The Student Room Group

(A2) AQA geography unit 4B -

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
more I think about this exam the more I want to cry
Original post by Izzy_123
Yeah my teacher said afterwards we were right to only write about the disadvantages.
I basically wrote about what was causing all the conflict; socio-economic things like displacement of people and the indigenous tribes and disease, and the cost of it all, environmental things like methane and that the energy was mainly going to industry, and deforestation and loss of biodiversity and all that rubbish, then the physical thing about the 4 month dry season and it being inefficient.
Have absolutely no clue if that was the right sort of thing to write about though??

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds about right :smile: But what I did was that I saw 'stakeholders' in the question, so I only wrote about named people/companies eg Kayapo, Xingu Vivo, WWF-Brazil. and those are the only 3 that i mentioned by name. I didn't even talk about the inefficiency or anything :/
Original post by Daniel George
1)figure 3, pie chart, how I would do the process (steps), advantages, why I dismissed other graphical tecniques

2) figure 6, comparative line graph, how I would do the process (steps), advantages, why I dismissed other graphical tecniques.

not sure if I did it right though!

Yep, that's what they wanted!! :smile: hopefully should be 12 easy marks *fingers crossed*
Well, my teacher didn't go through it in as much detail as she made out she would. But here is what she said:

- Q1: easy marks. say what method, name the steps to draw out a pie chart for P3 and a line graph for P6, and then say why those methods are good, and why others are bad
- for the Q about disadvantages, ONLY write about disadvantages, +ves not needed although not penalised
- last Q: make sure you decisively say which method/s is best and WHY. give an opinionated answer rather than +ves/-ves of each
- the question about growing economy (6 marker) - should show own research here! i.e. own data that is not in AIB
- 15 markers needed intro, discussion, conclusion
- 12 markers - not penalised if there is no decisive intro/conclusion

that's all!!! I really hope this helps eveyone calm their fears!

:biggrin:
How many marks was the exam out of? ..80?
Reply 65
Original post by hayleyvictoria
How many marks was the exam out of? ..80?

marks out of 60, ums out of 80 :smile: (I think)
wahooo A* in this exam! 90% yeyyyyy:smile:
I was just wondering whether anyone could comment on the trend of the magnitude 8-9 earthquakes in figure P3?
Original post by applicant20
I was just wondering whether anyone could comment on the trend of the magnitude 8-9 earthquakes in figure P3?

Figure 3 shows yearly fluctuations, 1994 onwards suggests an increase in both number of quakes and higher magnitudes (8-9). There is only 1 over 9+ (in 2004- this is the Indian ocean Tsunami) but its only in relation to figure 5 the slight increase in higher magnitudes is insignificant when looking at the larger time frame including the Chilean quake in 1960. :smile: hope that helped abit...

Also - 19 quakes magnitude 8+ after 1994, but only 9 before ...
(edited 10 years ago)
is this the unit 4a/b thread??

DOES anyone have the jan 2013 unit 4a paper?
Original post by DavidCrow
I did 4B in June and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to work really really hard!

A few tips:

Make sure you actually put in the work for 4A/4B and don't leave it right to the end. At our school, we only had three lessons on 4B, compared to the rest of the year for Unit 3. 40% of the A2 is based on Unit 4, and I did practically everything outside.

In terms of your decision, I didn't do 4A, but I heard that it is possible to prepare the same fieldwork for Unit 2 and Unit 4A. Additionally, as both papers use the same 'skillset' in effect, you can double up on your revision. As I've said, I didn't do this, so it is your choice, and it might be worth looking at the pre-release for 4B before you confirm your decision.

If you do decide to do 4B, remember this: outside research is key to a good grade. For the Nepal paper, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, developmental statistics, projects other charities have done, etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it. Knowing it thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your knowledge to the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks.

You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag, Wikipedia, books, anything which is related to the topic. Make a good set of notes structured around the ZigZag, answering all the questions in there as fully as you can, and make sure all your extras are included. This extra work is the one thing that differentiates you from other candidates. The ZigZag guide is useful to work through in order to bring your knowledge of the issue up to speed, but you MUST do more than just that. Having said that, there are usually questions on data presentation, stats or fieldwork too; these should be easier to identify as they are clearly referenced in the AIB itself. I would say this paper is more about geographical understanding than revision per se - in the exam because I'd gone over everything so much beforehand I knew exactly where everything was in the AIB, and it made life so much easier. I barely even used the AIB in the exam, to be honest!

Good luck

Hi David, I have just done the unit 4B exam this year and would like to settle up a concern that I have with my performance if that is fine with you? In my exam I did not make many references or quotes to the AIB in my answers unless the question specifically asked for you to do so (but this was only in one question itself). I just used the basic information in the items to build a basic structure to my answers and then used my own research to expand my answers, but did not directly reference or quote my answers by using the AIB itself. This meant that I did not actually use the AIB in my exam answers very much at all. Is this fine, or will I lose marks because of this if you are meant to make a better use of the AIB?

Thanks,
Matthew 😊
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending