The Student Room Group

Good Unis that will accept ABB for Politics?

Am retaking one and so am applying for a few AAB Unis for Politics, but need to also apply for ABB incase I don't get my A.
Anyone know any good Unis? Finding it hard, they all seem to be just AAB.

Also do you think it's worth just applying for a good Uni with Politics and another subject like Sociology for a lower offer?

Thanks, x
Reply 1
reading?
Reply 2
Birmingham? I know someone who applied for it and got an ABB.
Reply 3
East Anglia, Essex (The UK's number 1 uni for Political Research, has several notable lecturers like BBC General Election night commentator prof. Anthony King), Aberystwyth (The first and finest International Politics department on earth only wants BBB!), Sussex, Swansea, Kent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys, very helpful will read into them
Reply 5
Original post by laurendarnes
Thanks a lot guys, very helpful will read into them

Hull's ABB and I think it's pretty good (for Politics, despite the name I have Politics modules), but you would have to check the league tables to see if I'm just easily pleased.
Leicester and UEA spring to mind, Keele too? Swansea is BBC but I know for a fact that it's good there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by laurendarnes
Am retaking one and so am applying for a few AAB Unis for Politics, but need to also apply for ABB incase I don't get my A.
Anyone know any good Unis? Finding it hard, they all seem to be just AAB.

Also do you think it's worth just applying for a good Uni with Politics and another subject like Sociology for a lower offer?

Thanks, x

Someone has mentioned it but I thought I'd bring to your attention- Birmingham is ABB as is UEA and Loughborough (plus those already mentioned)
Reply 8
Original post by SonnyBeatle
East Anglia, Essex (The UK's number 1 uni for Political Research, has several notable lecturers like BBC General Election night commentator prof. Anthony King), Aberystwyth (The first and finest International Politics department on earth only wants BBB!), Sussex, Swansea, Kent.

its because overall its not considered a top uni and due to its rather remote location
Edinburgh has some crazily varied offers, with BBB for Economics, for example, so take a look :smile:
Original post by The Polymath
Edinburgh has some crazily varied offers, with BBB for Economics, for example, so take a look :smile:

thats very misleading though. the offers are there to attract students from disadvantaged backgrounds and if you aren't from one you need to be predicted top grades to get in to most courses. Also Edinburgh don't like people who retake A-levels (as someone on here found out when they emailed)
Original post by jelly1000
thats very misleading though. the offers are there to attract students from disadvantaged backgrounds and if you aren't from one you need to be predicted top grades to get in to most courses. Also Edinburgh don't like people who retake A-levels (as someone on here found out when they emailed)

I agree with your post, but do any top unis like people who retake A-levels? :dontknow:
Original post by The Polymath
I agree with your post, but do any top unis like people who retake A-levels? :dontknow:

Well a load of us who were retaking two years ago emailed most of the main unis and the only ones who expressly stated they were against retakes were UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Warwick. People on here (including me) got offers from a number of Russell Group/1994 Group Uni's including Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and UEA. And at the College I went to, to retake, I knew people there retaking who got offers from Oxford (albeit one of the least popular courses), Lancaster, Southampton and Sussex and a girl who got an offer from Warwick after doing 2 Additional A-levels in a 3rd year to make up for a poor grade that she didn't want to retake.
Original post by jelly1000
Well a load of us who were retaking two years ago emailed most of the main unis and the only ones who expressly stated they were against retakes were UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Warwick. People on here (including me) got offers from a number of Russell Group/1994 Group Uni's including Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and UEA. And at the College I went to, to retake, I knew people there retaking who got offers from Oxford (albeit one of the least popular courses), Lancaster, Southampton and Sussex and a girl who got an offer from Warwick after doing 2 Additional A-levels in a 3rd year to make up for a poor grade that she didn't want to retake.

interesting :beard:

Quick Reply

Latest