University of Sussex
Brighton

Why is Sussex not in the Russell Group?

Scroll to see replies

No doubt it would be if it could...
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Sussex's research output (at least for physics) is as good as the top universities in terms of quality (our lecturers often get prestigious grants) but the departments are smaller so get less money and produce less research than larger Russell Group unis.
Original post by Smack
Because the Russell Group has absolutely nothing to do with "prestige" and everything to do with research incomes, and also a fair amount to do with being a large, multi-faculty university as well.

Russell Group uni's are prestigious to a point. The majority of research income goes to them, along with the best PHD students.

When you make such sweeping statements maybe you should underline how research income is perhaps secondary importance to undergraduates, but of primary importance to postgraduates. In this sense, to some, Russell Group uni's are the most prestigious. Big global companies are not cultivating partnerships with Bath or Sussex, but they are with Nottingham and KCL.
Original post by Meat is Murder
Big global companies are not cultivating partnerships with Bath or Sussex, but they are with Nottingham and KCL.

Eh, how on earth do you know this? I've worked at two companies which could easily be described as big or global and they cultivated partnerships with local and modern universities, most of which are in neither the Russell or 1994 Group.
Original post by discomposure
Well it takes around half an hour on the bus to get to right near the pier, loads of clubs and pubs are around there so that's probably the main place you'll go at night. It takes like 20mins to get to Sainsburys or Churchill Square shopping center from campus. Buses run all night too & come every 5 minutes in the day which is brilliant :smile:

8 minutes by train to Brighton and it's cheaper (£3 bus vs. £2.10 train with railcard or £3.20 without). I don't get why most people prefer the bus!
Original post by thefunktopus69
8 minutes by train to Brighton and it's cheaper (£3 bus vs. £2.10 train with railcard or £3.20 without). I don't get why most people prefer the bus!

The bus is only £2.50 for a same-day return as long as you buy it before midnight. Plus the bus stops are pretty much outside each halls, it's like a 30 second walk :p: Also the clubs we go to are mostly near the beach & the bus stop is closer than the train station to them. ALSO trains to Falmer stop at around midnight.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by discomposure
The bus is only £2.50 for a same-day return as long as you buy it before midnight. Plus the bus stops are pretty much outside each halls, it's like a 30 second walk :p: Also the clubs we go to are mostly near the beach & the bus stop is closer than the train station to them. ALSO trains to Falmer stop at around midnight.

Bus fares went up last week :P
Reply 27
Won't make any difference , it will still be 2nd rate along with many other RG2 unis.
Please take me as research project. Austin's resident. I have had demodix mites and for two years. Help have Autism and early Alzheimer.Kathy Pace P.O. Box 40404, Austin, Texas 78704
They do have a medical school!P.J.Holloway ex Sussex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending