The Student Room Group

Finance advice?

Hello,

I am considering studying for a degree in Psychology and then applying for medicine as a graduate.

I am considering applying for Graduate Entry Medicine AND/OR the standard five-year course as a graduate.

I have two questions (the first one has many strands, but I will count it as one question :tongue:):

1) Is it actually possible to apply for the standard 5-year course as a graduate? If so, will the degree (hopefully a 2:1 or a 1st) give me an advantage over other applicants? Also, I will hopefully have A Levels in Chemistry, Psychology, Philosophy and Sociology (let's say all A's) - will these be sufficient for the 5-year courses?

2) If I applied for a 5-year course after already having done one undergraduate degree, what funding would I be eligible for, if any?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by la95
Hello,

I am considering studying for a degree in Psychology and then applying for medicine as a graduate.

I am considering applying for Graduate Entry Medicine AND/OR the standard five-year course as a graduate.

I have two questions (the first one has many strands, but I will count it as one question :tongue:):

1) Is it actually possible to apply for the standard 5-year course as a graduate? If so, will the degree (hopefully a 2:1 or a 1st) give me an advantage over other applicants? Also, I will hopefully have A Levels in Chemistry, Psychology, Philosophy and Sociology (let's say all A's) - will these be sufficient for the 5-year courses?

Yes, no, probably - different med schools have different requirements.

2) If I applied for a 5-year course after already having done one undergraduate degree, what funding would I be eligible for, if any?

Thanks!

Maintenance loan in years 1-5 and NHS bursary in year 5. That's it. No tuition fee loan or grants or whatever else.
Reply 2
Hang on are you already studying a different degree currently?
If you're currently not even an undergraduate, don't bother with GEM. Try a foundation course if you don't have the right A-levels. GEM will be the bane of your life, and you'll hate doing a degree if it's not what you want to do.

Likewise, GEM financially is very tough. You'll find it much easier even doing the 6-year foundation.
Reply 4
Original post by MattKneale
GEM will be the bane of your life, and you'll hate doing a degree if it's not what you want to do.

Ahh, so you've reached *that* point have you? It was bound to happen sooner or later :wink:

:console:
Original post by Democracy
Ahh, so you've reached *that* point have you? It was bound to happen sooner or later :wink:

:console:

Haha well rather than 'hate' it, I think it's more of a general loathing to having to wait to do what I really want to do.

If I had to stick with biomedical science, I think I could have a happy career... it's just not where my real passion lies :smile:
Reply 6
Haha well rather than 'hate' it, I think it's more of a general loathing to having to wait to do what I really want to do.

If I had to stick with biomedical science, I think I could have a happy career... it's just not where my real passion lies :smile:

If I hadn't got out when I did I'd probably be in a padded cell somewhere by now :flute:
Original post by Democracy
If I hadn't got out when I did I'd probably be in a padded cell somewhere by now :flute:

You're a lucky man! I think the real thing that put me off it all was the stupid competition for even basic jobs these days. I know getting into medicine as a graduate is no easy feat but when you're applying for a mere trainee post amongst people with PhDs it suddenly looks a lot more of a feasible option.

If I'm going to have to compete, I may as well do it for something I really, really want to do!
Reply 8
If you're currently not even an undergraduate, don't bother with GEM. Try a foundation course if you don't have the right A-levels. GEM will be the bane of your life, and you'll hate doing a degree if it's not what you want to do.

Likewise, GEM financially is very tough. You'll find it much easier even doing the 6-year foundation.

Thanks for your advice!

I don't have the right A Levels and thus I was considering a foundation year, but there are so few places on the foundation degrees that I truly don't believe I have a chance with my GCSEs and AS Levels.
Original post by la95
Thanks for your advice!

I don't have the right A Levels and thus I was considering a foundation year, but there are so few places on the foundation degrees that I truly don't believe I have a chance with my GCSEs and AS Levels.

Care to share what you've got? We can help you pick out some possible options if you tell us more :smile:
Reply 10
Care to share what you've got? We can help you pick out some possible options if you tell us more :smile:

At AS Level I have Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and Health & Social Care (dropped) at AAAB respectively - I'm aiming for at least A*A*A at A2.

My GCSE's are VERY bad though...A*A* in English Lang & Lit, B in Science (it's single science, but it's all three sciences mixed into one), and C in foundation Maths. Aside from those, I have A*AAABBBC with an A in short course R.E. and an A* in a second language subject I can speak as a first language. Not a great academic profile for this course. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by la95
At AS Level I have Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and Health & Social Care (dropped) at AAAB respectively - I'm aiming for at least A*A*A at A2.

My GCSE's are VERY bad though...A*A* in English Lang & Lit, B in Science (it's single science, but it's all three sciences mixed into one), and C in foundation Maths. Aside from those, I have A*AAABBBC with an A in short course R.E. and an A* in a second language subject I can speak as a first language. Not a great academic profile for this course. :tongue:

I think you have the common problem of thinking your grades are terrible when they are, in fact, not that bad. The only real stumbling block you might have is through single science -- see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements for exact requirements, but you'd be best contacting the schools directly -- especially those who only require C's or above in Maths (such as Peninsula).

Unfortunately my knowledge of undergraduate-entry is limited as I'm a GEM applicant, but GCSEs aren't the main entrance point for a lot of schools. Your AS, predicted A levels and entrance exam are very important for other schools. You just have to apply strategically and don't apply to places like B'ham who are anal about GCSEs.
Reply 12
I think you have the common problem of thinking your grades are terrible when they are, in fact, not that bad. The only real stumbling block you might have is through single science -- see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements for exact requirements, but you'd be best contacting the schools directly -- especially those who only require C's or above in Maths (such as Peninsula).

Unfortunately my knowledge of undergraduate-entry is limited as I'm a GEM applicant, but GCSEs aren't the main entrance point for a lot of schools. Your AS, predicted A levels and entrance exam are very important for other schools. You just have to apply strategically and don't apply to places like B'ham who are anal about GCSEs.

Thank you! :smile:

Do you know whether GCSE Physics is necessary if not done at AS/A Level by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending