The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grade good enough for Durham/Oxford?

Hi guys :smile:
I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics (also History, but that's an extra AS level) at college and would like to do a Chemical Engineering degree at either Durham or Oxford.

My GCSE grades are:
Maths- A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Biology-A*
History-A*
English lit-A*
English Lang- A
Health and Social- AA
German- B
IT- Merit
I also got an A in Additional maths (FSMQ)

I'm aiming for all As this year (and A*s next year, in the 4 subjects) so I was just wondering how much getting a B and Merit at GCSE would impact the decision of the universities? I really want to go to Durham, it seems perfect! I just want to know if it's realistic.

Also, for chemical engineering should I maybe take up Biology next year just for the AS year? I will be dropping History either way but I would like to know if Biology would help me for Chemical engineering.

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sorry, but there's no way... You need at LEAST 16A*s for a chance at Durham or Oxford.
I think you will be fine! After all, Oxford don't care about IT so getting a Merit really won't matter. The B in German is on the lower side but I know people who have been accepted with a B in a foreign language and he had to retake it twice, as long as he had it they didn't mind.
Just focus on your grades this year and get really good work experience and it will be fine :smile:
Durham of course and Oxford most likely so.

But you would have to achieve your as and A2 targets.
Reply 4
Lol my brother got into cambridge with 4 a's 3 b's and 2 c's graduated 2007, so im assuming yes, but my friend told me this week they upped their requierments to 10 a* im thinking its bs, anyway just continue with what your doing and make sure you can write a good personal statement (do volunteer work etc...), you should easily get into durham with 4 a* and a levels and those gcses
Reply 5
picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

If you have to ask that then no, you're not.

Also negged you for trying to get people to reaffirm your ego.
Reply 6
Original post by Achilleasrn
I'm sorry, but there's no way... You need at LEAST 16A*s for a chance at Durham or Oxford.

16?! That's ridiculous, at a normal school (not grammar/private) you don't even get to have 16 GCSEs!
What am I supposed to do? :'(
Reply 7
Original post by yasmin9753
16?! That's ridiculous, at a normal school (not grammar/private) you don't even get to have 16 GCSEs!

Me believes you did not pick up on the sarcasm there.
Reply 8
yes.

mine were worse. I got an offer
Reply 9

Pretty sure it was a joke
Reply 10
Listen dont worry for Durham aslong as you keep it up you have a 99.99% chance, I cant speak for Oxford but those GCSE's are very good and seem like Oxford material
Reply 11
Original post by spitss
picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

If you have to ask that then no, you're not.

Also negged you for trying to get people to reaffirm your ego.

I'm not, I'm genuinely worried about this because If I can't get in then I need to be more realistic. I need to know whether I should not bother wasting an offer on oxford if I can't get in and whether I should be looking at lower universities. I thought this was what the student room was for? :confused:
Reply 12
Original post by ROSSYROO
Me believes you did not pick up on the sarcasm there.

oh right, sorry. I'm just stressing out a bit here.
Reply 13

Universities care more about letters on a sheet than common sense so you should be okay!
No, your awful GCSEs mean you're condemned to a second-rate university and dead-end job for the rest of your life.
Reply 15
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
No, your awful GCSEs mean you're condemned to a second-rate university and dead-end job for the rest of your life.

I would appreciate less of the sarcasm...
Oxford is really hard to get into so I wanted to know how realistic I was being (as I have already stated) I wouldn't mind going to others but if you can get into a better university, you'd go wouldn't you? I just have too many places that I want to apply at the moment so I was trying to narrow it down.
Reply 16
Hi guys :smile:
I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics (also History, but that's an extra AS level) at college and would like to do a Chemical Engineering degree at either Durham or Oxford.

My GCSE grades are:
Maths- A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Biology-A*
History-A*
English lit-A*
English Lang- A
Health and Social- AA
German- B
IT- Merit
I also got an A in Additional maths (FSMQ)

I'm aiming for all As this year (and A*s next year, in the 4 subjects) so I was just wondering how much getting a B and Merit at GCSE would impact the decision of the universities? I really want to go to Durham, it seems perfect! I just want to know if it's realistic.

Also, for chemical engineering should I maybe take up Biology next year just for the AS year? I will be dropping History either way but I would like to know if Biology would help me for Chemical engineering.

Hey, I'm applying for Cambridge which is arguably on a similar level. rI got 4A*s and 7 A's at GCSE with 4 a's at aslevel. My friend recieved similar gcses to you and she got a B in one of her AS Levels. We both have recieved interviews which is half way there. Theres nothing holding you back!
That's enough for Durham and Oxford. With Durham you're practically guaranteed an offer if you shore that up with good performance in AS levels. Since you're applying to Oxford, you should put plenty of work in to understanding your subjects.
I think what this thread demonstrates is GCSE grades do not equal intelligence or common sense in the slightest!
No. Never. You need at least 27 A* at GCSE never mind A level. In fact just give up the idea of uni now. It's for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest