The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
One bad thing about being in a "bad place" is the fact that it's seriously started impacting on my work. Being a freelancer, taking any kind of leave isn't possible because I don't get pay, and I can't afford to take a break. Bloody hell.

Started getting bad feedback, which has never ever happened to me before- and one employer earlier accused of lying about being a native English writer because there were so many errors! I'm sure that was a slight exaggeration and he was probably partly trying to pull a fast one about having to pay the full rate, but I can't afford to start getting these stupid reviews, it will put people off me in the future :frown:!

What a moron, accusing you of lying.

Perhaps you should reduce how much work you take on, until you can formulate a plan of action.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One bad thing about being in a "bad place" is the fact that it's seriously started impacting on my work. Being a freelancer, taking any kind of leave isn't possible because I don't get pay, and I can't afford to take a break. Bloody hell.

Started getting bad feedback, which has never ever happened to me before- and one employer earlier accused of lying about being a native English writer because there were so many errors! I'm sure that was a slight exaggeration and he was probably partly trying to pull a fast one about having to pay the full rate, but I can't afford to start getting these stupid reviews, it will put people off me in the future :frown:!

:hugs: I really hope things improve for you soon :frown:

-----

So, from next week, I'm going to be working full time for 4 weeks. This could be interesting - I've never actually worked full time before. I need to work out how to keep fitting my exercise in around working as well.

I guess it'll jst be a case of getting up earlier to run, but I don't want to end up exhausting myself. People work full time and fit in exercise, so I know it's possible :tongue: Just got to work out how to make it work for me.
Going to have to restart my weight loss. I've been stuck at around 84kg for the past couple of weeks :sadnod: Going to have to go back to a stricter diet :sigh:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];41982501']:hugs: I really hope things improve for you soon :frown:

-----

So, from next week, I'm going to be working full time for 4 weeks. This could be interesting - I've never actually worked full time before. I need to work out how to keep fitting my exercise in around working as well.

I guess it'll jst be a case of getting up earlier to run, but I don't want to end up exhausting myself. People work full time and fit in exercise, so I know it's possible :tongue: Just got to work out how to make it work for me.

I started a full time job last September and I also have found it difficult to fit in exercise (particularly the gym as I don't drive and rely on buses). I have actually just cancelled my membership as I don't use it. I do Pilates videos on YouTube in the evenings and when the weather improves I'm going to start running I think (could start now but I am a wimp in the cold :tongue:)

I'm sure you will find a good routine as you are very determined :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So my first day back at the gym failed miserably as my friend bailed on me. :frown: Really need more reliable friends. I made plans with two different people, one for Tuesday and one for today and they both cancelled. Just because of the way my knees are at the moment I don't want to go without someone I know in case my knee locks out or something. Urgh it's frustrating.....
Just been for a run. At the moment, I just try running round the block where I live, which is about a third of a mile. I can only manage about a third of that at the moment, before having to walk for a bit. I absolutely HATE the feeling I get when I'm running, the throat burning feeling. I can cope with tired legs, that's fine, but the feeling in my throat is horrible. It lasts for ages after I've finished exercising as well. I know the only thing that can improve it is to keep training, but honestly I can't see myself being able to improve much because I dread that burning feeling so much!

EDIT: Hope nobody fainted at the news that I had actually been for a run OUTSIDE.
Just been for a run. At the moment, I just try running round the block where I live, which is about a third of a mile. I can only manage about a third of that at the moment, before having to walk for a bit. I absolutely HATE the feeling I get when I'm running, the throat burning feeling. I can cope with tired legs, that's fine, but the feeling in my throat is horrible. It lasts for ages after I've finished exercising as well. I know the only thing that can improve it is to keep training, but honestly I can't see myself being able to improve much because I dread that burning feeling so much!

EDIT: Hope nobody fainted at the news that I had actually been for a run OUTSIDE.

*Picks self up off the floor* Well done!

You just have to stick with it. I've never had the feeling you mention thankfully.

I've been for 2 horrible runs so far this week, 8 mile and 12 mile. Need to go for a biggun at the weekend but there is a little pain on the back of my knee so not sure if it's a good idea. When will I be able to put the leggings away and go for a nice warm run in my shorts :frown:
Reply 3567

Are you getting really out of breath to get this throat burning feeling? If so, it may be the case that you would be better off working upto jogging by walking quickly (say 8km/h or so) and going for as long as you can without getting out of breath and then pulling back to recover and going again a couple of times to try and build up the cardiovascular endurance.

If your throat is burning before you are getting thoroughly out of breath, I would have to wonder whether you are in fact suffering from acid reflux brought on by the jogging. If that is the case, you probably need to sort that out seperately (either by making changes in your diet or going to the doctor to get some PPIs) before you are going to make any pain free progress.
Original post by Mark85
Are you getting really out of breath to get this throat burning feeling? If so, it may be the case that you would be better off working upto jogging by walking quickly (say 8km/h or so) and going for as long as you can without getting out of breath and then pulling back to recover and going again a couple of times to try and build up the cardiovascular endurance.

If your throat is burning before you are getting thoroughly out of breath, I would have to wonder whether you are in fact suffering from acid reflux brought on by the jogging. If that is the case, you probably need to sort that out seperately (either by making changes in your diet or going to the doctor to get some PPIs) before you are going to make any pain free progress.

Yeah I'm out of breath- it's definitely a fitness thing, it's different to reflux. Thanks for the walking idea I may try that. Really don't want to give up on this, I have to be able to run 5k by July 14th!
I have just looked in the mirror after eating a McDonald's and a double chin has appeared. Something needs to be done!
I'm 5"3 and 11st 3lbs. I want to be 10st.
Reply 3570
Yeah I'm out of breath- it's definitely a fitness thing, it's different to reflux. Thanks for the walking idea I may try that. Really don't want to give up on this, I have to be able to run 5k by July 14th!

You will easily get upto doing 5k in that time. The key is to realistically gauge your current ability and only push yourself slightly beyond that each time. So if you literally can't jog any distance without getting painfully out of breath, you have to start with walking, increase the pace and build up to a slow jog.

This is the key to training intelligently - you have to train relative to your own parameters. The good news is that if you stick with that, the initial progress can be rapid.
Reply 3571
Was doing so well this easter so far, not going over my calorie intake by more than 50, until today when my mum brought the new dairy milk nutty caramel (chocolates my weakness) and 1 try of a chunk of 39 calories became a whole bar so now my dinner is basically going consist of a tiny proportion of chickpea curry or porridge and a protein shake just to make sure I meet my macros and don't go way over my calories :s-smilie:, this sunday however a whole easter egg will have to be devoured no matter how little calories for protein it contains:colone:
Reply 3572
Speaking of Easter eggs, I had the ridiculous idea to try and make an easter egg for my other half, mostly because I bought a mug that came without one and thought I could make my own combo. Unfortunately, it went a tad moody (read: total **** up) and so I have consigned it to the bin. Guess I will have to get down the shops for one.
Original post by Mark85
Speaking of Easter eggs, I had the ridiculous idea to try and make an easter egg for my other half, mostly because I bought a mug that came without one and thought I could make my own combo. Unfortunately, it went a tad moody (read: total **** up) and so I have consigned it to the bin. Guess I will have to get down the shops for one.

I bought an Easter lollipop kit from Tesco for £2 and I shall be making them tomorrow. Not sure if I'm 2 or 22 but never mind!
So so so glad I've been told about this thread!

Only just started my new regime/diet/lifestyle change, whatever you want to call it but I already feel as if I'm doing myself a favour.
I used to shovel in so much food just because I could and because I loved it. I was never particularly overweight since I'm really tall (it seems to do me a favour) and my BMI has never been more than 22 but I just had the odd wobbly bit which I really didn't like.
I am 6'0-6'1 tall, weigh 160lbs, UK 12 and I'm looking to get to around 133-140lbs is my dream goal but just losing anything would be great. I don't particularly have a set timescale, but loosing anything by the end of May would be fab and to have lost a nice amount by the end of September would be amazing.
I have started out by cutting out the rubbish and making my portions smaller, as well as walking to places such as my sixth form more. That is a 2.6 mile round trip and it doesn't take me too long so it suits me.
I can't say I'm going jogging or swimming because I'm not, do you think this will hinder me?
I'm hoping to go on bike rides when the weather improves more.
I have been logging what I eat on MyFitnessPal and I love being able to visualise what I need to do etc.
My goal is 1560 calories a day to lose a pound a week, but my net this week has been around 1000 calories a day, yikes! I don't think that can be too good for me but I'll see how that pans out. Except for one day, where I went way over and ate 2000 with no exercise...
My MFP username is sixfeettall and I would absolutely love some friends on there, so far I have none :frown:
It would be great to share ideas and so I can get motivation off someone and vice versa :biggrin:
Anyone working full time and managing to keep their diets in check? I seem to do really well (mostly!) all week and then the weekend (i.e Friday as soon as I finish work!) I just eat rubbish until I go to bed Sunday night.

How do you keep your weekends in check?

Also, I just discovered the tricep press up. Oh my god. OUCH!
Original post by balloon_parade
Anyone working full time and managing to keep their diets in check? I seem to do really well (mostly!) all week and then the weekend (i.e Friday as soon as I finish work!) I just eat rubbish until I go to bed Sunday night.

I'm working full time, but I'm a freelance writer/proofreader/editor and work from home most of the time so that's a little different I suppose. I find it fine keeping my diet in check, but I have very little time to exercise when work is heavy. I can't plan exercise sessions because people always throw work at me and it has to be done there and then, so anything planned goes out of the window.

I don't really have weekends off either so they're not a problem. I know how unhelpful that is haha sorry.

I think maybe you need to find some healthy snacks that you like! For example I love eating cherry tomatoes and pickled onions, and I often snack on those (but then again I am a little odd).
Original post by balloon_parade

It's all about planning. Plan your meals and you will stick to healthy food. Cheaper as well because you don't need to go to the shop as often and end up falling for "offers".
We write a plan every week then shop once, we sometimes have to go one more time for milk, bread or eggs, but it is definitely a better way of shopping. Have lots of backup options in the freezer as well!
My birthday = Red Hot buffet, a 5 course curry and Chinese buffet in the space of four days. Along with copious amounts of birthday cake. Dreading weighing myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3579
Original post by Mark85

thats such a nice idea. make sure she knows that you tried!.

Quick Reply

Latest