The Student Room Group

Can you change your degree ?

I choose Law because i was conviced that it was what i wanted to do , but i was also passionate in studying Medicine but it requires high qualification and is very competitive ! that one of the factors that made me not to choose Medicine, but i've realised that Law isn't my thing and i'm very confused . that why i'am asking if it's possible to change my degree
Reply 1
Original post by telidebade
I choose Law because i was conviced that it was what i wanted to do , but i was also passionate in studying Medicine but it requires high qualification and is very competitive ! that one of the factors that made me not to choose Medicine, but i've realised that Law isn't my thing and i'm very confused . that why i'am asking if it's possible to change my degree

Hi =]

Yes you can change your degree (in some cases); obviously going from law to Medicine would probably depend on your grades, the number of applicants and your reasons for wanting to change degrees. Are you already at university? If so speak to your personal tutor; you probably won't be able to change your degree now but you will be able to after the first year.

My friend changed her degree, so it is do-able. It just depends on the subject and the university; but you can always ask :smile:

Good luck
xxx
Reply 2
No, i'm not in the University yet , but when i start my course next year i don't know maybe it will be possible to change it , i've discovered that law is not what i want , i just choose it to make my father happy :frown: and what do you mean with grades ? When i start next year i will try law the first week and later i will take a decision !
and another question is there Medicine in Warwick , Sussex , Manchester and Queen Mary , i'm asking because i'm an international students and i don't know if these universities have
Thnak you very much
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by telidebade
No, i'm not in the University yet , but when i start my course next year i don't know maybe it will be possible to change it , i've discovered that law is not what i want , i just choose it to make my father happy :frown: and what do you mean with grades ? When i start next year i will try law the first week and later i will take a decision !

It is often possible to change early on, or at the end of your first year (and, if doing a similar degree, proceed to second year or, if changing to a non-related degree, start from the beginning again).

Places are competitive and usually given on academic merit. They will look at the grades you have from pre-university study (e.g. A-levels) and perhaps your first year university results if applying to change at the end of your first year.

However medicine is a little different. You may only be allowed to transfer if already doing a life science degree (e.g. biology or biomedical science) and, even then, only in exceptional circumstances. If you don't have a medical degree you may need to apply through UCAS.

See Glasgow's website, for example (but note this may not be applicable to all medical schools).

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/transfersinmedicine/

You will also need to meet the usual entry requirements. For example for Medicine you usually need Chemistry and Biology at A-level or equivalent. If you don't have at least Chemistry or Biology then you certainly won't be able to transfer to medicine. Instead you will probably need to apply to a Medicine Foundation year through UCAS.

Another option is to stay with law and consider doing Medicine as a second undergraduate degree through the Graduate Entry programme. This is an accelerated programme for people who already have a degree. Though many medical schools require a life science degree, some (e.g. Newcastle) do accept any degrees so Law will be acceptable. However, Graduate Entry is at least as competitive as normal undergrad entry, will take longer and lead to further debt.

If you don't want to do Law then I'd say don't do it. You can apply next year for Medicine/Medicine foundation years. Do not expect to start a law degree and be allowed to change to Medicine as you almost certainly won't be able to.

nd another question is there Medicine in Warwick , Sussex , Manchester and Queen Mary , i'm asking because i'm an international students and i don't know if these universities have
Thnak you very much

All of those universities have Medical Schools (though Queen Mary's is called Barts and the London, and Sussex's is shared with Brighton). You can visit the websites of the universities and visit their medical faculty websites to see for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending