The Student Room Group

Countryside or Big City uni?

What are pros and cons?
I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both. Being in the countryside is nice and peaceful, but I imagine the nightlife isn't as great as a city university, and I would bet that some people feel quite cut off. It would possibly be a bit cheaper in the countryside though, which is always a bonus! A big city university would be more exciting, as there is likely to be more things to do and would have a kind of 'buzz' to it. But it might be a bit loud sometimes when you want to get away from it all, and of course, it is more expensive in the city.
For me, campus university's are friendlier and you feel like part of a society. I can walk from one end to the other end of mine and see someone I know. City university's are essentially just buildings spread out over a city. Though some people may like living in a city, rather than surrounded by other students on a campus. Obviously some campus unis are near a city anyway and not in the 'countryside,' so you get best of both.
But for example, the county's surrounding Bath are in the countryside, although Bath itself is a city. You can easily get to the countryside if you want to.
Just visit different types and see which you like.
Go to Yorkshire and you have the best of both :smile:
Somewhere like Birmingham & Nottingham, which are both campus unis in big city, could be a good compromise.
Reply 5
I wasn't aware there were many universities in the countryside....Exeter's Cornwall Campus, University of the Highlands and Islands, some Cumbria campuses, Royal Agricultural College...

By countryside do you just mean campus based universities, located outside (or on the outskirts) of a city, or located within a small city?
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
For me, campus university's are friendlier and you feel like part of a society. I can walk from one end to the other end of mine and see someone I know. City university's are essentially just buildings spread out over a city. Though some people may like living in a city, rather than surrounded by other students on a campus. Obviously some campus unis are near a city anyway and not in the 'countryside,' so you get best of both.

You get that 'society' feeling in a lot of city universities too - the buildings are invariably very close together, and the only real difference is that outside traffic & members of the public can wander through. Despite going to Britain's largest single-site university, I can't remember the last time I went to uni and didn't bump into someone I know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending