want to drop it at AS, because then I'll only have one 'traditional' subject.
Original post by AbathaZoe
I'm most probably doing Psychology, Biology, History and Philosophy & Ethics. I'm quite nervous about History and Biology because they're probably going to be quite difficult, but I'm really excited about the other two!

Will I struggle a lot with Biology if I find all the key words and stuff difficult to remember at GCSE? Also, is it possible to get an A if I work hard enough, because I think I'm currently working at a high B/low A (even though I got an A* in the core Bio exam last year, but I still think that was a miracle :P ) so I'm worried that if I take Biology I won't be able to get the grades I need for uni, but I won't want to drop it at AS, because then I'll only have one 'traditional' subject.

Well, in the exams key terminology needs to be used to get the marks. There is quite a large volume of content, though if you can succeed in History you should in Bio! Is is possible for you to have a taster session or look at the textbook? :smile:
As for the A, if you work hard - and work smart - it is possible. Sometimes people just cannot grasp a subject but that is pretty rare, hard work is what the A-graders put in.
You mention that you'd only have 'one traditional subject' - what do you think you'd like to do at uni? If it's History, you could do Eng Lit or a language instead of Bio. If it's Pysch, then Bio would be useful. If it's the P&E then you could do Eng Lit/ a language again, or another essay subject. I suppose the question is, why do you want to do Biology? If it's mainly to have an academic subject, then don't. There are many other options. Biology at my college is the one science the most people dropped, because it's the one science that is most often not taken with another science, and those who prefer essays who did it found it a lot trickier than they expected. It's the grades not the subjects (after you meet the subject requirements of course) that matter!
BUT if you do enjoy it you should try it at least, for fans of biology it's a very interesting course!
Reply 22
Biology, chemistry, further maths, maths and pe
Planning on doing maths, economics, physics and mandarin maybe further maths but I'm not sure :confused:
Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry and History
Luckily I only chose four (Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Geography A2) but you think 'oh it can't be that much work' but honestly it is a pretty huge step from GCSE. Some people don't find it as hard as others but personally I've found the transition to be pretty tough and I got pretty good GCSE results. Just don't take on too much is what I'm saying. If anyone has any questions about the subjects I take then I'm more than happy to answer :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Well, in the exams key terminology needs to be used to get the marks. There is quite a large volume of content, though if you can succeed in History you should in Bio! Is is possible for you to have a taster session or look at the textbook? :smile:
As for the A, if you work hard - and work smart - it is possible. Sometimes people just cannot grasp a subject but that is pretty rare, hard work is what the A-graders put in.
You mention that you'd only have 'one traditional subject' - what do you think you'd like to do at uni? If it's History, you could do Eng Lit or a language instead of Bio. If it's Pysch, then Bio would be useful. If it's the P&E then you could do Eng Lit/ a language again, or another essay subject. I suppose the question is, why do you want to do Biology? If it's mainly to have an academic subject, then don't. There are many other options. Biology at my college is the one science the most people dropped, because it's the one science that is most often not taken with another science, and those who prefer essays who did it found it a lot trickier than they expected. It's the grades not the subjects (after you meet the subject requirements of course) that matter!
BUT if you do enjoy it you should try it at least, for fans of biology it's a very interesting course!

Yeah, I might ask someone at school if I can have a look through a textbook or something. I probably want to do Psychology at uni, but I'm not 100% sure yet. And there are a few reasons I want to do it, I do quite enjoy it, I think it'd be useful to have a science subject and it's the one I like the most (though annoyingly, it's also the one I'm worst at!), and I think it would compliment the Psychology well and be useful if I do go on to do Psych at uni.
Original post by AbathaZoe
Yeah, I might ask someone at school if I can have a look through a textbook or something. I probably want to do Psychology at uni, but I'm not 100% sure yet. And there are a few reasons I want to do it, I do quite enjoy it, I think it'd be useful to have a science subject and it's the one I like the most (though annoyingly, it's also the one I'm worst at!), and I think it would compliment the Psychology well and be useful if I do go on to do Psych at uni.

Ah OK, Biology would be very good with Pyschology, I'd certainly consider it. It is a very interesting subject and pretty fun!
Reply 28
AL Sociology
AL Psychology
AL Anthropology
AS Human Biology
AS Chemisty

Quick Reply

Latest