The Student Room Group

Nicotine as a cure for stress

As the exam periods approach, the number of cigarettes i'm smoking is gradually increasing... due to the fact that i am almost always skint, being able to afford a new pack of ciggies each time I run out seems to further increase my stress and therefore my need for some release.

I don't wanna quit because I enjoy smoking, but I do want to cut down... can anyone suggest a better way to releave stress to ease both my mind and my wallet???
start searching ashtrays for other peoples left overs....

That will soon put you off...

Take up a new stress busting hobby such as sex :wink:
Reply 2
hehe... thanks for the advice, but tbh, my sex life has never been as active as it is now, though yes i could not agree more that it kicks stress out of the window beautifully.

The one problem with it however.... as both I and my girlfriend are smokers, we have for some reason adopted the stereotype of smoking after sex XP
thats not very romantic...why not suggest you quit together?
Have a cuddle after? Or as you are so skint crack open the white lightening :wink:

Everytime you crave a fag, do something else like get up an go for a walk round/5 knuckle shuffle/whatever takes your fancy? Occupy yourself; it's all in the mind!
Reply 4
actually.... it's more romantic than it sounds... we share one and then lie down in each others arms :smile:

and btw... "white lightning".... you dirty bugger, that's nasty stuff
Reply 5
Wear nicotine patches. But they'll cost money too. Chew nicotine gum, but that costs money too.

Are you getting the picture?
mungukwachupi
actually.... it's more romantic than it sounds... we share one and then lie down in each others arms :smile:

Sorry not a smoker, so just have the typical 'man sits on edge of bed and lights up' image

and i was joking about white lightening, its vile, but cheap...
drink tea instead.
Well, I know for a fact when I'm getting more sex I have no TIME for cigs, then again, no time for work either, usually resulting in me getting more stressed.

Just allow yourself the odd cig when you're revising, do it as a treat sorta thing.

Sounds weird but works for me.
Reply 9
LiverSwings
Well, I know for a fact when I'm getting more sex I have no TIME for cigs, then again, no time for work either, usually resulting in me getting more stressed.

Just allow yourself the odd cig when you're revising, do it as a treat sorta thing.

Sounds weird but works for me.

Yeh, that works for me aswell. Last term at uni in the last couple of weeks I managed to cut down to about 2 or 3 a day by just allowing them as a treat. I think it also helped that I was sleeping most of the day but shh :wink: I also started excercising lots and got a bit of a buzz out of that. You could maybe try going for a jog?

Just keep yourself busy and have them as rewards for revision. But these things never have a magic solution, it will take a little bit of willpower on your part too :smile:
when i was quitting, i wrote CANCER on my hand in big black letters. it really made me think twice about every cigarette i was about to smoke.....
mungukwachupi

and btw... "white lightning".... you dirty bugger, that's nasty stuff

I won't have a bad word said about it!!!!!!

:wink:
mademoiselle84
when i was quitting, i wrote CANCER on my hand in big black letters. it really made me think twice about every cigarette i was about to smoke.....
Says that on the packet anyway??

Money was more of a motivator for me when I tried quitting rather than health issues. Shows how highly I value myself I suppose :redface:
Just stop it.

Willpower is the key to everything.

No excuses, just stop.

Latest

Trending

Trending